Geforce 5500 Bad Bios Flash

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by ubersoldat, Feb 22, 2010.

1. ubersoldat

ubersoldat New Member

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 6670
    Hi,

I have a sparkle geforce fx5500 256MB AGP card. I tried to flash the bios using wfflash with a Geforce 5500 128 MB bios but the process got stuck. Now I cant boot using the Agp card. I get three long beeps and the caps lock light on the keyboard keeps on blinking while booting. I know the flashing procedure failed. Could anyone please tell me how I can restore the original bios on my Geforce fx5500 256MB AGP 8X card?

Regards,
    Ubersoldat

2. MM10X

MM10X Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vega 56
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2010
  3. Dustpuppy

Dustpuppy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    integrated - fffffffuuuuu
    It might be possible to flash the bios with a floppy, but you'll have to look in your motherboards manual to find out if it's possible to do so.

Did you check the back of the motherboard/PC for a vga port? Most older computers came with an output for video on the mobo itself. If it does you might be able to disconnect the graphics card and switch the default adapter to whatever your integrated adapter is in the bios. That *may* allow you to boot and flash again.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2010
  4. Markgpl

Markgpl Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 5700 Mech OC
    You should check bios with another card, if video bios cacheable (or similar, sorry don't remember exact words) it would bug any bios flashing.

5. otaku

otaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    8800,640gts sli
    using a pci card cant you just force flash anyway? its been a while since ive flashed anything.

6. ubersoldat

ubersoldat New Member

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 6670
    Thanks for your kind replies. I bow to thee...:)

MM10X, I am from India and i have no plans even to dream about the Radeon 3650 :)

Dustpuppy, The motherboard is a Compaq Intel 815 with Agp 4X and onboard i815 Gfx. Tried to boot through onboard Gfx but I cant get to see anything because the bios isn't loading:(

Markgpl, no such option in bios.

otaku Guru, the bios has no option like to set the primary display to pci or agp/onboard.

I will buy a new pci display card soon to see whether I can flash my dead card:O. Also, I am keen to know whether the bios can be flashed to a 5700Le version? And I did not find any option to erase the bios of the Geforce 5500 in Nvflash 5.72 and 5.88. The erase option does exist in version 4.41 and 4.46 but for my bad luck it doesn't support the 5500...I am hoping for further help from all you Gurus of 3D :)

7. Hammie

Hammie Banned

GPU:
    760 SMG 28"
    This is video card BIOS or motherboard BIOS , Once you do a bad flash the chip is dead perdiod. You have to take out the CMOS chip and send it in to your motherboard company and they will send you a chip back with latest BIOS on it already.

and if its a video card BIOS the card is dead... gl

8. otaku

otaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    8800,640gts sli
    im not sure if i get what your saying because ive recovered a bad flash a few times with a pci card and using the blind flash method

EDIT: ubersoldat have you tried doing a blind force flash?

9. Homeless

Homeless Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 275
    That's completely false information

10. Homeless

Homeless Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 275
    Your options are to get a pci card and flash the agp one, or blind flash it

11. ubersoldat

ubersoldat New Member

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 6670
    Thanks for your kind replies 3D Gurus :)

EDIT: Otaku (Maha guru) & Homeless, I am unaware of the blind force flash method. It would be great if you guys give me some information on this...

3D Gurus, I would also like to know:
    1.) Whether the Bios of a Geforce FX5500 256Mb can be flashed to Geforce 5700LE?
    2.) Will it be possible to flash the corrupted nVidia agp card with a pci graphic card having a Ati Rage Chipset?

I am hoping for the very best.

Regards,
    Ubersoldat

Last edited: Feb 23, 2010
  12. ST19AG_WGreymon

ST19AG_WGreymon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 970 SC ACX 2.0
    No.

Greymon

13. Grim_2o0o

Grim_2o0o Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 570 Nitro +
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2010
  14. Homeless

Homeless Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 275
    A blind flash is just getting to the command prompt and flashing the card without seeing anything on the screen. Create some type of floppy/usb bootdisk and get into dos mode. From there use nvflash with the flags -4 -5 -6 and flash your card with the proper bios. Assuming you did everything correctly, after reboot you should have post on your screen

15. ubersoldat

ubersoldat New Member

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 6670
    Hmm, so there is a need to buy a floppy drive also :) . I am glad that there are so many members here who take keen interest in solving issues of fellow members. Thanks again :)

Edit: Homeless, I have tried using nvflash 4.41 and 4.46 and they both do not support the Geforce 5500. I do have a backup of my original bios. Will see if these options work in nvflash 5.7*...

I will try to do all the things that have been mentioned by you Gurus of 3D. Will let you know about the end result very soon :)

Regards,
    Ubersoldat