GeForce 466.77 WHQL driver download & discussion

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by valorex, Jun 10, 2021.

1. kman

kman Master Guru

GPU:
    1080ti Strix
    have not yet.
    If I remember correctly a 3080 is already in msi mode by default so that would leave audio left.

There's no downside to 10bit right?Might just stay on 10bit/max performance tbh.Can't be arsed to ddu clean a gpu driver atm.
    [​IMG]
    Playing/twitch and all sorts of stuff in the background.It works with max perf/10bit.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2021
  2. Baldassano

Baldassano Member Guru

GPU:
    2x MSI 1080ti SHWK
    Its slowly becoming a moot point, as im doing a complete system upgrade as soon as i can procure a 3090/3090ti/3080ti.. If i have to live on the 457's so be it, they run perfectly fine, reinstalled them last night, zero issues. Manuel tweeted me asking about it, i replied. Something with the 460 branch is just borked with my configuration.. It could be a million things, motherboard, chipset, memory, blah.. the only thing i will say its not is windows itself because previous drivers are fine, every single one past 460 has had this pausing issue.. Its windows explorer that gets locked, games lock, browsers lock.. its random, but when it does it , it does it hardcore. Also only with SLI Enabled.

If i can somehow magically procure a new card, im all set with a massive upgrade (read #OblivionPC on twitter).. and should set me right. I more put this out there for those who may be running in the same thing. Thanks for the words tho, always appreciated.
    Also yes, i do slim driver, regular install, i have tried it all.. to no avail.

3. dsbig

dsbig Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2070
    sometimes when starting the netflix app. the driver resets when it starts playing previews of shows.

4. ManuelG

ManuelG NVIDIA Rep

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 2080 FE
    We do not use MPO in 10-bit color mode which is why it is not showing this issue. If you do not want or can't use 10-bit color, you can use the registry key from the FAQ below to disable MPO:
    https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5157/

Lily GFX, Cave Waverider and Granacks like this.

5. Cave Waverider

Cave Waverider Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090 ROG Strix
    That explains a lot. Would it be possible to add an MPO toggle to the Nvidia Control Panel? On the driver level, I mean. 10 bit where you have MPO disabled by default still performs better than 8 bit with MPO disabled via registry for some reason.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2021
    SerjRozov likes this.
  6. kman

kman Master Guru

GPU:
    1080ti Strix
    Yea this.

7. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    The DPC issue with MPO's is likely not a driver issue, but an application issue that needs to be progressively weeded out of the applications being used,

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/wi...d3dkmddi-dxgkddi_postmultiplaneoverlaypresent

8. kman

kman Master Guru

GPU:
    1080ti Strix
    I mean if you go back enough drivers it doesn't happen.(cough* 457.51) What else could it be if it doesn't happen in a much older driver?Something is getting introduced in the newest driver is what I mean.

Just my observation.

9. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    the old drivers don't have mpo

10. Cave Waverider

Cave Waverider Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090 ROG Strix
    I don't really know about DPC Latency spikes since I don't check that, but I do have noticeable stuttering in games that don't support full screen exclusive/don't have full screen optimizations disabled when I use 8 bit without MPO disabled (although there is a little stuttering here and there with it as well). If I set it to 10 bit in the Nvidia Control Panel, all the game stutter is gone. Now this may be related or not, but there's definitely a problem somewhere, and it seems to me that disabling MPOs on a driver level (like Nvidia did for 10 bit color) works best (since older drivers without MPO don't exhibit that problem), so it would be nice to have an option to toggle it on/off on a driver level in the Control panel at least. So even if it isn't a driver issue, it may be a good idea to add this workaround to the driver/control panel until the feature runs smoothly (Nvidia was able to disable MPO from a driver level for 10 bit color, so I'd assume a driver level toggle should be possible, even for 8 bit and maybe work better than the registry entry does).

Last edited: Jun 19, 2021

11. tty8k

tty8k Master Guru

GPU:
    Ati 5850
    It makes sense now, thanks for the answer.

Regarding Optimal Power clocks, is there anyway to edit the P states ?
    Even unconventional, but not willing to rewrite a custom bios, maybe some software or registry entries.

For example, while using Chrome+4k video or Photoshop (any desktop app) the card (rtx 3070) is using P8 (lowest) mostly which is just not working well given the clocks are just 210MHz/405MHz (gpu/mem).
    On my 165Hz screen I get stuttering and hiccups even when moving a explorer window on desktop not to mention moving layers in photoshop etc.
    The DPS latency is also close to 900us in this P state (vs 270us in boost clocks).
    I'd reckon the card should use more of P5 or P3 for desktop apps rather than P8 which is basically idle clock (even these need to be tested).

clocks.jpg

Last edited: Jun 19, 2021
  12. RKKA

RKKA New Member

GPU:
    Aorus RTX3080 EXTR
    I wonder, do the recent drivers limit the power supply somehow?

I have an Aorus RTX 3080 Extreme, with older driver (465.89 as I remember), and the F2 vBIOS my card was taking 430W (up to 450W enabled in vBIOS).. was still very cool with ~65°C and i had no problems running 2100MHz very stable.

now, I messed ob with the configuration and have updated the vBIOS to F6, using the latest driver 466.77 and overclocking gets very unstable, as I get crashes, when using the Flight Simulator. In 3D Mark tho no issues, fine results.

switched from Aorus Engine to MSI Afterburner, since the afterburner says if the curve is unstable.

My card doesn’t take more than 370-380Watts anymore..I guess this is the reason for the instability. I wonder what’s the reason.

13. LocoDiceGR

LocoDiceGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3060 Ti
    Some new games next week...new driver incoming? :D

14. nizzen

nizzen Maha Guru

GPU:
    3x2080ti/5700x/1060
    Gigabutt problem I guess. I needed to change thermal paste and thermal pads on 3080 xtreme to get it to no overheat the memory. Worst I ever seen. 3090 strix was way better with stock thermal pads and thermal paste

15. RKKA

RKKA New Member

GPU:
    Aorus RTX3080 EXTR
    I don’t have any thermal issues, on a standard day I usually have approx 65°C with 420-430 watts.

I had a deeper look now I the curves in MSI afterburner, as soon as 380W are hit, power limit bit sets to 1. So it seems there’s power limit indeed at 380W.

But the Aorus BIOS version F3 says power limit lifted to 450W.

16. Lily GFX

Lily GFX Member Guru

GPU:
    AORUS 3090 Xtreme
    All normal here after Resizeable BAR update but I have the AORUS 3090 Xtreme,
    thou I do not overclock it still pulls about 400 to 420 on some games and rendering.
    I do not have Flight Sim so unable to test if it is unstable with a OC above the
    factory one.

Not sure it matter but when updating did you update OC bios with the OC version
    and Silent bios with the Silent version?
    Also what is the switch currently set to, BIOS OC or Silent?
    I guess it is set to OC and you checked that already :)
    [​IMG]

tty8k likes this.
  17. Gomez Addams

Gomez Addams Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090
    Sorry for the late reply. I went to the Nvidia site and got 466.77. It installed correctly and is working fine. As an added bonus, this seemed to correct a problem that has been nagging me for over a year - my old OpenGL programs started working correctly again. I decided I had enough of the nonsense and was going to fix them last weekend only to find out they actually work again. That was a very nice suprise. Thanks!

big ROBOT bill likes this.
  18. Gomez Addams

Gomez Addams Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090
    My previous remarks were premature. As it turns out, 466.77 works well on my laptop with a 2070 but my OpenGL programs are still broken with it on a 3090 in a desktop machine. I tried the programs on my other laptop with a 3080 which still has 465.89 and they work fine on it. I think I will stay with those on that one and I will try reverting the desktop's drivers.

19. LocoDiceGR

LocoDiceGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3060 Ti
  20. tty8k

tty8k Master Guru

GPU:
    Ati 5850
    What exactly happens with OGL programs?

Have you tried running the desktop in full performance mode see if the issue persists?

Last edited: Jun 22, 2021