GeForce 466.63 WHQL driver download & discussion

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by valorex, Jun 3, 2021.

1. SmokingPistol

SmokingPistol Member

GPU:
    RTX 3090
    Well, I can confirm that I'm not having any of these issues but that said, many of my mates aren't so fortunate, sadly as I've had witnessed myself via Zoom and in-person.

It seems like a new driver will be on the horizon in a little while to aid many users concerns very soon.

2. Nastya

Nastya Member Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 2080 Ti
    I've rarely seen issues so plentiful after a new driver set release, one would ask why they haven't pulled it already.

Also don't expect a new driver to fix what's broken now, they probably haven't even isolated the issue yet.

I'm just going to keep rolling with 466.27 which have been stable and without issues for me.

3. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    No there isn't, and the developer of Afterburner would back me up if i was willing to bother him with an @.

4. tty8k

tty8k Master Guru

GPU:
    So you're telling me that if I set all the boost stages to 1935MHz, the card would still go up to 2100MHz?
    It doesn't happen mate, my card never goes to more than 1935 unless I mess up with after burner curve (which for some reason happened when card reached 1950 accidentally)

@FranciscoCL
    That is true except that mine actually drops to 1920MHz if temp is in 40s.
    There are conditions for the card to drop frequency if higher temp is reached, load is low or TGP reached (in adaptive/optimal mode) but it never goes above what I set as max in most games when loaded.

5. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    And yet, it can happen.

6. tty8k

tty8k Master Guru

GPU:
    Let me explain to you how and what happens:

Lets say you set a linear boost freq, all at 1950MHz and then save the profile.
    If you change anything else, again, for example the power limit or memory frequency etc, the curve either adds or substracts 15MHz to the max you set (not sure why).
    If you don't change anything to the profile it stays at what you set, basically based on this, your curve editing should be the last change you do to your profile (set all the others first).

7. tty8k

tty8k Master Guru

GPU:
    Back on what we can fix, if the guys running 8bit are following this thread maybe they can test that MPO reg fix and report if works better on their systems.
    On mine it reduced DPC from 1200ish to 680ish (560 in 10bit) so considerably better.
    (that's only on browser test but still an improvement)

8. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    ok
    but

[​IMG]

9. Lily GFX

Lily GFX Member Guru

GPU:
    AORUS 3090 Xtreme
    Not noticed any issues with drivers recently but not paid attention to latency either. I only game sometimes after work.
    What does the MPO reg fix do and is it helpful for work related applications like rendering and so on? :)

10. tty8k

tty8k Master Guru

GPU:
    That is true as long as you don't exceed thermal limits.
    For example my card stays at 1935 at 50C and the same 1935 at 70C (with my setting and environment in games never actually gets past 65-67C avg 60)
    Temperature throttle by default is set to 85C which most cards won't reach if underclocked/undervolted.

There is another factor that kicks in more often than temperature and that is TDP, hence I set mine to lower frequency and voltage than original max boost (2100/1.250v).
    If used 100% at 1920 or 1935MHz and a max of 0.925v the card won't go over the max TDP and consumption is max 230W.

Hence the card meets the conditions to stay at 1935MHz all the time regardless of load (given the temp is not an issue)

I can start Witcher for example, from a cold boot.
    The card will start at 1935 @ 40C and will maintain that till 60C where temp stabilizes.
    Usage is 100% just the TDP and power consumption goes up from 210 to 225W because of temperature (but never exceeds the limit)

Last edited: Jun 8, 2021

11. tty8k

tty8k Master Guru

GPU:
    I don't think rendering or render viewports are affected, at least not noticeable.
    You can see it in games where you constantly try to maintain a framerate but when spinning a donut from time to time in a 3d editor I doubt it.

It can be beneficial if you have any flickering in viewports or crashes of some sort.
    There is a way to turn it on and off by registry entry provided by nvidia so you can give it a try.

Lily GFX likes this.
  12. Lily GFX

Lily GFX Member Guru

GPU:
    AORUS 3090 Xtreme
    @tty8k
    Not noticed anything flicker or had any crashes while rendering or issues with other applications
    but will try and see if I notice any difference on some games. Thank you for reply :)

tty8k likes this.
  13. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    Reinstalled and testing the entry for OverlayTestMode as well atm.
    So far it seems stable, Is it me or does browsing YouTube run a lot better with it as well?
    Like when changing resolution which seems to be instant, clicking an un-cached position in a video also loads fast now...

@Astyanax
    What exactly is going on with that registry entry? YouTube just went like from being sometimes weird to being on steroids?

Last edited: Jun 8, 2021
  14. SatsuiNoHado

SatsuiNoHado Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA 1080Ti FTW3
    this is one of the curve i ve been using for years but with 0.900/1896.. superb heat/watt reduction for The Old King 1080Ti ;)

15. tty8k

tty8k Master Guru

GPU:
    Oh yes I find it much better than running card default.
    Basically the manufacturer boost (curve) is hardly achievable, if temp is not an issue the TDP is and kicks in immediately reducing the frequency.
    If the game taps the card at 100% in about 5 min running default you end up with like 1800Mhz +/- at higher voltage than needed.

16. Neil79

Neil79 Member Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA 980/2070
  17. Witcher29

Witcher29 Maha Guru

GPU:
    3080 Gaming X Trio
    Some people probably got some system instability with some drivers this driver is butter smooth for me, no crashing or what so ever.

18. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    turning it off prevents a flaw in chromium from presenting itself, i've mentioned it a few times now.

19. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    Must be some time ago, just found it under 466.11, thanks for pointing it out again though.
    Hopefully Maggie Chens commit makes it way to release soon.

20. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti