GeForce 461.51 HOTFIX drivers: download & discussion

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by zandathrax, Feb 5, 2021.

1. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Theres nothing special about the copy method used, its the standard driver install method that is initiated by the INF, and just because you could immediately copy the file doesn't mean it wasn't in use due to a race condition or file handle lock at the time of install.

Code:
    Signature   = "$Windows NT$"
    Provider    = %NVIDIA%
    ClassGUID   = {4D36E968-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
    Class       = Display
    DriverVer   = 02/04/2021, 27.21.14.6151
    CatalogFile = NV_DISP.CAT
    [nv_CplInstaller]
    Default_addreg = nv_CplInstaller_addreg
    Default_copyfiles = nv_CplInstaller_copyfiles

[nv_CplInstaller_copyfiles]
    Nv3DAppShExt.dll
    Nv3DAppShExtR.dll
    NvGpuUtilization.exe
    NvStereoUtilityOGL.exe
    nvDevTools.dll
    nvDevToolsR.dll
    nvLicensingSR.dll
    nvSmartMax.dll
    nvSmartMax64.dll
    nvSmartMaxapp.exe
    nvSmartMaxapp64.exe
    nvcoproc.bin
    nvcpl.cpl
    nvcpl.dll
    nvcplui.exe
    nvcpluir.dll
    nvdisps.dll
    nvdispsr.dll
    nvgames.dll
    nvgamesr.dll
    nvlicensings.dll
    nvmccssr.dll
    nvmobls.dll
    nvmoblsr.dll
    nvshext.dll
    nvsvc64.dll
    nvsvcr.dll
    nvsvs.dll
    nvsvsr.dll
    nvui.dll
    nvuir.dll
    nvvitvs.dll
    nvvitvsr.dll
    nvwss.dll
    nvwssr.dll
    nvxdapix.dll
    nvxdbat.dll
    nvxdcore.dll
    nvxdplcy.dll
    nvxdsyncplugin.dll

look in the same location for a numbered.tmp file of the install date/time.

2. PPC

PPC Member Guru

GPU:
    Why not, it gets better results, not miles better but it is free performance that you get with a slider, effortlessly. Yes it may be 3% but there is no drawback, why not take the 3%?

fear029 likes this.
  3. LocoDiceGR

LocoDiceGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3060 Ti
    Looking good so far..

tfam26 likes this.
  4. Astug

Astug Active Member

GPU:
    2070 SUPER
    Do these fix WoW: Shadowlands flickering? Still an issue.

5. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    no, continue using the old driver or the profile fix.

Astug likes this.
  6. Methos101

Methos101 New Member

GPU:
    RTX 2080
    Is the high idle temperatures with a Gsync display with Turing ever gonna be fixed? I used to be able to have proper low temps while idle with a combination of 144hz(Gsync), 120hz(Normal). 2x144hz would have high idle but that was normal cause it gets harder to run, so 1x144hz 1x120hz did the trick. Now I have to resort to 2x120hz.

7. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1070 GamingX
    I'd like to see Nvidia update their 600 series driver for mobile/laptops for GTX680m 4GB. Last driver was April 11th 2019.

Anyway, testing this set with insider 21301, seems to work fine so far.

8. n\/Cl34r

n\/Cl34r Active Member

GPU:
    Zotac 3080 Tri. OC
    Seems to have fixed the blackscreens outside of games for me. I would usually get 1-2 during a workday, but i havent gotten a single one since installing 461.51
    I was even brave enough to re-enable hardware acceleration in Firefox and also re-enable Gsynq for fullscreen AND windowed.
    Had both of these off because they were making it worse.

9. Gomez Addams

Gomez Addams Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090
    This is a first for me. This driver refuses to install on an MSI laptop with a 2070 in it.

ETA : I got 461.40 and it installed correctly.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2021
  10. linoleum

linoleum Member

GPU:
    Gigabytes RTX3060Ti

11. tfam26

tfam26 Guest

Overclocking core is beyond useless on Ampere as stated countless times in countless threads. I get better performance by undervolting with a ton less juice and heat. I don't data mine either so I personally would have no use for messing with memory clocks. If you're arguing gaming I'm not sure which titles that would benefit realistically from "3%" extra performance on mem with a 3080, "stable" does not necessarily mean running cool and for the long term (or even actually stable in a lot of instances...), especially since the AIB cards are already pushed quit a bit. This thing already destroys pretty much everything you throw at it, outside of high FPS 4k on modern titles. The 3090 exists for that very reason, to bridge the gap where the extra performance would actually make a real world difference, that and "8k30fps" gaming. But hey, feel free to benchmark and experiment that's what its all about for some. :)

12. ravaged

ravaged Member Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 2080 Super
    So my experience with these drivers is a bit odd. I originally installed the 461.40 studio driver a week or two ago, which was fine when all I was doing was working in Premiere, After Effects, etc.

However, I began noticing some massive framerate irregularity in Black Desert Online. Max FPS was about right but anytime other players started loading in my FPS would tank from 120+ to 30-50. In that game, this is basically unplayable. So I tried going back to the 460.89, and nothing changed.

All right, then. I figured I'd try reinstalling the game ready driver, because whatever gains I was getting in my creative suite apps probably wasn't worth not being able to play BDO with my friends. So we do the usual dance: DDU -> install these 461.51 drivers. Now the game was even worse. Wildly variable FPS along with a CTD. I was watching GPU utilization in Afterburner and it looked like a rollercoaster and for no apparent reason.

(brief aside: in BDO, players who engage in PvP wars will set graphics to the lowest settings for better input lag, animation cancelling, movement, etc, so normal GPU utilization is in the 20-30% range. These drivers were dipping down to 1-2% utilization completely randomly.)

In addition, these drivers seem to have introduced a fresh problem: mid-low GPU usage spikes in Cold War zombies, which for whatever reason also prompted my CPU to spike to 99-100% utilization. The results of this was massive stuttering and framerate so sluggish that it ate all mouse movement inputs, until I eventually had to alt-f4 (in one case the game froze my PC).

So yeah, don't know what the deal is here. This prompted a mad amount of fussing over what the crap was failing in my PC, and ultimately hours later I discovered both 442.74 and 457.51 drivers appeared to have things back to normal. I have no interest in pushing my luck further on driver versions since I'd like to use my PC for things other than troubleshooting.

Make of this what you will.

MaBo974 and SatsuiNoHado like this.
  13. PPC

PPC Member Guru

GPU:
    Never said a word about core, i just give it all the power budget i can and let it to its thing.

Memory on the other hand is just free performance. If it impacts my minimum frames by said 3%, im totally ok with that, worth it to move a slider. If it aint "stable" (whatever that means for you) dial it back, simple as that. Doesnt hurt to try tho.

Also, never said specifically 3080, we said Ampere. Ampere is not just 3080.

14. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    You can modify the current driver using TPU's tool.

A couple of notebook infs are missing in this driver, you can do the install via device manager and select the 2070 manually if you want it.

You're not describing a driver problem, you're describing expected behavior of a D3D9 or 11 title that barely uses the cpu's multiple threads in a way that would be considered efficient.

15. Memorian

Memorian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 Ti
    So, The Division 2 DX12 crash is no longer an ''open issue'', is it fixed?

16. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Can you point out the driver where it was an open issue?

Since the issue occurs on RDNA1 and 2 as well, its likely closed off as being application side (as it always was)

17. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1070 GamingX
    Where do I get that from? Never heard of it, thanks.

edit: I think you mean Techpowerup Nvcleanstall.

edit2: I've tried it and it doesn't have a profile to support the laptop GTX680m. I think some posts I've found saying Nvidia removed Kepler support for mobile is correct. I wonder what's so drastically different with the mobile version that Nvidia didn't see it worth supporting.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2021
  18. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6900xt / RTX3090
    Bad drivers , there is a regression on performance in benchmarks and games. it seems the further away you go from initial release drivers 456.38 for the rtx 3090 , the lower the performance gets :( . We need an uplift in performance asap ! this is getting annoying ...

loracle and x58haze like this.
  19. big ROBOT bill

big ROBOT bill Master Guru

GPU:
    ROG Strix 3060Ti
    More, we need more!

chispy likes this.
  20. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6900xt / RTX3090
    :D