GeForce 456.71 WHQL drivers: download & discussion

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Oct 7, 2020.

1. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti

Video decoding is a purely DMA process, gaming is a mixed bag with lots of cpu processing

When a data fault turns up within a DMA process, you have to determine the layer on which it occurs, whether it can be corrected or not or requires resubmission - most importantly, you have to have the CPU/GPU pre-empting every single packet for the potentiality of a consistency failure.

When decoding a video, the cpu is removed from the equation for the video data. Much like the behavior of TV, a sudden error or disruption of the signal stops the process, the card waits for good data to continue and aborts with a device hang and reset - resubmission is not possible with the decoded stream, the graphics card and its decoder expects a constant flow of data.

On the other hand, Gaming is creating new visual information all the time, a failure to get data across the bus will just look a bit like higher frametimes and may even appear in a framerate counter as dips eery so often in comparison to a perfectly working machine.

Tbh, theres no proof it is the cpu, it could be the gpu or even mainboard. the easiest way to rule out a component is to swap it with or into another part to see if the issue follows.

2. 007licensed

007licensed Member

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 3080 TUF
    but there are some people running 20X0 cards with no problem until new 456.38 /.55 /.71 was released.
    reporting same issues like reported before.
    switching back to older driver solved their problem...
    since 30X0 card users CAN NOT switch back to older drivers... i hope to see a driverfix for that issue

evgenim and bigcid1 like this.
  3. garyb

garyb Member Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 RTX 3070
    I first noticed this problem just scrolling through facebook but i did notice that a video on facebook would come up with a play error, now is it possible for this error to have come from that?

Just by reading you comment sounds similar !!!

But i also didn't have this problem on previous drivers.

4. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    There are people reporting issues all the time that nobody else gets and is likely unique to the nightmare that is their systems software configuration.

also, just so things are clear, all those users are on 20 series notebooks

5. 007licensed

007licensed Member

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 3080 TUF
    seams there are not only notebook users running into that problem...
    there are couple of thread all around other forums having similiar problems since 456.XX release.
    so there must be something going wrong since that... esspacily with that
    "Event ID: 4101
    System: Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered."

i just fly over last pages of that 456.71 thread

btw. is there a way to modify inf so i can test pre 456.XX driver like 452.06

6. garyb

garyb Member Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 RTX 3070
    This was reported in the Nvidia forms as well. Turing off hardware acceleration fixes the issue(at least for me), wasn't there a problem a few years back with this same error and Nvidia drivers!!! Since ManuelG hasnt answered i can only guess this isn't being looked into as not everyone is getting it.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2020
    Cave Waverider likes this.
  7. 007licensed

007licensed Member

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 3080 TUF
    i think a big problem is... thanks to 30X0 cards PAPERLAUNCH... only very few people own these cards right now,
    so only very few people can report these issues... so nvidia won't notice that problem until cards get available for all

8. X7007

X7007 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D 1080GTX
    HAGS not reducing FPS anymore?

9. Dro1d01

Dro1d01 Member

GPU:
    GP107
    it gives slightly more fps despite API, better responsiveness and smoother gameplay
    {Console like experience on PC}

10. AntiSnipe

AntiSnipe Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660 Super
    Nope. Running 1809.

11. Plug2k

Plug2k Maha Guru

GPU:
    2x Gigabyte Fe 1080TI +WB
    Anyone having issues with call of duty cold war multiplayer beta......

i keep getting fatal error issue every time i play within 2-3 minutes of game play its almost consistantly 2-3 minutes in lol
    its pissing me off. :/

12. venturi

venturi Master Guru

GPU:
    dual 3090 FE SLI
    Overall impression is that the 456.38 is faster and more stable than the 456.71. Granted I'm running dual 3090, but the experience is near perfect on the 456.38.
    Performance seem a tad lower on the 456.71 in ray traced games and a few others.

Serious Sam 4 is stable in 456.38, but has some hitching on 456.71. I reverted to the 456.38 for now.
    Control seems fine in both , but a few less frames per second on 456.71

I am also running MS Data Center 2020, but I can also boot into MS Data Center 2019 and get same behavior.
    Hopefully the next driver release will be with some improvements.

13. Cave Waverider

Cave Waverider Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090 ROG Strix
    I'm having the same problem when simply browsing the web on my 2080 Ti and Chromium-based browsers like the latest version of Google Chrome and the new Microsoft Edge when Hardware Acceleration is enabled with these 456.71 WHQL drivers on Windows 10 2004 with the latest updates. In addition, full screen youtube videos in these browsers hang/stutter with browser Hardware acceleration enabled on these drivers.

Going back to drivers without 3xxx support appears to fix both these issue for me.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2020
  14. Blackfyre

Blackfyre Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super
    Anyone having issues with YouTube, slowdowns in Chromium based browsers, I was having those on Windows Insider for a while, here's the fix, I posted about it before:

https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/n...ad-and-discussion.434248/page-13#post-5832969

15. Martin2603PL

Martin2603PL Member

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    "Anyone having issues with call of duty cold war multiplayer beta......

i keep getting fatal error issue every time i play within 2-3 minutes of game play its almost consistantly 2-3 minutes in lol
    its pissing me off. :/"

Treyarach said: Clean install is needed.

16. very probably the new driver will be released today for the dlc of Doom Eternal and Watch Dogs Legion. end of the story

17. Mistajista

Mistajista Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080
    Performance is still noticeably worse (regarding frame pacing and stuttering) in Control Ultimate Edition with HAGS on (GTX 1080). Disabling HAGS solves the issues. The other games I'm playing all seem to run well though (with HAGS enabled).

18. You don't need this driver release for play . Are optimized for RTX3000 series cards

19. Cave Waverider

Cave Waverider Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090 ROG Strix
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2020
  20. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti