GeForce 418.91 WHQL driver download

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Feb 13, 2019.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. Sixtyfps

Sixtyfps Master Guru

GPU:
    Tuff 4080 non OC
    Back in the day i remembered when Nvidia cared about performance of there cards. They used to have better performance every update for top games. It seems now they gimp old cards and sell you a bed of lies. They give you a "game ready driver " and call it a day. AMD on the other hand seems to be getting better all the time look at vega 64 and 56. AMD FTW

3. Keesberenburg

Keesberenburg Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 TI sc
    My GTX 1080 Ti perfrorm the same or better in much games with build in benchmark after a few years.

ScoobyDooby and typhon6657 like this.
  4. Passus

Passus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4070 Gaming X
    Think your a bit mistaken buddy,, AMD still support all the way back to HD 7xxx series and nvidia back to the 6xx gtx series

Both same amount of time

Deleted member 213629 likes this.

5. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Guest

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    Came to say the same.. I just updated from 417.71 to 418.81 and saw a huge performance improvement with my 1080ti.. higher framerate and smoother in game performance in all of the games I'm playing.

Honestly not sure what he's on about

6. HARDRESET

HARDRESET Master Guru

GPU:
    4090 ZOTAEA /1080Ti
    No two systems are the same , 418.81 did perform less for my system , 417.71 was back to normal for my system.

Will try the 418.91.

7. NiColaoS

NiColaoS Master Guru

GPU:
    3060 12GB
    A bit of a hassle if you want a totally clean installation without unneeded bollocks. Driver Uninstaller at first, NVSlimmer secondly, Nvidia Inspector to easily disable other things you don't need, like, ANSEL and personally since I download the DCH drivers, need to install the control panel within MS Store. Don't ask why I use the DCH drivers, I do the same for my ALC1220 Audio codec. Also personally create with CRU utility 75HZ 1080p resolution which helps a lot. Since I connect my monitor via HDMI, now the driver perceives the PC resolution as native and not HDTV. Previously every time I had to install new driver needed one more change, the colours from limited to full.

8. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    Weird, I've gotten zero improvement. The drivers using a 1080 Ti have always been + or - 1 to 2% performance for me, typically close to zero. On a GTX 970 however, I did lose large amounts of performance on some drivers, and I mean large; 10-15%+.

What games did you see a performance improvement in?

9. Erick

Erick Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 Ti 12 GB
    They probably made more updates to the memory clocks to support the DisplayPort standards. I needed firmware for the 1060 3GB and memory clocks went from 7 to 8 Gbps. They have been grinding since the FreeSync 417.71; I'll assume they learned something new about FreeSync. I'll update to this driver now.

10. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Guest

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    The two games in question were Division 2 Beta and Shadow of the Tomb Raider.

In D2 I gained a good 6-10 fps and this allowed me up the settings a bit, and in Tomb Raider I gained less, 3-5 on average, but in some areas now hitting over 90fps (ultrawide) which I never saw it hit prior.

Along with the gains though were the overall performance improvement toward perceived smoothness. I found both games played much better, less blurry when quickly panning the camera, and just overall a much better experience. It was quite obvious to me right away honestly.
    I had performed a dirty install right overtop of 417.71 and so far so good.

Neo Cyrus likes this.

11. Passus

Passus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4070 Gaming X
    Lost .. eh??? ... both same amount of time .... one word ... fanboy

Have a nice day

12. haxzion

haxzion Member

GPU:
    They finally fixed Event ID 14 error appearing in event viewer logs when Digital Vibrance setting was changed with an RTX gpu

13. Catcher40

Catcher40 Member

GPU:
    RTX 2070
    Well since installing these drivers google chrome keeps freezing when trying to watch youtube videos, it only happens when i first start the video but sometime it stays frozen for over 20 seconds before carrying on, this happened on the last but 1 build of the drivers as well. the previous drivers worked fine.

14. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Im happy with 418.81, guess I won't bother with this mess.

15. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Stop spreading lies, there have been multiple review companies that have tested exactly what you're "suggesting" here and it quite literally is lies. You either are blatantly lying, or very mislead. Both companies have had drivers that have increased performance, and decreased performance. Overall, AMD is actually LOWER in performance increases then nvidia on an average, but it's so minute, it doesn't matter, they are effectively equal.

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-nvidia-driver-updates-performance-tested,5707.html

The only reference i can find where this even is remotely true was a WINDOWS XP driver review that didn't also test AMD. But reality is the older your card is the more it gets forgotten and the more new updates that help performance of newer cards inadvertently lowers the performance older cards. This is to be expected, you can't support all cards for eternity over many architecture changes and etc.

Personally, i feel like every new architecture should have a brand new specific to it driver that does not mingle with other drivers, and for nvidia and AMD to update drivers based only on the architecture they are, without any "contamination" from other architectures. This would likely have the best performance for all cards, but considering that'd likely be MORE expensive and quite frankly more confusing for the consumers, i doubt that'll ever happen.

16. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    AMD does not support the HD 7xxx series in their latest graphics card, not fully anyways. They support the HD 7700-7900 series, anything below that, you're stuck on 15.7.1 (latest drivers being 19.2.2) or lower, or 16.2.1 beta, apparently they had support in the beta, but not full release of 16? Which is honestly just weird.

Same thing goes with the HD 8xxx series which only supports 8500-8900, anything lower then that is 14.4 or lower (even older drivers)

Then its on to the 200 series, which they CLAIM they support the "whole" R5 200 series, not just a range like above, yet i'm looking at the R5 220 right now and it's 15.7.1 with a beta driver for 16.2.1, same as the below the 7700 numbers above. Now i'm "assuming" that's because it's a terascale 2 architecture, but AMD is honestly misleading in the fact that they state 19.2.2 supports the whole R5 200 series....but it doesn't.

After that, i BELIEVE (i have not looked at all products) that AMD fully supports their latest drivers on every product. So what that means is, per your statement:

AMD very barely supports the HD 7xxx series, about halfway supports the HD 8xxx series, and mostly supports the 200 series, and fully supports everthing after that, currently.

So that's full support from 2015-2019, and partial support from 2012 to 2014 for AMD

Nvidia, on the other hand, fully supports all products from the 600 series and up in the latest driver

So that's full support from 2012-2019 for nvidia

Along with technical driver information posted above, the other issues lies in OS support. I've only done a little research into this so i could be wrong but i believe AMD has completely stopped supporting windows 8/8.1 in their latest drivers, so their latest drivers from a windows standpoint only support 7 and 10. This is not the same with nvidia drivers, which still supports windows 7, 8, 8.1, and 10. Now, you could say that "technically" nvidia has dropped 8/8.1 driver support for the RTX 2000 series, but realistically, even though there is no drop down for windows 8 on their website, the RTX 2000 series is fully supported (aside from the obvious RTX specific features since that's only supported on 10) on windows 8, just grab the driver and it'll install just fine as it has the ini information for windows 8 and RTX 2000 series. Why they left it out of the drop down yet left windows 7 there, i have no idea, other then likely a sign of things to come, which'll likely be a drop of support for 8/8.1

typhon6657 likes this.
  17. Andrew LB

Andrew LB Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080@2,025
    AMD must love all the unpaid shills who continue to spread this nonsense for free. Instead of free games they should include free knee pads with every card.

BLKBRDSR71 and Nima V like this.
  18. Yxskaft

Yxskaft Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX Titan Sli
    Nope, there are low-end 600 and 700 cards that are Fermi, which is now completely out of support. For laptops, Fermi was even part of the 900M series.

19. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Laptops are a different story, and would be even worse on amds side. There are laptop APUs that are simply never listed for driver updates via AMD

But you are correct i kept thinking 710 was 610 which was confusing me

Last edited: Feb 18, 2019
  20. kilyan

kilyan Master Guru

GPU:
    evga 1080 sc gaming
    In anthem latest vulkan drivers are still better. The frame drops are less consistent than this new set