Geforce 400 Drivers Speculation

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by angelgraves13, Aug 7, 2017.

1. angelgraves13

angelgraves13 Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 1080 Ti FTW3 Hybrid
    Nvidia is probably saving some new features for the 400 drivers.

* Will probably launch with Volta
    * Probably some more deeper power savings
    * Expect a new feature or two
    * Don't expect a new Control Panel UI (Nvidia's lazy)

2. Terepin

Terepin Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080
    That's an understatement.

3. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1070 Gaming X
    I don't want a new UI.

4. Terepin

Terepin Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080
    How is that Windows XP working for ya?

5. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080Ti
    Meh - I like the simplicity of the control panel, but it really blows on high DPI displays. It's also laggy and slow as crap. And as much as I don't use touchscreens, having to use it on a surface with dGPU is near impossible because the UI elements are too small (obviously this is in combination with the DPI issue).

I personally would like to see it overhauled or at least have an Experience version of it and just maintain both or something.

6. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    I do. It's long overdue IMO. The current interface can be sluggish even on an SSD. They already have GeForce Experience, which has a reasonably nice interface and runs faster, so I always expected that the control panel would be redesigned to match that and have one option to access both instead of the current two.

Also, the profile editing is basic for example with no option to rename profiles (to correct the many errors that have accumulated over the years or assign a proper name to an added executable) nor is there any option to backup them up/restore them. Yes, you can use NVIDIA Inspector or their own SLI Profile Manager Tool (to export/import as text files), which I do, but it's about time the functionality was actually built into the control panel itself rather than having to rely on third-party tools.

7. RealNC

RealNC Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 Ti FTW
    The UI is fine. The issue is that it's become slow as hell :p

8. Stormyandcold

GPU:
    MSI GTX1070 Gaming X
    Well, you guys must use it more than me. I will install the driver, set the Nvidia settings and 99%+ of the time I won't look at it again until the next driver.

9. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 AERO OC
    Ye they UI works fine, it's just slow as ****.

Would also like a feature to Export Profiles from the UI.

10. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 GRP
    Fully expect 400 series to release as just another driver of a new branch in a couple of months. There will be no significant changes.

11. Yxskaft

Yxskaft Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX Titan Sli
    The obvious change would be support for Volta and perhaps some kind of new driver feature for Volta.

I just want Nvidia to speed up the control panel. Otherwise I think it's good enough and simple.

12. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 660gtx sig2
    i dont want new CP UI, accord to rumors they want to put the CP UI in GFE and i wont isntall GFE. NVCP might be slow, which kind of under statement, but i rarely goin in it, I use Nvidia inspector way more

Dont really care about power savings either, want gpu run full 3d clock in games, and it to drop to idle speed when doing nothing, deeper power savinges on desktop is moot, only laptops will benfit from deeper power savinges

13. ESlik

ESlik Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA x2 1080 Ti SC Black
    Probably likes it better than Win. 10.

14. thatguy91

thatguy91 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 480 RS 4 GB
    The UI is something AMD took a while to work on as well. Even though the new control panel has been around since the end of 2015? from memory, it was only with 17.7.2 that all functionality of the old UI has been converted to the new one. Previously main functions where under the new UI, which is loads practically instantly and is fast, and to access the other features such as display bit depth, colour mode (YCbCr, RGB options etc) you had to access the old UI from the new UI. This took a while to load.

So, no doubt Nvidia have looked into something similar themselves in terms of a new fast UI, but it's probably not high on their todo list. They probably consider that many users will never access it, and those that do once they change settings will likely leave it, so although being essential in a way, all else apart from functionality (that is, aesthetics, performance etc) becomes purely a nicety.

15. kx11

kx11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Titan Xp
    i just want a faster control panel

spending 3 minutes to apply 5 changes is stupid

16. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 GRP
    If you spend three minutes to apply anything in NVCPL on an i7 6900K then there's something seriously wrong with your OS in general.

17. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 660gtx sig2
    use nvidia inspector like most off use do

And like the above said if it take 3 seconds to apply something is wrong in your os, apply setting take no longer then 1 second on my system

Last edited: Aug 8, 2017
  18. Stormyandcold

GPU:
    MSI GTX1070 Gaming X
    Well, I just did 6 changes in under 30 seconds...

19. AntiSnipe

AntiSnipe Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1060 3G
    I don't want a new control panel either....I want the OLD one! Seriously.

I wish they would just give up the UI and go back the one from say, Forceware 23.11. that was perfect and fast. Seriously. I've hated the "new" control panel all this time.

I mean it could be prettied up a bit (Windows itself would probably do that) but other than that, the functionality was great.

[​IMG]

20. kx11

kx11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Titan Xp
    everything is 100% , it's been like that for years

even GFE is faster than NVCP

i just did a video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4znFLqmmBHg

Singleton99 likes this.