1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

geforce 4 mx420 flashing problem

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by snffff, Mar 14, 2004.

1. snffff

snffff New Member

GPU:
    geforce mx 420
    I have a geforce 4 mx 420 and I just successfully flashed it with an mx440 bios (I bet you were all hoping I'd say fx5950u weren't you?)

Nvflash didn't like it, I had to turn on the -5 and -6 commands to get it to flash, and then it went fine, except my video card doesn't output video to my monitor.

Worse yet, my computer seems to be completely failing to boot:
    boot disks never load, and without a boot disk it never seems to get to windows. I can hear the cd rom drives spinning up, but I don't know for sure whether they are actually loading anything because I can't see.

There aren't any beeps or anything coming out of the thing or anything like that which would indicate an error, just nothing.

If I have to get a new card I guess that's no real problem except that I won't have the cash to get a decent one for a few weeks yet, leaving me with a pentiumII to play with while I wait (the pentium II has an agp card which oddly doesn't fit in my new comp, so no I don't have a PCI card to put in)

any ideas?

2. CABOOSE

CABOOSE Guest

MX420 = SD Ram
    MX440 = DDR Ram
    No Flashy

3. khohne

khohne Master Guru

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 480 Asus
    How could you do such a thing it may be a geforce 4 MX for but it doesnt deserve to go like that. (Never flash one card to another)

4. snffff

snffff New Member

GPU:
    geforce mx 420
    Well, I'd pretty much guessed that the flashing didn't work at this point. It might be noted that people throughout the forums have sort of shrugged about whether or not mx's can flash between each other, that's the first I've seen about the ddr thing.

Really this is me passive aggressively trying to convince myself to upgrade, but I'd like to use my computer sometime between now and when the upgrade can happen.

Any ideas as to how I might restore it, or at least make my computer usable without having to shell out cash for a new vid card?

5. jimmor

jimmor Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA8800GTS 512Mb
    you can try the same as anyone else who has wrongly flashed their card only to find they wished they hadn't!!!

flash it back to it's original state.

you need of course a copy of your original bios???

you will also need a PCI card, doesn't matter what, but preferably not a Nvidia type. and a win98/me/DOS boot disk.

switch off
    remove AGP card
    Fit PCI card
    boot up
    In your mobo bios change video type to PCI
    switch off
    fit AGP card
    boot to Win98 or DOS disk.
    flash old original bios back
    switch off
    remove PCI card
    change mobo bios video back to AGP
    reboot

everything back as it was?????

6. jimmor

jimmor Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA8800GTS 512Mb
    also snffff I have never seen anything posted in this forum that mx's can flash between each other.

we will in this case have to put you down as a pioneer of the subject.

next time do your homework first!!!