GeForce 4/FX -> Quadro 4/FX : The complete how-to

Discussion in 'RivaTuner Advanced Discussion forum' started by clokkevi, Jul 3, 2004.

1. prisoner881

prisoner881 Active Member

Re: Re: query

2. warrenf

warrenf Member

GPU:
    TI 4200 8x agp

NICE ONE MAN!

3. warrenf

warrenf Member

GPU:
    TI 4200 8x agp
    first of all thanks for your qiuick response, i managed to work everything out with the 41.09 driver instead of the 45.21. yes my card is a 4200 overclokced to 290/490.. but i think that i will have some problems with the old driver... what do you think ? maxtreme worked well with it in max cos i am orbiting quite large files now. im using Xp with SP1 & MB asus v700..

thanks

warren

now i have got an Fx 5200 to do the same... does the 45.21 work with it ?

thanks again for the help(prisoner), i was really impressed with the effieciency of the forums!! well done!! im not that good in these things but still i like to mod wher i can..

Last edited: May 25, 2005
  4. AlecRyben

AlecRyben Guest

GPU:
    5x580 2x590 2x780Ti 1x970
    What's this talk about 45.21 driver?
    You need 42.51 in order to mod a GeForce4 into a Quadro4.

5. warrenf

warrenf Member

GPU:
    TI 4200 8x agp
    ur right! it woked brilliantly as quadro!

thanks for your time..

6. huitep

huitep Guest

k I NEEEEEED HELP

i modded my FX 5200 to a Quadro FX 500, and i followed everything right in the first posting, (great instructions btw). Im 90 % sure i did it right, BUTTTTTTTTT, when i load up CS source, the game flickers constantly and i cant play, so is there anything to fix it, or should i just go back to my FX 5200??

also, can u download new drivers for the Quadro FX 500, or do the drivers have to be kept the same

anyhelp is GREATLY appreciated

7. AlecRyben

AlecRyben Guest

GPU:
    If gaming is important to you, forget about Quadro altogether. (or make a dual boot config - one for games, one for work)

8. prisoner881

prisoner881 Active Member

Huitep,

This is a common mistake made by those who don't understand the difference between a "gaming" card and a "professional" card. Don't sweat it, I'll explain what's going on.

A professional card will be slower at running games than a gaming card because the professional card uses the nVidia chip differently. Likewise, a gaming card will not be as fast as a professional card in 3D Max or Maya because the professional card is geared towards working in these applications.

Please, do not make the mistake of thinking a Quadro will run a game faster than a GeForce card. It will not. It will run slower in games. In fact, many games won't run right at all on a Quadro. Just as an example, Half-Life 2 has a known bug in it that makes the water disappear. Other games do stranger things. Some just crash. You really shouldn't run games on a Quadro. That's not what it's for.

For the record, the only reason to have a Quadro is if you're running a professional 3D CAD or multimedia program, not a game.

If you wish to get more performance out of your 5200, you should overclock it. I'm not sure if 5200's can have masked pipelines, but if they can you might want to unmask them for more performance. But converting your card to a Quadro will do nothing but make everything run slower.

Hope this helps.

9. loden

loden New Member

Hi all!
    I tried to follow of the instruction in the first page of the thread but I've got some problems:
    1) I uninstall my old 5700 driver, reboot and install the quadro driver, reboot; after that If i search in the Installed application I cannot find any nvidia driver installed, so seems that the driver won't install; plus when I go to change the nvstrap the tab isn't there since the driver isn't installed :(
    2) If I'll update the driver with "I have a disk", select the file in the patched driver directory, press ok...nothing happen, they drive me back in the video cards section where I have to select something......
    My os is win xp pro, the card is a chaintech fx 5700 128mb.
    Anyone could help me?
    Thanks a lot!

10. nvid55

nvid55 Guest

I don't know if I did it right or not...
    Used the 42.15 drivers, I have a geforce4ti 4600

On the "low level tweak screen".. I was not able to select the checkbox after I selected quatro..
    so I rebooted and then went to update drivers...only saw one selection there and that was the Quadro4 900 XGL
    and now the device manager reads Quadro4 900 XGL
    however the NVIDIA desktop manager tab still reads GeForce TI..
    I don't see the Open gl settings

And lastly.. Maya still is not working!!!!
    I've updated to the latest Quadro drivers and the system took it..

thanks for any help on what went wrong.

11. luzck

luzck New Member

Exist some way to convert ATI FIREGL T2 with 128 DDR in something more better using Rivaturner ? thank you

12. m_rodriguez

m_rodriguez Member

GPU:
    GF4 Ti 4200 128 Mb AGP 4x
    Hello. I did all the steps but I can't activate the checkbox when I choose "Quadro" from the low level panel . How can i solve this? Is there any way to do that without RivaTuner? Thanks!

13. brewz

brewz Member

sucessful Geforce FX 5200 to Quadro FX 500

Amazing this really works and is almost as good as my Quadro FX 1100 and much much much cheaper... My Geforce FX 5200 64Meg is now a Quadro FX 500...works great for 3ds max. I've tested this with high poly counts and screen redraw is excellent.

The card is no good for games but the Rivatuner softmod is absolutely incredible and a simple procedure. I wish I'd known about this before...any one in need of a Quadro FX 1100 check my listing on Ebay ; )

THANKS FOR RIVATUNER

14. wizdigital

wizdigital New Member

GPU:
    geforce 5600
    I have a Geforce 5600 and an Athlon XP 2600+. I don't have any test results to post because the benchmark is taking forever to download. But I did succesfully (at least I think so...) patch to a Quadro. In control panel my GPU shows up as Quadro 500, but on the display properties/advanced tab it reads NV31M. Isn't it supposed to read NV31GL or something? Maybe this is why I can't enable certain resolutions (i.e. 1280x960) on my secong display? Installed Maxtreme ok. Apears to be ruunning very well so far, I can display very high number of polygons and rotate my viewport without slowing down like it did before softmodding it. Does this mean that it thinks I have a mobile Quadro 500?

15. brewz

brewz Member

Yes is the answer to your question...if you can run Maxextreme and if 3ds Max runs well then you have successfully softmodded!

It's not possible to install Maxextreme unless the operating systems believes you have a Quadro installed... so congratulations you now have most of the functionality of a professional 3d card : )

I was extremely suprised when softmodding worked with my humble 64Meg V9520 Magic geforce 5200...astounded in fact. If I'd known before I would'nt have purchased a Quadro FX 1100 which cost $380 a year or so ago.

I got the FX1100 solely to use with 3ds max and have since noticed that it is the ability to enable Maxextreme that provides the biggest performance increase and my softmodded geforce 5200 - quadro 500 FX experiment proved to get very close to performing the same kind of viewport poly crunching in shaded mode and even seemed to outperform the "real" FX1100 in wireframe mode...outstanding!

Enjoy : )

PS: I have recently purchased a Geforce 6800 AGP and intend to try softmodding it to a Quadro FX 4000!... will post the results here but fingers crossed.

PPS: Anyone know which Geforce will softmod to a Quadro FX 3000?

16. AlecRyben

AlecRyben Guest

GPU:
    GeForce FX 5900/5950 is the gaming equivalent of the Quadro FX 3000.
    But you will be far better off by getting a puny 6800LE and modding it to Quadro using Rivatuner. It will definitely be faster than the Quadro FX 3000.

17. shadowalk

shadowalk Active Member

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 5770 Vapor-X
    Which 42.xx driver can I use for a FX5500?

18. brewz

brewz Member

Successful Softquad - Leadtek 6800 to Quadro FX4000

Further to my earlier Softquadro experiments I just got a Leadtek A400 TDH 6800 gaming card and successfully tuned it to a Quadro FX4000!

I patched the lastest Nvidia drivers and SoftQuadded with RivaTuner and all is working well. Excellent performance in both games and 3D apps...versatile and 3d useful, works with 3ds Max and Maxextreme 7.0.

5 reboots were required to get things working...heres how:

1: boot your computer

2:remove old video drivers and reboot

3:Install lastest video drivers (77.30) and reboot

4:install RivaTuner and install NVstrap, enable "Quadro" option and "unlock professional capabilities" then reboot

5:remove lastest video drivers reboot

6: Install patched video drivers reboot***see comments below

7: You now have a Quadro FX4000

***To patch the 77.30 drivers go to the RivaTuner Folder/PatchScripts/Nvidia and use the "nv4_mini.sys antiprotection.rts" in the ForceWareAntiprotection directory and the "SoftQuadro4 w2k.rts" in the SoftQuadro4 directory to patch the official 77.30 Nvidia"nv4_mini.sys". A warning will pop up saying that the patch isn't certified just ignore this and it will successfully patch.

I still have to test my new card in Maya but at the moment I appear to have a $1000 workstation card that cost me $150...the word is overused but "awesome" is the only way to describe what RivaTuner can do : )

PS: you may be able to reduce the reboots to 3 by ignoring stages 2 & 3 but the procedure above worked for me

19. AlecRyben

AlecRyben Guest

GPU:
    Why patch the drivers?
    Haven't you read the FAQing Rivatuner readme or the sticky HowTo threads? :rolleyes:
    NEWS FLASH: You shouldn't patch anything - just install NVStrap, set it and reboot! :p

20. brewz

brewz Member

I tried that first...it didn't work. When I patched the drivers it worked.

Maybe I did something wrong the first time...but the simple fact is that after patching as described above I now have a fully functional Quadro FX4000 from a bog standard 6800.