GeForce 3D Vision Kit + SAMSUNG 2233RZ 22"

Discussion in '3D Stereo and VR Gaming Section' started by puro, May 17, 2009.

1. puro

puro Member

GPU:
    Palit GeForce GTX 285 2GB
    Hello one and all, this area of the forums seems quite empty and I am very intrigued.

I have been looking at Nvidias GeForce 3D Vision Kit and from what it sounds, seems very impressive. Later this year I may invest in these glasses combined with the SAMSUNG 2233RZ 22"

Has anybody had any experience with this piece of kit? Is it more of a novelty piece of kit? I would like to hear your thoughts.

My cards seems to be compatible as I have a Palit 285 2GB.

Cheers,
    Dan.

Last edited: May 17, 2009
  2. ElementalDragon

ElementalDragon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    eVGA RTX 2070
    eeeh.... i think it's more of a novelty. Would be fun to try, but not at the massive expense that it is.

3. Cybermancer

Cybermancer Don Quixote

GPU:
    BFG GTX260OC (192 SP)
    I love this kind of stuff and if I would have the necessary funds, I'd give it a try for sure.

4. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition

5. Chris-NYC

Chris-NYC Member

GPU:
    2xSLI EVGA GTX 770 SC
    I have it, and it's not a "novelty" at all. It totally works as advertised.

Granted, it works better with some games than with others and there are certain imperfections & peculiarities you have to either tweak to correct or live with, but overall it does exactly what it says it does -- it turns [almost] any game [or other 3d graphics rendered application] into actual steroscopic 3d. :)

The glasses are comfortable and can be worn over prescription glasses or contact lenses; the lenses do not alter or obscure on-screen colors in any material way; the monitor is a good monitor with or without 3d Vision (although it is not advisable to purchase the 2233RZ without intending to use it with 3d Vision, as it has no practical benefit over much less expensive monitors EXCEPT the ability to work with 3d Vision).

And finally, 3d Vision runs quite well on a single 285 (although it works incredibly well on two). I wouldn't recommend trying to run it with anything less than a gtx260 as it does put quite a strain on your gpu (basically rendering everything twice).

There's lots more info about it on the nvidia forum.

6. Glidefan

Glidefan Don Booze Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | 8600M GS
    Well it should work fine. I mean they are not the first ones to release something like that,
    before their own version other companies were releasing their own products and cheaper as well that workd great.

7. Locoyote

Locoyote Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX1060 6GB
    It's something you need to try before you buy.

8. hirmak

hirmak Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX285
    Does it make Headache and can we use it for longer time like 2-3 hours:3eyes:

9. Chris-NYC

Chris-NYC Member

GPU:
    2xSLI EVGA GTX 770 SC
    No, no headache once you're used to it and you adjust the settings properly. I can use it quite comfortably for hours at a time now that my eyes are used to it.

10. PixelPerfect

PixelPerfect Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 285
    This is a must, when you have experianced nVidias 3D Vision theres no turning back, you just listening to Chris as I second all what he said :D

BTW, hey Chris nice to see you are here to ;)

To the OP take a look at Rage3D they have a very good 3d vision thread over there and it's so long it will probably take you a weekend to get thru :D

3D Vision FTW, it's the best thing happen gaming ever!

Last edited: Jun 7, 2009

11. ortucis

ortucis Active Member

GPU:
    AORUS 1060 Extreme
    It's too bad that I can't use it with my CRT monitor (85Hz on 1280x1024) or probably my display card even, else I would've given this a try as well.

12. skarekr0

skarekr0 New Member

GPU:
    XFX GTX 285 Black 1GB
    I third Chris' notion and as he said it works better with some games better than others. The only thing I dont necessarily like about it is that the on-screen text is often difficult to read, other than that it's a completely immersive experience.

13. Glidefan

Glidefan Don Booze Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | 8600M GS
    From what i've gathered from using older eD goggles is that it really depends on how the maker will make the game.
    The text thing is now the game engine handles it. Is it a texture on top of a strip for exampe? how far from the camera is the text placed ?
    So i guess its more of the developers being educated in those things and saying that perhaps someone will play their game with stereo enabled.

14. brandenburg

brandenburg Member

GPU:
    XFX 260 Black Edition
    This kit is a vast improvement on the old Asus stereo and the much loved but long dead Elsa stereo cards.
    Nvidia claim and many reviewers agree that it is simple to install and run. Yes, it is so long as your system is up to the standard required. The glasses are like sun glasses and the 'lenses' are big, far bigger than the old 3D glass of Asus or Elsa. There is no flicker or ghosting and no eye strain that I recall with the old systems.
    BUT and it is a big BUT.
    My experience is that the only drivers that work are the ones in the box - old 182 series. Try to update to any of the latest drivers and everything crashes around your ears. The 3D USB driver never installs, try to install it separately and it appears to go in, but still no 3D when you go to set up in the control panel. Windows claims it cannot find the driver and that is about it. You are stuck up the creek without a paddle.
    This is a real shame that Nvidia don't warn you and offer totally no advice on their FAQs.

So, go ahead and buy it and stick with the V1.07 drivers that come with the kit. DO NOT be tempted to update them.
    The fact that Nvidia offer no advice means they probably aren't even aware of the problem so if and when it will be fixed is probably unlikely.

15. Chris-NYC

Chris-NYC Member

GPU:
    2xSLI EVGA GTX 770 SC
    You can indeed update the drivers and it works great, you just have to use the package specifically released for 3d Vision. GeForce 185.85 = 3dV v1.08. The new GeForce 186.18 will be known as 3dV v1.09 and is on the way in the next couple of days.

You can download the 3d Vision driver package updates at http://www.nvidia.com/object/GeForce_3D_Drivers_Downloads.html

You just can't use the gen pop GeForce driver package as it doesn't have support for the IR transmitter, but nvidia releases 3d Vision driver updates in tandem with GeForce driver updates.

Hope this helps :)

Last edited: Jun 19, 2009

16. brandenburg

brandenburg Member

GPU:
    XFX 260 Black Edition
    yes, did that but it doens't solve the problem

I have tried both 185.85 and the latest 186.18 and really they are no help. The 3D drivers are incorporated in the series. I have frequently installed them and found there is no 3D USB driver actually operating as demonstrated when you run the 3D set up: the emitter just sits there and blicks red at you for ages.
    Each time I have returned to the 1.07 hey presto the USB driver is installed and I have one happy bright green emitter working.
    This may be something to do with the fact that I have 3-way SLI. Nvidia say but don't warn you on the box at all, that the current drivers don't support 3-way SLI. But logic would dictate that therefore the 1.07 wouldn't work either, yet it does.
    I am thinking of disabling one graphic card and giving that a try and see if it fools the driver into thinking there are only two cards installed.
    However there are two very serious issues here. First Nvidia constantly rush out software that is not fully developed, as we saw with Vista.
    And it is almost legally negligent of them not to print a warning on the box that 3-way is not currently supported.

17. brandenburg

brandenburg Member

GPU:
    XFX 260 Black Edition
    I stand corrected, and must thank you for your advice. Where I thought I was using the 185.85 driver it was as you point out the standard 185 driver. Your advice meant I then found the dedicated 3D driver!

18. avivoni

avivoni Ancient Guru

GPU:
    560ti 448 classified
    i want this so bad since a couple days ago i rented some 3d movies and they came with the anaglyph glasses
    wich i use now for games using the 3dvision drivers if you have no 3d vision glasses or monitor u can use anaglyph mode with the drivers.

and its so awesome the immersion. specially in sim games. problem with anaglyph glasses is u get loss of color because u looking trough a red/green/ or blue filter. but u can get the idea of what the 3dvision can do.

some questions i have.
    Do you see the correct colors of screen when using 3dvision?
    does the image cover the whole screen? cause i saw a video review where the image was cropped and had black bars on left and right.

19. avivoni

avivoni Ancient Guru

GPU:
    560ti 448 classified
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2009
  20. Leon.S.K

Leon.S.K Master Guru

GPU: