GeForce 397.64 WHQL Game Ready Download & Discussion

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by zandathrax, May 9, 2018.

1. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    You can have WDDM 2.3 driver WHQLed and be able to run on WDDM 2.4, it's backwards compatible. I'm running WHQLed WDDM 1.3 driver from January in 1803 on my laptop right now, for example.
    Then again since this is a debug function more than anything it may not be even exposed to any tests.

2. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Since the point has obviously been missed.

Yes, there is backwards compatibility, you can run 2.3 drivers on 1803, and 2.4 drivers on 1709.

But this is not a 'debug' thing, you're just giving the OS a set of drivers that only have the features up till 2.3, or running an OS that only knows up to 2.3

dr_rus, have you ever actually used a HCK/HLK?

3. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    Having a WDDM 2.4 driver run as a WDDM 2.3 one in a WDDM 2.4 OS is a debug thing - or it would be if it was actually a thing exposed to end users, as this is what was asked initially.

4. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 970 Gaming 4G
    Yes, I still get this random reset about once or twice a week.
    It only seems to happen with FF (now ver 60) running, never an issue while playing or doing any real 3d work.

5. Sass Drake

Sass Drake New Member

GPU:
    Gainward GTX750 oneslot
    This is not fixed.

6. jrolson

jrolson Member

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Supposedly it was fixed in 397.31
    [Firefox]: Driver TDR error may occur when using Firefox. [2049523]

Now it's back in 397.64 :confused:

7. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 970 Gaming 4G
    Yup, wasn't there either for me.
    I also think FF had a fix in there too, but it is still happening (display flash with driver reset shown in event viewer) if I don't check Eventviewer I rarely see it happen.

8. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    All of you have maxwell gpu's, the issue was reported as Pascal specific affecting drivers beyond 385.41 per the bugzilla Bug 1458303 - This is fixed for both legacy and advanced layers.

There are also a number of 9x0 users i know that abuse firefox with massive tab counts and have not said anything to me recently, so I strongly suggest you guys to verify your system stability. Firefox is good at exposing bad ram configs or insufficient memory controller voltages.

It could even be a brand new maxwell specific issue, because it definitely isn't occuring on pascal.

9. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti OC
    I only had that 4-5x times ~387, later 388.xx were ok.

And one early 390.xx, this was really bad, bsod freeze .. I also reported it here and now I didn't see it since.

10. vf

vf Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD Radeon™
    If that was the case my system shouldn't even be stable with 378.92 that I'm currently on. I haven't given the latest drivers ago but hesitent after what I've been reading so far. I don't even have issues with 378.92 and Firefox 60.

11. diamond-optic

diamond-optic Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 970 FTW+
    This driver is good for my 970 on win7. Issue with aida64 on 397.31 is gone and the issue with precision on 397.55 is gone. Ive only played far cry 5 and no problems. Keepers

12. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    what?

did you even read what was written?

the tdr was occuring on pascal with drivers 385.69 and higher till 397.31,
    What does 378 have to do with anything?
    There were already some maxwell users complaining about tdrs before then, since 375 but were quite easily written off as users with not stable machines.

im fairly confident if you're not getting issues now you won't with 397 either.

13. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 970 Gaming 4G
    I don't know where you are getting your info from. For me honestly, I have seen driver crashes from Nvidia HW and FF for yrs. Maybe it has been fixed in certain driver/FF versions but it pretty bad %. I have been using FF at the beginning and moved to PM until FF59 came out. With OS from XP, Win7 and Win10 on 3 different systems I just ended up disabling HW acceleration.
    I have it on now cause I read it was truly fixed.
    I don't know what you mean but system stability, my ram is all stock DD3 1600 and I have never had a blue screen and can pass most all BM test I have tested, never had anything remotely with memory, its only FF with card clocks at idle.

Like I said it's at a point 90% users would not even notice how it's doing on my system, in past, it was much worse, but I can't say in a long time cause I had it disabled for yrs. Anyway, the cards I have used are 7900GTX, 660ti and now 970.

PS: Ido run a lot of tabs open, currently 30 now, FF 60 does run good overall and I am happy with general performance compared to past versions.

14. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Mozilla crash stats filtered by crashes of the gpu process and 900 series device id's.

I don't want to seem harsh, but if you've been experiencing it for years it says more about your choices in components and how you have things set up more than the drivers or firefox software. If you want to buy a non-reference card - and has been the case since Fermi, your web browser is going to be the first case that indicates bad memory or graphics card voltages.

You have an overclocked CPU, which raises the speed that particular parts of memory (cache) operate at.
    a vendor overclocked GPU that is fed machine code as interpretted via the driver using the CPU from DirectX or other API's.

I have multiple firefox profiles running concurrently with acceleration enabled, over 900 combined tabs with probably 120 loaded, have done through kepler, maxwell and pascal hardware upgrades and never experienced any stability issue till 385.69 came out.

and yes, i pulled the 980 from the system it was in and tested it for the issue post 385.69 in other machine and could not trigger it under the reported case the bugzilla i cited.

15. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 970 Gaming 4G
    Hehe, you sound like an FF dev, anyway thanks for the info.
    Yeh, I guess all my HW over the yrs has been falty.

Take care

16. Elajitz

Elajitz Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080TI Ventus
    Are my temps fine or bad?
    My ambient temp is around 26C and My Native Display size is 4k Acer Predator Monitor!
    My GTX 1080Ti FE is stock whit a custom fan profile! it reaches 73 tops at a fan speed of 93 %
    During heavy gaming such as Battlefield 1 and Far cry 5!
    On Idle my temps stays at 35 at a fan speed of 35%

My cpu stays at the 50s highest i seen is 55c
    i installed a new cooler today Cool master hyper 212 EVO
    whit Articsilver 5

Last edited: May 14, 2018
  17. Elajitz

Elajitz Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080TI Ventus
    Delete this! sry!

18. silis

silis Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 X 8G
    That's totally normal

19. Elajitz

Elajitz Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080TI Ventus
    thx! for the quick info! :)

20. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3080 Strix H20
    Two things, temps are fairly normal for FE.

You may see a temperature reduction of 5-10c and lowered fan speed with a quality paste.

Second, AS5 is dinosaur stuff now; plenty of stuff that is much better without being capacitive.

I.e Grizzly kryonaut, Gelid GC-extreme, prolimatech PK-3 etc.

Dragondale13 likes this.