GeForce 397.64 WHQL Game Ready Download & Discussion

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by zandathrax, May 9, 2018.

1. beeswax

beeswax Member

GPU:
    MSI 1080 Ti Gaming
    Hey Darren,

Sorry if others have already stated the same and if it doesn't add anything but on my system, which was upgraded from 1709 to 1803 and is on this new release of driver, the game starts OK via Steam. I didn't bother going all the way in game but I can launch from Steam, get the opening cinematic and get to the main menu OK. This is with MSI Afterburner running and the RTSS overlay enabled as well. I have all the May Win10 patches installed.

edit: my Win10 build version is 17134.48 - standard release, I'm not on any fast or early release rings. I'm also on the Steam Beta if that's relevant but I doubt it.

edit2: This is definitely Hitman Absolution I'm talking about, I see some others were getting mixed up with other Hitman games earlier in the thread. My HMA.exe is the same version as yours - 1.0.447.0. Seeing as it's a very vague error, all I can think of right now is simple steps like disabling any AV you have, making sure any display/graphics/monitor related helper apps are not running and trying a good old sfc and/or DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

Last edited: May 11, 2018
    Darren Hodgson likes this.
  2. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Played AC:O and skyrim special edition for a few hours with no problems. A hell lot better experience than the previous mess of a driver.

3. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    I've noticed some weird stuttering yesterday while benchmarking Far Cry Primal but it's hard to say if it's driver related or some background Windows process kicked in maybe.

4. kx11

kx11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    alright i was wrongg about this driver crashing FC5 , turns out it was the sound card issue when i play high-res audio files in the music player usually that crashes games because it takes over all the audio in the OS and block it to keep the sound as clean as possible

5. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    eGGroLLiO, fOrTy_7 and -Tj- like this.
  6. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Leave the crash message open and Filter Performance Monitor by the process on the CPU tab, check for any non microsoft modules in the list.

Also try running the DirectX june 2010 setup

7. tensai28

tensai28 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    rtx 4080 super
    Wow this brings me back. I almost forgot this was you. Seems like it's been forever since you approved a driver.

eGGroLLiO and -Tj- like this.
  8. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    :)
    My last one was 388.84, then 391.37 kind of.

this 397.64 is the first candidate for 397, at first there were some slowdown issues, 397.40 was better, but after I reinstalled (overwrite) its ok again.

Guess the first time it was a bad install, even though I seleced custom and clean install.

:D:cool:

9. xankazo

xankazo Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1060 SC (6GB)
    YES!

-Tj- likes this.
  10. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Thanks for trying to help. Alas, I've ran sfc /scannow and dism etc and no errors are reported with Windows. I am not using any other anti-virus software either except for the built-in Windows Defender (plus Malwarebytes Free which I run on demand approx. once a month otherwise it is not running in the background).

I do use a few Stardock apps such as Start10 and Fences plus WindowManager, Corsair Utility Engine and usually have Uplay, Origin and Battle.net running the system tray so it is possible that one (or more) of those is interfering with the game launching. Will try a clean boot of Windows and see if that makes any difference. The error in the Event log is not much help as it only tells me that HMA.exe crashed and does not include any other files or DLLs that can cause these kind of crashes.

11. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    I will try your first suggestion. I have already installed the DirectX 9.0c redistributable a few times already plus reinstalled the Intel chipset drivers etc along with various VC++ libraries. Since every other game works fine then I suspect it is not an issue with the operating system but with something specific I have running in the background that is conflicting with the game.

*EDIT*
    I've just exited Steam and tried running it as an administrator. I then started Hitman Absolution and, again, I am getting the Preparing to launch... window with the progress bar. Surely that is not normal? It already did all that yesterday (I have not rebooted since) and it is doing it again. This adds about two minutes to the game start! What is it supposed to be doing here?

12. Exostenza

Exostenza Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 GT
    Played a bunch of couch coop with a friend last night and nothing but butter. ARPGS, beat em ups, racing games, etc.. some low quality and some high quality graphics wise. I used DDU to install these from the hotfix and have the stutter fix still applied since the creators update that I have a guide for in another post here. No issues so far and silky smooth! Also did some VR and no issues as well. Played 3 or 4 games trying to get my by buddy the feel for VR.

13. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Yeah shut down all other apps and retry, if you have multiple clients with other software running simultaneously this sort of thing can happen.

For reference my background apps are:

[​IMG]

:)

Darren Hodgson likes this.
  14. spectral2k

spectral2k Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1GB GTX460
    Gears 4 is one of the games on my "plan to get to it eventually" list. How bad are the BSOD with Pascal? That bug seems to have been there forever. Which was the last driver that worked ok with the game?

15. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Never had BSODs in Gears4 on my 1080. But I'm not running it a lot outside of the benchmark these days.

16. CaptaPraelium

CaptaPraelium Guest

GPU:
    And my point is that the difference is in handling low frametimes and that's not something you test for, so you wouldn't know if the driver is bad.
    I tried all but the last two drivers and they were all still broken. That's all I'm missing out on. Stutter. I'm OK with that :)

17. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    So after some more testing I'm thinking that this might be the issue of NV's HDMI audio driver included in this and a previous couple of versions - for some mysterious reason it re-initializes the sound output in MPC-HC after a pause and this leads to it outputting only stereo, loosing all the other channels (out of 5.1 or 7.1 present in a video file). It switches to 16 bit audio format output while doing this as well - which is the main indication of this being a driver issue.

@ManuelG could you look at this maybe? System is in the info, Win10 1803 x64.

18. Festyr

Festyr Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080 OC 12GB
    what version of CUE are you using ? didn't they have issues with certain driver versions? I use 2.13.80 an older one but zero issues. and did you turn off some of win 10 junk settings like game bar in the windows settings?
    I am re-installing absolutions now to see if I have any issues also. on 1803 w/ 397.64
    *just ran benchmark and then the game itself. no problems at all. I hope you get it working.

19. anxious_f0x

anxious_f0x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF RTX 4090
    Everything seems to be going pretty smoothly with these for me.

20. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Gears 4 has been bsodding for over a year now, TC and Nvidia have claimed they are working on it this whole time lol.

WindowManager could be the cause, it places itself in every process started.
    https://forums.stardock.com/480397/windowblinds-105-update-seems-to-make-some-games-crash

Last edited: May 12, 2018