GeForce 397.64 WHQL Game Ready Download & Discussion

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by zandathrax, May 9, 2018.

1. CaptaPraelium

CaptaPraelium Guest

GPU:
    Not sure about all those other things you mentioned, but quite possibly it is the drivers after 388. This was the result of the 390 series release:. https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/geforce-driver-390-65-whql-download-discussion.418859/page-13

Someone said it's likely a hardware issue, but if older drivers aren't causing you problems, that's unlikely.

2. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    I have 144hz now and yeah going from 60 + is a difference, although surprisingly I dont see any lag or stutter if vsync and drop below 144, e.g. in 90-120fps area.

Anyway, I tested that 388.84 and said to allot its good, guess no one took it for granted and just talked on how good they were xD

391.37, 397.31 & 397.40 are worth a try.. newer vulkan wasn't soooo smooth as 397.40 for me, maybe its for you

Im at this 397.65 atm, but MKXL had some strange lags time to time, still not sure was it net or not (I played against AI), but I never saw anything like that before.. almost thought my pc freezed

3. Bhudda

Bhudda Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia FE 3070
    I'll give these a go in a little bit and edit my post if it has resolved or if I still have the same horrible stutter with these. I reached out to @ManuelG on Twitter about these latest drivers causing stuttering too. I pray that these work. Thanks
    edit - so I have had about 5 matches in PUBG and the hitching is not noticeable. I will continue testing throughout the week, but the games were much smoother.

Last edited: May 10, 2018
    CaptaPraelium likes this.
  4. xankazo

xankazo Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1060 SC (6GB)
    Thanks for the heads up.

5. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Just in case: you are aware that Windows power plan has a setting for PCI-E power saving mode?

6. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Yes I've seen that setting in the power options and then there's also additional options for the motherboard controlled via bios which from what I read has been problematic on some systems and that would need either a firmware update or turning the option off. :)

But I have a feeling that after reading the post again it's not so much about Intel's x390 (8000 series CPU's I think.) or AMD's 390 motherboards (And upcoming 400 series, Ryzen 2 then?) but probably it was about the 390.xx NVIDIA driver branch. I was too focused on 396 / 397 specifically rather than the entire 390 branch.

Need to look up what that option was called, something used on newer boards for power saving functionality but the implementation would cause problems for some manufacturers or certain models which yeah I'm still on a aging x79 here since six - seven years now so there's all sorts of new features I'm completely new too and that's going to be a bit of a learning curve heh.
    (It's about time for a thorough system overhaul now regardless of DDR4 pricing and other limitations though I do want to see NVIDIA's 1100 series of GPU's first, AMD's newer product is likely going to be later so it depends on how much later for that.)

mbk1969 likes this.
  7. tensai28

tensai28 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    rtx 4080 super
    There's plenty of us pushing our systems. I'm playing in custom resolutions from 3456x1944 to 3584x2016 and also in 3840x2160(4k) depending on the game on ultra settings. Yes I'm not shooting for 200fps but that's because it's currently technologically impossible on a single card due to the resolution I'm using. That being said these drivers are very good and I'm not sure what the problem you are having is. I've noticed my fps even go up on certain games and I used to use 388.84.

8. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    I think he meant cpu/system wise, not graphically..

I saw RE5 100fps regression when they made optimizations for RE7, i was already over 350fps, but yeah I couldn't take it as a measurement tool anymore since this happened.

And If one driver achieves constant 144fps+ while other drops to 120fps, I think that shouldn't be ignored. Im not saying this driver has it now, just in general.

9. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Maybe I wasn’t clear in my posts but I’ve already done this - all files are validated OK but the game still crashes. Could be a VC++ issue, I suppose, that’s something I haven’t checked.

10. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    M8 had issues with 2 games (ctd), when he installed thatguy visual c++ it fixed it.

Darren Hodgson likes this.

11. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    W10 Pro 17134.48 - Gears of War Ultimate

I've done some tests and it would seem there's a bug with performance of the shadows (potentially other things, but, this is as far as I've got). If I set shadows to "Low", then, my fps more closely resembles the fps of the PC in the youtube video. Even on Low, it's still not quite right as shoot-outs still has some hitching, but, its playable.

12. GroinShooter

GroinShooter Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 SC
    Has anybody actually even got the game to run "smooth" though? When I played through it on release fps was alright but it stuttered like crazy, at times it was unplayable but I managed to finish it, this was on a 980Ti/6700K setup. Maybe I should try it out on my current rig.

13. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    Watch the video in post 53.

14. looniam

looniam Guest

GPU:
    RTX3060 bcuz
    i get intermittent freezes for less than a second from time to time w/these after playing FC5 several hours. at first the drivers were smooth as butter - mins seemed better.

edit:
    windows 7 and just installed over some quadro drivers 391.33. (all minimum installs)

15. SpookySkeleton

SpookySkeleton Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090
    I'm gettings sttuters in all games but only when i use the system after i left it running idle for 8 hours, and fastsync gets disabled too since i play overwatch a lot with it, i noticed a lot of tearing even with the feature on.

Maybe has to do with the idle remove driver bug in the previous version?

How this can be reported in the driver feedback option of nvidia website, should i look for a log or anything?

16. Fumz

Fumz Guest

GPU:
    Evga 1080Ti sc black icx
    Win 10 1803. Valley and Superposition same score as 397.31, which is to say good; just a couple points down from 397.31 on 1709, which were the fastest I've seen to date. Vermintide 2 runs a bit smoother and faster than 397.31 too with higher min fps. More games later tonight.

17. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Without going too much into detail,

I would say this driver is
    https://s6.**********/3vyhlsllt/tj_approved.png
    :D

So far 397.64 is the best 397.xx., including vulkan dev drivers, 2nd is 397.40, 3rd 397.31.
    At least by generic testing, now lets see some games.

The only new bug is, taskbar becomes invisible when driver finishes installing.. Saw this by RS4 and only 397.xx . Just happened now again when I reinstalled the driver., reboot fixed it.

18. CaptaPraelium

CaptaPraelium Guest

GPU:
    Exactly, you're pushing high res but not high framerate. If you look at the graphs I posted, you will note that the stutters are all above 60FPS... You won't notice these problems at low framerates like 60. But if you're at 180FPS, a momentary drop to 60FPS frametimes is a terrible stutter.

19. tensai28

tensai28 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    rtx 4080 super
    My point is they both require a great amount of graphical power and drivers would make a difference. Therefore I am sensitive to drivers as well and not one of those people who aren't pushing their systems and I would know if a driver is bad. You're only missing out if you continue to stick to those old drivers.

Last edited: May 11, 2018
  20. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Well, I uninstalled Hitman Absolution and redownloaded it (12 GB) from Steam rather than use the original backup I had stored on one of my external USB drive. The game still refuses to start on my system and continues to give the same 0xc0000005 error in the Event log.

The weird thing is that after revalidating the files or (in this case) redownloading the game, Steam shows the usual "Preparing to launch..." window but with a progress bar that over the course of several minutes fills with blue squares. Not sure what it is doing here, considering it's a fresh install, but whatever it is it doesn't help me play this game!

Not sure what is preventing this game from starting. Everything else I've played so far works exactly the same on Windows v1803 as v1709 despite the change to WDDM from 2.3 to 2.4. I'm not running any injectors, the RTSS overlay is disabled and the NVIDIA game profile is set to the default. I have even reinstalled (repaired) a number of VC++ libraries (although Hitman Absolution oddly does not come with a Redist or VC folder so if it uses VC++ then I don't know what version). Game continues to refuse to launch (i.e. it crashes quietly!) on launch.

Frustrating.