GeForce 397.31 WHQL Game Ready Download & Discussion

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by peppercute, Apr 25, 2018.

1. mojoba

mojoba Active Member

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 2070 8gb
    Yes the latest 1803 version of Windows (aka April update) allows RGB 8bit + FRC. This allows hdr devices with hdmi 2.0 ports like the gtx 980ti or TV's/monitors with only 2.0 hdmi port to process a HDR signal whilst using full RGB.

Previous to this release I could also only output HDR at 10/12 bit deep colour at ycbcr 422, limited @ 60hz and 1440p resolution. But now Windows allows me to activate HDR at RGB 8bit Full @ 120hz. My HDR monitor isn't a true 10bit panel anyway but 8bit +FRC.

The colours are a lot richer at RGB full than ycbcr limited and my 980ti can output HDR at a much higher refresh rate of 120hz rather than 60hz.

I'm currently playing Assassin's Creed Origins at 1440p on very high graphics settings (resolution modifier on 80%). NVCP set with adaptive vsync @ half refresh rate. Render frames ahead set at 2, and triple buffering on. I have vsync on and frame limit set at 60fps in game.
    My display puts out a cleaner image at 120hz than it does at 60hz .But as my machine isn't capable of 120fps in this game, using adaptive vsync at half refresh rate allows me to get an almost constant and tear free 60fps.

I feel that HDR now works properly. Not sure if this driver is also necessary to use 8bit HDR (with dithering) on the 1803 preview build of Windows. But the Windows 10 April update will be available for general release on Windows update soon. And for owners of HDR displays, I think it's a must have.

397.31 seems solid and gives smooth frame rates but not as fast as 388.59 for me. But not sure if 388.59 works so well in HDR with new windows update and don't see any reason to roll back at the moment.

KingDazza likes this.
  2. vf

vf Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD Radeon™
    Ahh, now it all makes sense. While I temporarily take this off topic, I used to see that Squall Leonhart back in the day on the Auzentech forums getting ripped into members and the company.

He's been on many places ripping people/companies apart verbally. Seems he has a real vendetta with most things. As he can be quite hostile on those GeForce forums, that was why I asked. Any time I've been reading on those GeForce forums that Sora user seems to be all over the board mostly annoying people.

3. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti OC
    ^
    Ah yes, Squall, then he was sora here too.. Seen him on creative as well lol, I left geforce forums because of him, not worth the energy.
    I see,

then give it a try or 397.40V driver, from what I saw its only certain 1060GTX, could be a bios issue.. Seen it before with other older models.

There was a time when NV asked for 980Ti custom models to add to their lookup table.

4. Spider-Vice

Spider-Vice Member

GPU:
    Radeon RX 5700 8G
    The Zotac 3/6GB models seem to be bugged from a post I've seen, mine is a Zotac so...

5. FordLynx07

FordLynx07 Master Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1070 FE
    I can confirm the first issue happens to all of my systems too. Reverting back to 391.35 fixed it. With Heroes of the Storm, reverting it back to previous driver didn't solve the issue, so I think its game related as its present to all my PCs., so will probably wait for Blizzard announcements/updates...

*I'm still on Win10 64x 1709 (16299.402)

Last edited: Apr 28, 2018
  6. KingDazza

KingDazza Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti Strix
    Oh DP that will be why then. Thanks.

7. tensai28

tensai28 Maha Guru

GPU:
    2080ti MSI X TRIO
    I'm on rs4 1803 and both this driver and 397.40 perform worse for me on far cry 5. 397.40 even brought back the uxdl hang on shutdown. I think these did as well. 391.35 remains the best for me even though it doesn't have wddm 2.4

8. mojoba

mojoba Active Member

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 2070 8gb
    Yes DP 1.4 has the bandwidth for RGB full 10bit and HDR (or HDMI 2.0b). Available on series 10 cards, but also needs to be supported by the display .

KingDazza likes this.
  9. styckx

styckx Maha Guru

GPU:
    2080 Ti XC Ultra
    Leave your PC up a few hours and it'll happen again. These drivers are rubbish.

10. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 OC
    Driver is fine, both in performance and stability. I did see the UXDsomething hang on system shutdown once but that's the only issue I've ran into so far.

Dj_ALeX likes this.

11. Passus

Passus Maha Guru

GPU:
    RX 5700 Mech OC
    Well i'll know tomorrow as i leave it on to stream to my upstairs pc at night

12. Susahamat

Susahamat Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 980 Ti Poseidon
    yup i've noticed too . UXDservice is back !

13. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    I didn't see any uxdservice error on win 10 1607 at least.

What is it anyway? Part of GFE? I don't have that installed.

14. Khronikos

Khronikos Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA SC2 1080ti
    I think I am having problems with videos playing correctly in MPC, which is not being updated anymore. Might have to update the beta version of the fork.

Hardware acceleration seemed to be causing some issues on Youtube. Not sure if new driver or not. Not any huge issues for me, but a couple I would like to understand better.

15. cricket bones

cricket bones Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 980 TI FTW
    Ha! i remember him. I used to have an Auzentech Prelude and remember seeing him there and some other places.

16. Khronikos

Khronikos Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA SC2 1080ti
    Fixed.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2018
  17. klepp0906

klepp0906 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 2080TI
    Isn’t that a bit oxymoronic? You go on about the stability and then confirm it also hangs with that service on shutdown or restart like me and half the rest of the world?

Add in the crash during sleep I (and presumably the guy here who told me what was causing it) that was confirmed via the whocrashed dump analysis as being caused by Nvidia.

Plus the fact that sli wouldn’t work for me unless I disabled full screen optimization’s which in turn caused vsync not to work. Even then the sli indicator showed up across the screen instead of top to bottom.

Yea. Stable all right.

Rolled back to 391 and all is well. Those are stable. The ocd in me wants wddm 2.4 drivers but not even knowing what that brings to the table is only a compulsion at current. Definitely not worth all the problems.

intellimoo and tensai28 like this.
  18. tensai28

tensai28 Maha Guru

GPU:
    2080ti MSI X TRIO
    Exactly; I've noticed this kind of behavior quite often on these forums. People see a higher number and automatically want to install it without having a clue what it brings (or if it makes any difference whatsoever). I didn't notice any improvement with these drivers and I'm on windows 10 1803 17134.5. It did however have the service hang on shutdown and fps drops on games like far cry 5 (previous drivers were a solid 60fps even at 3584x2016 ultra). Api overhead test took a hit too. Didn't see any reason to keep using this so I reverted back to the previous 391.35.

19. khanmein

khanmein Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 SC
    [​IMG]

20. Khronikos

Khronikos Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA SC2 1080ti
    Well I guess MPC-HC is now on Git and getting updated. Great. They also have the BE version as well.

I updated all my codecs and stuff and cleaned the PC a bit. Things seems better now. It was probably my system. After updating windows and various apps plus k-lite pack and resetting everything is running well again.