1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

GeForce 397.31 WHQL Game Ready Download & Discussion

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by peppercute, Apr 25, 2018.

1. Martigen

Martigen Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080Ti SLI
    Yeah I need to connect all displays to the primary card as well, though it's been like that for as long as I can remember.

That is strange. I wonder if it's related to recent Win 10 fullscreen optimizations behaviour -- designed for all those nutjobs that want fullscreen acceleration in Borderless Windowed mode just so they Alt-Tab mid-game instead of, I dunno, playing the game. I mean.. are you playing the game or not playing the game? I digress.

SLI by definition needs Fullscreen Exclusive (as do other features like DSR). With FS optimizations on it absolutely fucks around with games. E.g for both Creators updates I had to ensure FS optimizations are disabled globally, otherwise I get behaviour like stuttering in-game (people with single cards are seeing this too), odd loads on SLI, and crap like a game starting windowed bordered even though its setting in-game is 'Fullscreen Exclusive' and needing to re-set the settings every time. Fucking debacle Microsoft.

This fixed all problems though:
    Regedit:
    Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\System\GameConfigStore

Set:
    GameDVR_FSEBehavior to 2
    GameDVR_FSEBehaviorMode to 2

Reboot. I don't know if it will help, but it can't hurt trying. I'm on 1803 now and every game is smooth as a baby's butt again with and without SLI.

snight01 likes this.
  2. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 970 Gaming 4G
    That is what I have now, I can't say what settings does it but I have everything disabled in settings DVR and Game mode.
    Its funny, I see so many reports on FSO but when I try toggling I just don't see any difference in performance.
    It's all smooth with games I have except for some Net issues that might pop up on a server.

I guess my system isn't fast enough for me to tell, I don't run Vsync on so that might alter results.

3. Martigen

Martigen Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080Ti SLI
    Just checking, disabling these is setting them to '2', a value of '0' is enabled.

You can also try directly on the .exe's properties to force disable it.

Also not all games will show a difference, it depends on the engine and if they're already using exclusive fullscreen or relying on Windows' borderless windowed mode.

4. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 970 Gaming 4G
    I was setting it in the exe properties with BF1 and BF4.
    I tend to play games one at a time, not all at same time.
    Got BL2, FC3/4 installed to but those run good and I always run full-screen mode.

5. michaellinder

michaellinder New Member

GPU:
    2 x Nvidia GTX 1080
    The impact of GeForce 397.31's issues have spread into content creation. Same nvcuda.dll unhandled exception alert crashes Adobe Premiere Pro CC 2018, and every time a video file is closed in Potplayer 64-Bit, Version 1.7.10667. It's true for all video formats and spex including 4K. Clean Nvidia installs, settings tweaks, Safe Mode games, Device Manager manipulation — un- and re-installation of everything leads nowhere. I add my system's details to your growing body of work.

Thanks for the great investigative energy in this forum. So many other sites are simply shrugging off the same questions with deafening silence.

• Windows 10 Pro x64 1803 Build 17134.5
    • 16-core AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950x
    • 2 x Nvidia GTX 1080 FEs in SLI mode
    • Aorus X399 Gaming 7 motherboard
    • 64 GB G-Skill DDR4 RAM
    • BenQ 4K LCD @ 60 Hz, 2 x Asus 1080 VG248 @144 Hz

. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Astyanax

Astyanax Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    This looks more like a situation of the software needing to update to maintain compatibility with the driver, happens when undefined behavior is patched in client api's that should never have been exploited.

7. klepp0906

klepp0906 Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 FE SLI
    I'm going to check in the registry here momentarily and see if that works as a global disable.

as you mentioned (and lord knows ive posted elsewhere) I found prior to reading this post that it is in fact tied to FSO.

The weird part is, if i disable surround - I dont have to disable FSO for SLI to work. With surround enabled, it requires me to disable FSO at every game I want to play in order for SLI to engage properly.

Also any driver prior to the wddm 2.4 ones I dont have to disable it period - even on 1803.

I assume this means its an nvidia driver issue with their newer drivers. Of course over on the nvidia forums the knights declaring it "works for them" are fighting me every step of the way as if it invalidates the fact it doesnt work fo rme.

When its 100% reproduceable back and forth, and as much as I spent on this build - lord knows ive put alotta stupid hours in trying everything I can - its out of my hands now. Bug report is in with nvidia but surround is always last and SLI isnt too far behind.

8. klepp0906

klepp0906 Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 FE SLI
    So inside the registry I have the following strings.

GameDVR_DXGIHonorFSEWindowsCompatible 0
    GameDVR_EFSEFeatureFlags 0
    GameDVR_Enabled 0
    GameDVR_FSEBehaviorMode 2
    GameDVR_HonorUserFSEBehaviorMode 0

no GameDVR_FSEBehavior as you mentioned.

Obviously the FSEBehaviorMode isnt helping me by itself, any of those others potentially related you think? Perhaps the "honoruserfsebehaviormode"?

EDIT no bueno on the honoruserfsebehaviormode being set to 2. no difference ><

Last edited: May 27, 2018
  9. Martigen

Martigen Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080Ti SLI
    I can't remember if my install had that already or I added it, but you can add it if it's not present.

However, an update on my experiences:

Since 1803 I've noticed all sorts of issues related to FSO. Thanks Microsoft for yet again fucking things up.

Firstly, I had a range of games upon which, for the .exe's properties, I had ticked 'Disable fullscreen optimizations'. These games now black-screened on launch, and the only way to fix this for me was to un-tick this box.

What's odd, of course, is those above registry values in theory do the same thing globally -- so why would un-ticking the .exe's individual properties make a difference? No idea, ask fucking Microsoft. The first implication might be: well, perhaps those registry values don't do anything, or at least what one expects.

But this is also not the case: I had a number of games, including XCOM2 (a reliable test) that would -always- automatically mininise upon launch, and stay mininised -- no amount of alt-tabbing, alt-enter, bringing to foreground, or any other hacks to fix this documented problem (you can google it) would work. It is related to multi-monitors, which I have.

This occurred in the previous Creators Update, and was fixed with the above global registry entries. In 1803, the above registry entries again fixed this behavior. So... these registry entries do actually do something, but perhaps it's not -quite- the same as ticking 'Disable fullscreen optimizations' on an .exe. We appear to be looking at different facets of FSO implemented by Windows.

To try and remedy this, I've started experimenting with Kaladien's SpecialK. Won't go into details for anyone not familiar, just go read/download here: https://steamcommunity.com/groups/SpecialK_Mods

SpecialK is pretty amazing in the level of detail it allows you to see at the rendering level, but it also features the ability to change queue implementation for DX11 games, which actually makes them smoother and can in some cases increase FPS (blit to flip queue). I digress, here's the interesting thing: while SpecialK is enabled, I can tick 'Disable fullscreen optimziations' on an .exe, and the game loads without blackscreening. While I'd like to think SpecialK is somehow fixing this implementation, I think what is actually happening -- seeing as it injects itself in the rendering pipeline -- is that it's simply bypassing Windows' numbnuts FSO.

Anyway, that's where I'm up to :) It took a while to get the first creator's update to behave with multi-screen and/or SLI implementations. But for 1803, so far I'm regretting updating :(

10. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega Pulse
    Overriding behavior might also break the full screen optimization feature so the program now works since FSO is no longer applying anything but I haven't really experimented with it much myself, RS4 had more options for this during a previous build but they were removed some time before 17133 / 17134 though the registry commands could still be of use but it just disables the feature I believe.
    (Toggling it on or off could still store some compatibility profile for the exe in the registry or elsewhere conflicting somehow, it's a bit of a mess hunting down what gets stored where.)

Perhaps they'll make a return in five months or so with RS5, I wouldn't expect monthly cumulative updates to add functionality the way Win10 works but they could improve compatibility or stability.

EDIT: RS4 it seems had only a option to disable it globally so it would have done the same as the reg tweak in effect.
    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/104080-enable-disable-fullscreen-optimizations-windows-10-a.html

Last edited: May 28, 2018

11. klepp0906

klepp0906 Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 FE SLI
    Fwiw that did it. For whatever reason that registry setting no longer existed. GameDVR_FSEBehavior 2

I added it and all my problems went away as far as FSO.

I imagine this was tied to the global toggle that used to exist.

What i now wonder is if it prevents actually USING the DVR should I want to toggle it on or off without going back into the registry.

Unlikely i would, but i dont like breaking things to fix something else if it can be prevented. Specially when if i decide to use it someodd months down the road and I forget what I did or why I did it. Then i spend hours and hours and stress trying to find out wth is going on lol.

Either way, for now it appears I wont have to toggle FSO off in every single game on my system lol.

Ty for that! About to check another system to find out if it was in fact removed or just missing on mine.

12. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 970 Gaming 4G
    I haven't messed with the registry on this, but my 1803 (17134.81) with just disabling in GameDVR/GameBar settings I have these reg values.
    GameDVR_DXGIHonorFSEWindowsCompatible 0
    GameDVR_EFSEFeatureFlags 0
    GameDVR_Enabled 0
    GameDVR_FSEBehavior 2
    GameDVR_FSEBehaviorMode 2
    GameDVR_HonorUserFSEBehaviorMode 0

13. klepp0906

klepp0906 Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 FE SLI
    Totally perplexing considering on both my machines it was in fact, missing.

Now I’m gonna go check my laptop. If it’s missing there then I’m gonna have to say something is wrong with YOUR system that has it :p lol

14. klepp0906

klepp0906 Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 FE SLI
    yep, my laptop that is a fresh install apart from being on insider fast ring inc ase i ever want to muck around with a new feature, also has it missing.

Either you added it and forgot, or its added by some other bit of software, perhaps a driver. Maybe nvidia is SUPPOSED to add it but with some configs does not with the newer drivers.

No idea, above my pay grade ><

15. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 970 Gaming 4G
    Yeh, I check my test 1803 VM and it is missing there, but that has all game DVR grayed out because of no vid drivers installed.
    I don't know, I don't remember adding it as I normally document any changes I make for future reference.

16. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vega 64 XTX LiQuiD
    Lads, Please try this (It's my MOD BTW :D)

0 = OFF
    1 = Always ON
    2 = Default

Default combined with Honor User Choice means it will behave as intended.

Copy/Paste into Tweak.reg file without "==" then Merge into registry.
    ==

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\GameBar]
    "ShowStartupPanel"=dword:00000000
    "GamePanelStartupTipIndex"=dword:00000003
    "AllowAutoGameMode"=dword:00000000
    "UseNexusForGameBarEnabled"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\System\GameConfigStore]
    "GameDVR_Enabled"=dword:00000000
    "GameDVR_FSEBehaviorMode"=dword:00000002
    "GameDVR_FSEBehavior"=dword:00000002
    "GameDVR_HonorUserFSEBehaviorMode"=dword:00000001
    "GameDVR_DXGIHonorFSEWindowsCompatible"=dword:00000001
    "GameDVR_EFSEFeatureFlags"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\GameDVR]
    "AllowGameDVR"=dword:00000000

==

Last edited: Jul 26, 2018
  17. Benik3

Benik3 Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus Radeon RX580 4GB
    I don't know if I got it right.
    If I set
    "GameDVR_FSEBehaviorMode"=dword:00000002
    "GameDVR_FSEBehavior"=dword:00000002
    "GameDVR_HonorUserFSEBehaviorMode"=dword:00000001

Does it mean Always ON? (because Honor is 1 and FSE is default)?
    Does it apply also on windows 1809 build?

18. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    No need for reg modifying, just turn it off from settings > gaming > game bar.