GeForce 388.31 WHQL Game ready Download & Discussion

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by zandathrax, Nov 15, 2017.

1. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti OC
    Speaking of dx12, i think its just frostbyte engine in general that sucks in dx12. Not that dx12 is bad.

So far any game made on this engine runs worse in dx12, that tells you something.

2. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    DX12 sucks in every Frostbyte game on every card.

No, doesn't work (does it even work with OpenGL?).

Unfortunately the same problem persists. Actually both 16xS and 32xS look worse than just 4xMSAA.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2017
  3. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 OC
    Try some hybrid mode which has 4x MSAA in it in addition to supersampling. I don't remember if there is one for OpenGL.

AFAIR KOTOR used 8xS as 8x AA mode which likely has some ties to how it handles FB distortions and thus may result in issues now when selecting pure MSAA 8x.

4. khanmein

khanmein Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 SC
    @Anarion Nope, just suggest only.

5. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    Actually that was a very useful and interesting read; something I had not really considered. Thank you for that.

6. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    If this driver is Game-Ready for Star Wars: Battlefront II yet the game runs so badly in DX12 vs. DX11 mode then does that mean NVIDIA don't test DX12?

I'm trying to fathom how a driver can be deemed game-ready when one of the game's supported API modes doesn't work as well as the previous ones on their cards. Make it seem like they only test DX11. Of course, benchmark websites, such as this one, test the game using DX12 (and why not it's supposed to be the latest and greatest API is it not? ;) ) yet I would wager most people are playing in it DX11 mode, which, to be fair, it does default to, at least on my machine, it did.

7. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 OC
    D3D12 in BF2 runs bad on all h/w.

People should really stop thinking that any performance issues are always due to drivers. This isn't true in D3D11 and it's even less true for explicit APIs like D3D12 and Vulkan. 90% of performance issues there are because developers generally don't give a f.

8. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    Well, perhaps NVIDIA need to make that clearer in their release notes then by stating that DX11 is the preferred mode to play games in rather than DX12 when they release these Game-Ready drivers.. If they are releasing game-ready drivers and saying nothing then can you blame people for wondering why DX12 is running so badly on their hardware?

True, Frostbite engine games default to DX11 and that is the API most people will use but, right now, I have to ask why developers are even supporting DX12 because apart from two games (Rise of the Tomb Raider, which is missing VXAO support in DX12, and Hitman) everything else I've played that uses it has been massively underwhelming; offering exactly the same visual settings (except for RotTR!) and/or exactly the same or worst performance. Even DX10 was more exciting, at least that added new features!

Maybe it's true that Microsoft only released DX12 to con people into upgrading to Windows 10 and there is little real benefit for most people to use it. Or maybe I'm just cynical?

9. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    There isn't anything really and CSAA obviously is not an option for Pascal.

10. Redemption80

Redemption80 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    The benefits of DX12, Vulkan and other low level api's can been seen in benchmarks, so we know it's not a con.

What we are discovering is that very few games were actually being held back by running on a high level api, which I think most of us already knew anyway.

11. khanmein

khanmein Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 SC
    Benchmark again! :rolleyes: Yeah, running DX 12 on certain games shown higher FPS, but unfortunately doesn't represent real life gaming experience.

Evidently, I don't look for those reviewers always showing over-clock score & I personally prefer out of the box performance.

12. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    You do realize that the oldest driver on the hardocp was released in 2015 whereas the newest on within that post was 2017?

Sure, it's not 4-6 years, but it's not 1 year either. And 2 years in the driver world is a long, long time.

If you're so adamant that drivers kill performance for older generation video cards, do the test yourself.

The only reason you'd be this up in arms about this "issue" is if you were being affected, so you must have an older generation card right? So, find an old driver, install it, run a game, record your information, and install the newest driver (clean install) and do it all over again.

And then there's the overclockers.ru link, that spans 2010-2015 on one of their benchmarks..............

[​IMG]

What is your argument again? 'cause....i'm callin BS.

[​IMG]

13. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti H20
    I'm playing KOTOR 2 right now;

SGSSAA works.

4XMSAA + 4x SGSSAA in inspector.

14. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 OC
    What? Why would NV need to be "clear" about this in whatever release notes if the blame for poor DX12 performance is solely on developers? From a pure technical point of view the only reason why DX12 would be slower than DX11 is because of badly programmed renderer. DX12 doesn't have anything in it which would legitimately result in worse performance on the same h/w as under DX11, on the contrary its main purpose is to give developers new options in extracting more performance than it's possible in DX11. If some developers can't be bothered to use these options then they should probably consider not using DX12 at all. There's nothing wrong with using only DX11 even in 2017 and 2018 and 2019 and so on.

Even in cases where DX12 is worse than DX11 there may be situations when it will eventually get better. If we have a game which is GPU limited right now and runs worse in DX12 it may eventually run better in DX12 actually once it'll become CPU limited on future much faster GPUs. There are some such games even now - like Hitman for example which for a long time was running similarly in 11 and 12 but with the launch of 1080Ti started to show some impressive gains in 1080p in DX12.

That would give you just MSAA in OpenGL I think. You need to use TSSAA for SGSSAA there.

15. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti H20
    I'll need to verify it later when i get home.

16. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    @ dr_rus - Why? Because if they are certifing a driver as game-ready for a particular game that supports both DX11 and DX12 then they must logically have tested both.

If one has issues then they should be recommending not using it until the developer or whoever has fixed it. This is something they've done in the release notes for drivers in the past where they specifically state that a reported issue is not driver related (they have a separate section for these).

As it stands, they make no mention of issues with DX12 therefore I was led to believe that the issue was with the driver itself or something on my system. It's just a bit of common courtesy really.

17. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 OC
    Seriously? That's your reaction to the three requests from different posters to backup your claims with any relevant data?

Game Ready doesn't mean anything beyond the fact that they've tested the game and checked the driver for any bugs which might come to light in this specific game. DX12 running worse than DX11 in some games is not a bug.

Who's saying that they don't? Developers are independent and may do whatever they want despite the recommendations. I kinda assume that different IHVs have different recommendations here too so it's usually pretty hard for a developer to conform to all of them.

Shady757 likes this.
  18. Yxskaft

Yxskaft Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX Titan Sli
    Dice probably prioritizes the DX11 path since they still need to support Windows 7. The DX12 support is probably just Beta status but they let users enable it anyway since they and AMD/Nvidia can get some useful figures out of it.
    The problem is also that if someone does a game that fully utilizes DX12, it will be impossible to run in DX11.

19. SSJBillClinton

SSJBillClinton Master Guru

GPU:
    2080Ti Zotac AMP!
    Wow, 26 posts in and you're already jumping on the "you're autistic!" wagon. Great argumentative skills, glad to have you here pal.

20. Shady757

Shady757 Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 GTX 970/GSYNC
    The only sociopath here is you. Only someone with severe issues would take something about drivers this far. Might wanna read some of your own links and images, pal.