GeForce 385.41 - WHQL driver Download & Discussion

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Aug 24, 2017.

1. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 OC
    People demand their monthly dose of placebo updates!

Dragondale13 likes this.
  2. Klementh

Klementh Master Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 1060 3GB
    In my previous system (i5 2500k) I noticed that the IME installer silently installed browser plugins for all my browsers, (it was called Intel identity protection, o secure ID, or something like that) then I investigated and settled to never install any IME drivers and to keep it disabled. The installer doesn't install plugins anymore but for most of us here there is no point going out of our way to make sure we have the latest version of IME drivers, or in case of AMD, PSP drivers. Just disable the thing in Device Manager and save some CPU cycles.

Also see:

For the record I don't say disabling it in Windows makes it less of a backdoor...

3. JaxMacFL

JaxMacFL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Jedi Titan XP
    I be honest, I get kinda shaky without it. :>)

4. elite69

elite69 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1060 6GB
    i instal these and have played tekken7,mafia3,cod4,hitman 2016,gta 5 but next metal gear solid 5 just froze the image i could hear the sound but only that one froze on me.

5. gregjet

gregjet New Member

Just a word if you have Steelseries keyboard and/or mouse ( I have both). If you have auto update or you update about the same time as you update the video drivers it stuffs the keyboard input. I had to use another keyboard and uninstall the latest steel series patch, load previous and turn off auto update with the net disconnected. I thought it was the video driver because they both updated at the same time. I don't know of it is fixed as I have turned off autoupdate. for the time being.

EDIT: Sorry I forgot to add: WIN7, MSI Z97 mobo,

6. X7007

X7007 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D 1080GTX
    Do you guys use Nvidia 3D or 3DTV ? did you notice that the wizard/ health test doesn't work since 382 ?? this is one of the bugs I'm talking about. so by all means when new drivers are needed it's because it's not working..... and go figure how many more bugs there are in the Nvidia 3D in the 3D that you are looking at .

7. Dragondale13

Dragondale13 Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 AMP! • H75
    I'll stand in solidarity with you starting from tonight fellow g3d member.Going back to 382.53 as my way of protest (what do we want? 3D Vision! when do we want it? now!) I don't use 3D but if I did, I'd be extra pissed and besides, my FS graphic score is 300 points more vs 385. :p

8. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti H20
    Disabling Intel management interface is a bad idea.

It allows apps like hwinfo64 cpuz etc to poll correct information from the chipset.

You probably downloaded some package installer, winraid website has just the driver only.

Dragondale13 and Xtreme512 like this.
  9. Dragondale13

Dragondale13 Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 AMP! • H75
    Such a knowledgeable senator you are.

10. Klementh

Klementh Master Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 1060 3GB
    I had it disabled with no drivers installed for about 5 years on Windows 7 when I had my i5, and everything, including HWiNFO64 worked perfectly fine while doing extensive testing with IntelBurnTest and the like.

The IME "package" came from the Intel website and didn't give any hints that it installed the browser plugins. They definitely gave up on that long ago but that's just what prompted me to dig, and I'm glad I did. Dont lie to yourself, you don't need that dung enabled for anything. Otherwise you could easily prove me wrong.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2017

11. ManuelG

ManuelG NVIDIA Rep

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 2080 FE
    This will be fixed in Windows 10 Fall Creators Update. For now we recommend using the Windows display properties to use Microsoft's Windows built in 3D support.

dr_rus likes this.
  12. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX 1080
    With the driver only there are no browser plugins etc. and that dung is enabled regardless of having it disabled in Windows Device Manager, it still runs outside of OS context.
    Regardless of driver or not, I think most important is to use the latest firmware for the given chip to get around silicon bugs on newer CPU's with the given motherboard.

If we are concerned about spying issues we need to permanently disconnect our PC's from the internet, not use smart phones and so on.

13. Dragondale13

Dragondale13 Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 AMP! • H75
    Ok so I tried 382.53 but gameplay in Witcher 3, using 385.41 is clearly smoother, especially when the action starts.

14. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti H20
    Intel Management Engine Introduction: Built into many Intel-based platforms is a small, low power computer subsystem called the Intel Management Engine (Intel ME). This can perform various tasks while the system is booting, running or sleeping. It operates independently from the main CPU, BIOS & OS but can interact with them if needed. The ME is responsible for many parts of an Intel-based system. Such functionality extends, but it's not limited, to Platform Clocks Control (ICC), Thermal Monitoring, Fan Control, Power Management, Overclocking, Silicon Workaround (resolves silicon bugs which would have otherwise required a new cpu stepping), Identity Protection Technology, Boot Guard, Rapid Start Technology, Smart Connect Technology, Sensor Hub Controller (ISHC), Active Management Technology (AMT), Small Business Advantage (SBA), Wireless Display, PlayReady, Protected Video/Audio Path etc. For certain advanced/corporate features (AMT, SBA etc) the ME uses an out-of-band (OOB) network interface to perform functions even when the system is powered down, the OS and/or hard drivers are non-functional etc. Thus it is essential for it to be operational in order for the platform to be working properly, no matter if the advanced/corporate features are available or not.

There are many things in OS level that will use IME.
    Since most consumer boards don't have AMT(business version with network support, remote capability, etc) it's safe to leave it on in any circumstances.

15. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti OC

16. Klementh

Klementh Master Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 1060 3GB
    That text you quoted tells about stuff that either doesn't require device drivers to work, or is useless to more than 99.9% of people. If you can't tell specific uses and effects of having it enabled or disabled, that just confirms my convictions.
    Interesting, but I said disabling it is just for its uselessness, and potential waste of CPU cycles. Still the thing has access to all memory and peripherals, which means that not having AMT isn't going to save you if a IME related vulnerability is ever used to create zombies without anyone realizing how they came to be, or to just mass spread ransomware, as long as your PC is online.
    Can you tell the specific effects, and how you measured them?

17. Fumz

Fumz Member Guru

GPU:
    Evga 1080Ti sc black icx
    mah eyeballs let me know bf1 is running smoother.

18. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti OC
    Same here, few U3E ran a little better too, ITA made some Cryengine games run stabler (its a win10 only fix), maybe others too I didn't test further.

19. Klementh

Klementh Master Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 1060 3GB
    I see. It's an improvement that can't be measured or captured with tools, right? Quadro drivers IQ anyone?

20. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti H20
    Are you just trying to be argumentative?

You haven't proven how it wastes your CPU cycles or how its bogging down your system.

Secondly, AMT is an addon ontop of IMEI, which clearly you don't understand that.
    There is zero online capability/network interaction with standard consumer IMEI.

If you want specifics, i can give you them.
    You cannot change fan speeds through software that's on mobo fan headers, you can't change any clock speeds, voltages, ram timings, etc without that driver.
    With that driver, you get way more information regarding sensors and other options; it will get that information from a hardware level which is always more accurate than any software reading.

But you can live in your conspiracy world and believe it's stealing your cpu cycles and allowing ransomware to easily find itself on your PC.