GeForce 378.92 WHQL driver download & Discussion

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by peppercute, Mar 20, 2017.

1. ManuelG

ManuelG NVIDIA Rep

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 2080 FE
    Do you have HDR enabled or disabled in game?

2. kx11

kx11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090
    it's set to Auto

3. angelgraves13

angelgraves13 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti FE
    Pretty good drivers, no issues to report.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2017
  4. cb99

cb99 Member

GPU:
    msi gtx 980 ti
    Lurking/reading now and then ;)
    When assessing info. the model of gpu is important, many tend to rotate those fairly quickly ;) so remember to update gpu info. in the profile, it makes "sorting" info. so much easier.

And many thanks to all that do spend a lot of time to investigate and share info!

-cb99

5. Bloodred217

Bloodred217 Master Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX 1080 G1 Gaming 8GB
    Yes, VESA adaptive sync on desktop cards. Whether it makes business sense for them isn't relevant to my consumer experience and my experience with NVIDIA products is worse because they refuse to support it. The fact that there's no technical reason for this lack of support (since it works on notebooks, as you point out) makes it all the more infuriating.

They don't support it because it won't make them any money like G-Sync does I assume. I don't have to like that as a consumer, do I? Forcing G-Sync is bad for us (consumers) in 2 different ways at least, first up equivalent G-Sync monitors are straight-up more expensive and even worse than that is the vendor lock-in it encourages. Being more expensive is one thing, but monitors are fairly long-lived products, much longer lived than graphics cards for sure. Buying a G-Sync monitor means you either have to stick with NVIDIA for several graphics card upgrade cycles, even if they make an inferior product in the future, or you have to give up on the variable refresh rate you paid extra for in the first place. That's a pretty sucky situation as a consumer, is it not?

Don't get me wrong, I don't expect NVIDIA to support something that won't make them money, but they'd get more good will if they did. In the end I do not regret my decision to buy NVIDIA products because they currently make the best, that doesn't mean I like everything they do as a company or their entire ecosystem.

Anyway, we should put an end to this discussion as it doesn't belong in this driver thread.

6. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 OC
    There are technical reasons and I believe that I've already listed them. Supporting something like adaptive sync is not an on/off switch, you have to dedicate resources to such support to make sure that stuff works as intended and to implement the solution itself on top of the specification (Freesync is AMD's solution on top of adaptive sync specification for example).

When you have your own tech for this spending these resources on supporting something which is by definition inferior makes no sense.

7. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Idk, for a while I could make the argument that G-Sync is superior, but the features that set it apart are slowly starting to be added to Freesync and the price premium on G-Sync monitors is no longer worth ULMB, which is basically all that remains to set the two apart.

Like when G-Sync had ULMB/Windowed/Overdrive/LFC/Expanded Range - I could justify spending $150-200 more than a Freesync equivalent. Now I'm spending $200 for ULMB..

G-Sync with HDR might have some additional capability that Freesync isn't able to mimic but that's left to be seen. I'd personally like to see them support Freesync and make G-Sync a premium option with stricter standards. Like guarantee G-Sync monitors have zero dead pixels, operate within a certain % of uniformity across the screen, meet certain contrast/input lag measurements - so you know if you're buying a G-Sync monitor it's going to be perfect, as opposed to my experience with both the PG278Q and the Acer xb720hu, where I had to return multiple of each one because of backlight bleed issues and other manufacturing defects.

8. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 Ti FTW
    I do have G-Sync and still think the whole situation is BS. If they don't support FreeSync too, that is an admission of lack of confidence in their product. If they truly believe G-Sync is superior, then people would choose G-Sync over FreeSync. But they're afraid that people would go for a FreeSync monitor instead. Not so confident after all, are they.

And if you buy an expensive g-sync monitor, especially one of the upcoming 4K IPS 144Hz ones, that's a pretty big commitment. You're locked in to nvidia cards for a very long time. People upgrade their monitors very rarely compared to how often they upgrade GPUs. If you're on a g-sync monitor, you can't upgrade to an AMD card. For as long as you own that monitor, VRR is only possible with nvidia GPUs.

IMO, it's not about the money they make from selling g-sync modules and/or licenses. It's about locking you in to nvidia cards for as long as you own the g-sync monitor you bought.

9. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Is there a bug with fast startup and this driver's control panel? When I try to open the Nvidia Control Panel from Windows' control panel, nothing happens. When I restart the PC, it opens normally. Worked normally in 378.78.

I'm using windows 10 15063.

10. rla1999

rla1999 Member

GPU:
    NVIDIA 1080 TI FE
    Which games have you tried?

11. Bloodred217

Bloodred217 Master Guru

GPU:
    Sorry, I don't see where you've listed why NVIDIA desktop graphics cards cannot support VESA Adaptive Sync, in practical terms. Whatever work had to be done both on the hardware and software side clearly is already finished - as VESA Adaptive Sync works in laptops, doesn't it? It works with very similar Pascal/Maxwell GPUs as those available for desktop cards, over eDP. "GSync" over eDP exists and is functional today.

The only thing I can see that may require some more work is making sure that it also functions correctly with the various desktop monitors which implement VESA Adaptive Sync, but since it's the same standard I don't believe that would have been extremely difficult had NVIDIA decided to support it. I'm sure monitor manufacturers would have been eager to make it work as well considering NVIDIA's dominant market share.

I already outlined why it makes a lot of sense for NVIDIA's customers. Might not make sense for their bank accounts, that's true. As for "inferior", I've used FreeSync for months and while I don't own a GSync monitor currently I have seen it myself in action on friends' systems, whatever measurable differences exist they were not apparent in practical use of either VRR option, they both achieve the goal of removing tearing and they both remove the real-world noticeable input lag regular VSync adds. They could keep their superior GSync too - and let it stand on its own, if it's so much better it should dominate the market. Offer it as a superior alternative to the baseline VESA Adaptive Sync support, a high-end option.

The option to benefit from VRR no matter what graphics card brand I buy would be much, much more valuable to me than on-paper superiority that requires specifically-designed benchmarks in order to discern.

12. angelgraves13

angelgraves13 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti FE
    Doom, Dishonored 2, Resident Evil 7

Not really playing anything else at the moment. Trying to finish up the last two before Prey unlocks. Just getting into Doom's multiplayer.

13. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 OC
    The sole fact that only a handful of notebooks have g-sync support should tell you all you need to know on what's done and finished. Basically, you have to tune the implementation for each device which you want to support. It's not an "on/off" switch.

The fact that they are using the same standard means little considering how lax this standard is in the first place. Supporting something like this is an ongoing effort which will stretch resources thin over this and g-sync and NV certainly doesn't want this.

What makes sense for their customers but not for their bank account will never be implemented. Because business, you know. There's a hidden cost in every "free" thing out there.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2017
  14. Bloodred217

Bloodred217 Master Guru

GPU:
    What the existence of the feature on laptops tells me is that the hardware is clearly capable of supporting it and the software as well. This doesn't mean it's takes literally 0 effort to enable it for desktop cards and monitors, but I haven't said it would. Yes, it would take some work from NVIDIA to do this, but their products would improve by offering an attractive feature for their customers.

Anyway, I was hoping you knew of some actual (technical) reason why this can't/won't be done, but at this point it's just speculation and beating around the bush so I'm really not going to continue this discussion here, since we're off topic for the thread.

It won't be, since there's no pressure for NVIDIA to support vendor-free VRR. It would be nice if the HDMI version changed this, but I doubt it.

15. rla1999

rla1999 Member

GPU:
    NVIDIA 1080 TI FE
    Thanks. I play Doom and Dishonored 2 also. Thought about sticking to the previous driver but may reconsider

16. 256k

256k Member Guru

GPU:
    1070M & 2080TI Trio
    @ManuelG I have a OLED B6V which have HDR10+Dolby Vision but i'm not able to run Andromeda on Dolby Vision, why?

17. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 OC
    It won't be because something which is a benefit to the end user is not necessarily a benefit to the company producing it. I don't know why people have such a hard time understanding this.

18. haste

haste Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 @ 2.1GHz
    That depends on situation. Decision to not support certain technologies could lower sales and hurt the company in long run. It's just a trade-off. I'm actually well against this FreeSync/GSync AMD vs NVIDIA bull****. It would be the best to have just one standard implemented by both HDMI and DPort. And to be honest I still hope that the common sense will take over making both FreeSync an GSync obsolete.

19. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 OC
    Sure, but as of right now there is no benefit for NV to support VESA adaptive sync. Also, nothing will be obsolete as "just one standard" will still be only the basis for IHVs implementations. It's perfectly possible for example that even if all IHVs will support the same basis tech some monitor implementing adaptive sync or VRR would only work with AMD's Freesync for example.

20. siriq

siriq Master Guru

GPU:
    Evga GTX 570 Classified
    I was just reading the NV control panel will be changed, completely. Will be integrated into GFE (experience) :D
    This is the last thing i ever going to use. I hope Nv going to change the way and let us use the new GUI (development already in progress) as before.