GeForce 378.92 WHQL driver download & Discussion

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by peppercute, Mar 20, 2017.

1. rla1999

rla1999 Member

GPU:
    NVIDIA 1080 TI FE
    Hows this driver performing with these games: witcher 3, GTA5, Infinite warfare, wildlands? Better than 378.78?

2. dzy_1

dzy_1 Active Member

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 1070 STRIX
    Seems worse for me on wildlands...almost 20 fps less...wtf

3. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 Ti FTW
    I never notice any difference here. Every time I upgrade the driver, it's neither faster nor slower (unless you consider a 2FPS difference as being important) nor more smooth nor anything.

I seem to be in the minority :p

4. wrathloki

wrathloki Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA FTW3 3070 ti
    I think there's usually a lot of placebo/nocebo effect in these threads regarding FPS. Crashes and bugs are another story though.

5. wrathloki

wrathloki Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA FTW3 3070 ti
  6. Minotaur

Minotaur Member Guru

GPU:
    Gainward 1080 GLH
    It's working fine here now, it has for a few driver versions so far!
    btw, The link doesn't work, I bet it's a test with older drivers and versions of BF1 back from Dec/Jan? A recent test would be interesting to see...

Because things have definitely changed here, it seems smoother than it was before. The FPS swing is a lot lower too and more consistent. Poor G-Sync doesn't kick in now, no lows :( lol

7. tfam26

tfam26 Guest

I experienced something similar myself yesterday. I was running the game completely maxed out and basically just set Effect Quality to High instead of Ultra and now I'm not getting the crashes anymore. Not only that but Effect Quality = Ultra is a massive performance hog. Running 4k native scaled @.60 resolution, getting 60FPS consistently now as opposed to dips into the low 50s occasionally. Systems been stable for well over a year and running, no issues with any other games so it must be something with the game itself.

Also, this game much like many others benefits greatly from using RTSS for framepacing on standard monitors. Per usual, I'm using it in tandem with driver vsync; it seems to provide a better experience than the in-game vsync or the user.cfg Frostbite framelimiter.

8. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    HDMI 2.1 is a transport specification, HDR (or anything else really) is implemented on top of the transport specification as a separate protocol for data transmission. Not sure why your link is saying that HDMI 2.1 have something to do with HDR, DV is implemented and working fine over any HDMI really, or DP for that matter. Same is true for HDR10, HDR10+ or HDR12 - the transmitter and receiver devices must know of this protocol to exchange over it via HDMI or DP transport, that's pretty much all.

HDMI 2.1 is important for other reasons, like the increase in bandwidth which will make possible use of HDR10/DV in 4K@60Hz (and 4K@120Hz probably) and the apparent requirement on supporting adaptive sync - although it remains to be seen if it will be a requirement or an optional extension again. In any case, this is all rather moot for us here as we have an option of using DP 1.4 which already have considerably higher bandwidth than HDMI 2.0.

9. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 Ti FTW
    That's why it's best to cap the frame rate when using g-sync :)

10. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080Ti @h2o
    After installing the new driver with GFE it didn't work, reverted back to old drivers (no DDU this time), then installed the new ones again (fresh install), then again via GFE's internal update mechanism, then it worked.

So in case anybody runs into the same problem, do a clean install, and if it doesn't work, try it from inside GFE.

11. tensai28

tensai28 Maha Guru

GPU:
    2080ti MSI X TRIO
    I tried these over 378.78 and mostly the same performance except some of my games stuttered a little. I'd just stick with 378.78 unless you need these for something. Of course you could always just try them out for yourself then revert back if you don't like them.

12. Keesberenburg

Keesberenburg Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 TI sc
    Shadowplay and G-sync works fine here.

13. The Goose

The Goose Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSIrtx3070 gaming X
    The Division and Arma3 are a bit choppy with these

14. Angrycrab

Angrycrab Master Guru

GPU:
    Titan XP EVGA Hybrid Kit
    Basically what HDMI 2.1 will do Is eliminate any type of additional hardware for Dynamic Metadata processing(Dolby Vision METADATA Parser,Composer). So In a sense there won't be any need for the Industry to change the current HDR10/DV Standards. It will also add “Game Mode VRR” "variable frame rate" feature which expectedly might put an end to Gsync and Freesync.

That's all hopefulness at this point.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2017
  15. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 970 Gaming 4G
    Yeh, this forum won't let full name of site, but if you copy/paste to Google it be first one, even with the **** in name.
    Its like a week old and shows no improvements, some cards even slower or worse frametimes.

http://www.e_teknix.com/battlefield-1-directx-11-12-performance-analysis/
    remove the "_" and should work.

16. slickric21

slickric21 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 1080ti SC / Gsync
    Exactly the same

17. rla1999

rla1999 Member

GPU:
    NVIDIA 1080 TI FE
    I typically don't check too closely but I see people do so I ask. Seems this is a driver I can skip.

18. rla1999

rla1999 Member

GPU:
    NVIDIA 1080 TI FE
    Thanks for the info

19. benjamin

benjamin Member

GPU:
    gigabyte1060 oc
    About the same mate but I thought that 378.78 was a big improvement I had no problems with the witcher 3 but gta 5 I was having a bit of trouble with still playable but since 378.78 gta 5 is smooth, the best its been for me, 378.78 has been the best driver for me since I got my 1060 for me 378.92 is just as good as 378.78 I had lower score in 3d mark fire strike which I think is like just a ruff guide but I will take that any day for smoother game play, good driver for me mate, hope it is just as good for you.

20. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 Ti FTW
    How so?