GeForce 372.90 WHQL driver download & Discussion

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Driller_au, Sep 21, 2016.

1. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 OC
    I missed that part but it's still worth trying. Stable clocks doesn't mean that the game isn't being affected by the power saving changes.

2. aufkrawall2

aufkrawall2 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX 580 Armor
    Do we have knowledge that the maximum performance power profile changes anything else apart from the actual clock?

3. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti OC
    Drops voltage 1 step and boost 1 step.. But only if OC'ed and only when it exceeds 65C, at least Maxwell GPU2.0 boost.

4. KorbenD

KorbenD Member

GPU:
    Asus GeForce GTX 980
    Ran into a bug that drove me nuts with these drivers. It might be specific to laptops using Optimus to integrate with the CPU's graphics controller. This was on a Gigabyte P37W with a GTX 970M.

Symptom was that several areas in Explorer were slow. Click on show hidden system tray icons, and it would take 2-3 seconds to appear. Move mouse pointer over those icons, 1-2 seconds to highlight each one. Click Start, 2-3 seconds for the menu to appear. Window refreshes were also that slow. Scrolling in a window also had a delay before it updated. No tasks were using an abnormal amount of CPU.

Tried almost everything, including stopping all programs and unnecessary services from starting. The problem would occur almost every cold boot, but a restart would usually resolve it.

Rolling back to 372.54 instantly brought it back to normal speed. I've shut down and started up several times, and it hasn't happened again.

Gigabyte P37W
    GTX 970M
    i7-4720HQ
    16 GB RAM
    Windows 10 x64, all current patches

My desktop is running this 372.90 with no issues.

5. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    I have an i7-4770K @ 4.0 GHz, 16 GB of memory and an EVGA GTX 1080 FTW card running on Windows 10 Pro v1607 and using the latest v372.90 Game-ready graphics drivers.

Forza Horizon 3 runs fine for 99.5% of the time maxed out at 4K and 30 fps with 8xMSAA except for some rare but annoying half second freezes, where it looks like the game is going to crash but doesn't. Apart from one instance of severe artifacting as I drove through a forest (it looked like some kind of z-buffer issue with the trees), the only other issues I've experienced are some roadside scenery such as bridges and fences appearing and disappearing as I raced past them as shown here: http://forums.guru3d.com...39086&postcount=230

I've also seen a texture issue on distant hills, mountains and buildings which looks like the game is switching between low and high detail models/textures. It's really distracting and bizarrely looks as if it is pulsating in time with the music (I don't think it is intentional though somehow).

Great game but it clearly needs some further optimisation for PC, likely via the game and driver itself.

That I can run this game at 4K30 with 8xMSAA but it can't manage a stable framerate at 1440p60 is disappointing. I saw mention on one forum of an issue with the game maxing out one core and that disabling it forces the game to max out the other cores leading to much better overall performance. Not sure how true that is but if it is then that definitely needs addressing. I've also read that game decrypts and encrypts files in real-time while you play leading to a high I/O overhead that can causes performance issues. Again, not sure if this is the case but it might explain the performance freezes I've experienced.

6. mojoba

mojoba Active Member

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 2070 8gb
    Why would you even need msaa at 4k? And why would you want to play a racer at 30fps? I'm sticking to my 980ti and 60fps @ 1080p until Nvidia release a card that can hold a constant 60fps at 4k (and doesn't cost a grand). I'm so used to 60fps that 4k isn't worth the sacrifice. I'd rather have silky smooth gameplay than sluggish more detailed graphics.

7. Party Poison

Party Poison Maha Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 2080Ti
    I wish someone would tell that to Sony with their Ps4Pro

8. khanmein

khanmein Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 SC
    reviewer like jayztwocents always ran "it" benchmark with 2x MSAA is more than enough.

9. mojoba

mojoba Active Member

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 2070 8gb
    I know. I think the PS4Pro will largely be just upscaling 1080p graphics to 4k. The games are not being patched to have 4k quality textures like some PC games have. My 4k TV upscales 1080p content anyway so the PS4Pro is a waste of money in my opinion (if you already have a PS4). The reason why I don't have a PS4 or an Xbox One is that games are locked to 30fps, which is so last gen. But I guess they are low cost machines and you get what you pay for.

I'm not sure if I had a PS4 I'd be wanting to upgrade to a Pro as I doubt you'd notice much difference (unless they patch games with better textures or release separate games for it). The PS4 Pro pushes 4.2 teraflops and the 980ti 6.4 teraflops. I appreciate the PS4 is more optimized for gaming so yeah it will do 4k at 30fps like my machine can do, and if you've played at 30fps all your life ignorance is bliss, and I'm sure the new owners will be happy :)

Last edited: Sep 28, 2016
  10. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti OC

Does it happen by default Factory OC too?

Last edited: Sep 29, 2016

11. shimosk

shimosk New Member

Finally updated my driver to this one and Im satisfied.

GTX 1070 G1

12. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    Because the game does not maintain a solid 60 fps on my system at 2560x1440 even with MSAA turned off and only FXAA enabled. It wavers mostly between 40 and 60 fps depending on where I am and sometimes even dips to the low 30s fps during packed races leading to inconsistent controller response/feek and fluctuating performance that makes the game look, at times, like it is speeding up and slowing down over a period of time. It is not, for me, a good experience.

30 fps on the other hand, feels so much better since the framerate is locked for 99.9999% of the time (with only the occasional split second freeze as the game). This also allows me to crank up all the settings to max at 4K and it still holds an almost perfect 30 fps. It just feels far more enjoyable to play like this.

It's clear, to me anyway. that this game is made with 30 fps in mind and that the 60 fps option is either not properly optimised or just there as an option for the PC but little work has gone into refining it (i.e. it was just a checkbox for PC owners so they wouldn't gripe about having to play a game at 30 fps!).

13. anxious_f0x

anxious_f0x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti SLi
    I'm totally with you on this one, Forza Horizon 3 was just never designed to run at 60fps, it's clear no effort has gone into optimising it to run at anything over 30fps.

Luckily this is one of the few games that's actually playable on PC at 30fps, it's not ideal, but until Playground Games fixes it, for many of us it's the only option we have to enjoy the game.

14. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Anyone playing mad max? I'm getting missing textures every now and then. Things like missing floors (you instead see the skybox) or walls.

15. supersym

supersym Member

GPU:
    SLI gtx 980
    Hello !
    I get tearing with prepar3D 3.4.
    It's the first time a long time ago...

16. anxious_f0x

anxious_f0x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti SLi
    Posted this in the Forza Horizon 3 thread but it may well be driver related.

17. schoolofmonkey

schoolofmonkey Member Guru

GPU:
    ROG GTX2080ti Strix
    Yep, but not just with this driver.
    A restart fixes it.

18. GanjaStar

GanjaStar Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4G gtx970 1506/8000
    Often, cards get stuck in idle clocks that a restart fixes when the GPU driver crashes and recovers. You guys sure your clocks aren't causing driver crashes?

19. SlazsH

SlazsH Active Member

GPU:
    MSI 2080 Trio X
  20. endbase

endbase Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 Gaming
    Here you go all the fixes from this update

We have released Cumulative Update to Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 14393 for PC and Mobile on Release Preview Ring which will bring the build number to 14393.222 for PC and 14393.221 for Mobile (KB3194496). This Cumulative Update contains the following fixes:

Improved reliability of the Windows Update Agent, shared drives, virtual private network (VPN), clustering, HTTP downloads, Internet Explorer 11, Hyper-V platform, multimedia playback, and Microsoft Edge.
    Improved performance of push and local notifications, Hyper-V platform, and some social media websites using Microsoft Edge.
    Addressed issue where mapping a drive from an elevated command prompt doesn’t work with administrator credentials.
    Addressed issue causing movies that were ripped using the transport stream (.ts) format to play without sound in Windows Media Player and the Xbox One Media Player app.
    Addressed issue causing the Movies & TV app on the Xbox to stop working when attempting to play content that was just purchased from the Store.
    Improved support for networks by adding new entries to the Access Point Name (APN) database.
    Addressed issue causing “Print all linked documents” to not work in Internet Explorer 11.
    Addressed issue preventing some users from changing the default download location in Windows 10 Mobile.
    Addressed issue causing unnecessary notifications about fixing Microsoft account in Windows 10 Mobile.
    Addressed additional issues with multimedia, Windows kernel, Windows shell, enterprise security, storage file system, Remote Desktop, core platform, Hyper-V platform, Windows Update for Business, display kernel, near field communication (NFC), input and composition, Bluetooth, Microsoft Lync 2010 compatibility, Windows Storage API, app registration, Trusted Platform Module, Group Policy, Internet Explorer 11, virtual private network (VPN), BitLocker, wireless networking, datacenter networking, Cortana, PowerShell, Active Directory, connection manager and data usage, Microsoft Edge, Windows Recovery Environment, file clustering, Universal Windows Platform (UWP) apps, audio playback settings, DShow Bridge, app compatibility, licensing, cloud infrastructure, domain name system (DNS) server, network controller, USB barcode reader, and Adobe Flash Player.

This Cumulative Update is the same for both PC and Mobile except that for PC, it includes an additional fix to improve the reliability of downloading games (like Forza Horizon 3) and game updates from the Windows Store.