GeForce 340.52 WHQL Driver Download & Discussion

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Cyris, Jul 29, 2014.

1. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 970 Gaming 4G
    I doubt very much NV is crippling anything, it just they had so much time on Kepler to improve, you run out over time .7xx brought out some improvements on how the card throttles, boost2 plus faster memory , compared to 6xx which is fixed temp/TDP .

The problem is they were stuck on 28nm so things stung out longer than should .
    I am sure NV and AMD would of loved to move to 20nm sooner than its turning out too .

2. squalles

squalles Master Guru

GPU:
    Galax GTX 1080 EXOC
    gk110... gpu of titan is released in tesla in same time than gtx 680... obviously drivers improves her too...

i donĀ“t acess more this forum (adrenaline) and the test is make in post about 337.50 release so is very hard to find it today because the date and is brazilian forum so is hard to you understand the posts too...

but honestly you never go accept this... well... forget it...

Last edited: Sep 8, 2014
  3. squalles

squalles Master Guru

GPU:
    Galax GTX 1080 EXOC
    the unique changes in 7xx series is target increased to 77c and later changed to 82c... so boost clocks is more increased... this is boost clock 2.0

and 7ghz memory for sure

nothing better in architecture or anything else

by the way
    i may set target manually to 82c if i want but no need because my card no exceed 6xx series target limit (70c is limit for 6xx series and my card no runs hotter than 67c so throttling problem no affect me)... and my memory runs is 7ghz too (default is 6.6ghz)

Last edited: Sep 8, 2014
  4. Lucifer

Lucifer Master Guru

GPU:
    Colorful GTX 1060
    337.50 is meant for reducing cpu overhead, when I first tried it with my (ex) 660SLI, the impact it makes in cpu bound game is huge.

5. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    I am hearing...well reading mutterings that NVIDIA are intentionally holding back the new r343 driver for the new Maxwell cards like they did with the last driver which was delayed three weeks to release with the SHIELD tablet.

I hope that is not true but it does seem like a long time since the v340.52 WHQL were released and we were told that a beta would follow. While we have had several driver releases since they have been OpenGL 4.5 developer, iCafe and Quadro drivers and not betas intended for my card. They also all still cause Dead Rising 3 to crash after 15 minutes.

ManuelG on the GeForce.com forum has filed a bug report for the game but how many weeks/months is it going to be before the fix works its way into the Windows 8/8.1 driver? Yeah, yeah, we can use an older r335 and r337 driver in the meantime but this is the first time I've had to revert to an old driver to play a game and, obviously, I will be missing out of fixes/optimisations for newer games that are including in the r340 drivers.

I'm not sure who fault is it, whether its the developer for not testing the game on newer drivers or NVIDIA for being slow to support Dead Rising 3 but personally I'm inclined to blame both. NVIDIA seem to be far too distracted with SHIELD and the new Maxwell cards these days and the driver support seems to be slipping for new games.

6. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 970 Gaming 4G
    9 times out of 10 its the Dev fault , if they coded it right it should run out of box w/o issues .
    Unless there a bug in driver but that would affect all games in similar conditions . What happens or should is during development the game Dev should contact NV for any issues they can't work out and between them it gets fixed "before" game released .
    Thing is if your small dev then your might not get fastest response in fixing things up .
    On 343 drivers it will probably get released at launch , though they could release a beta, there probably working till the end to get as much polished up and have it ready for 980 .

7. RdJokr

RdJokr Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 750 Ti TF / 2GB
    Personally, I'd say blame both. NVIDIA seems too keen on holding back drivers just to launch it with new hardware (I mean really, what's the harm of releasing the drivers earlier for older users?), and a lot of AAA developers are ****ing up optimization lately (still looking at you, Ubisoft).

Still can't believe Capcom actually suggested rolling back to old drivers just to play their damn game. I'm still waiting for a damn patch, because for some reasons, this game has really lousy framerates in the cutscenes. During gameplay, it's all smooth 30 FPS, but when it goes to cutscenes, drops to 20-something. Unacceptable.

8. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Those 343 drivers had better be spectacular on Fermi and Kepler if they're making us wait for the new Maxwells. Dunno what's the point of making us wait. Someone will dig around and find out the names of the new cards or specs a few days earlier? Oh noes.

9. jwb1

jwb1 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 2080 Ti
    It looks like to me Dead Rising 3 is crashing more on Win 8/8.1 systems. The only crash I've had consistently is upon exiting the game. I'm using Win 7.

I doubt nVidia are "Holding back" the new driver. Normally when a new product launches they release its own driver for it and a normal one for every other product.

10. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    Yes, that does seem to be true from what I've been reading. People *are* playing Dead Rising 3 with the 340.xx drivers...TotalBiscuit for example...but they seem to be all using Windows 7.

By the way, are you sure the game is crashing when you quit because on my system it does look as if the game has hung when I select Quit but if I wait 2-3 minutes then it does eventually exit to the desktop! Why the game takes that length of time to exit, I do not know!

11. Yecnot

Yecnot Master Guru

GPU:
    R9 270 2GB
    343.91 is already finished, so we know they are holding it back. You don't release benchmarks on a half-finished driver.

12. SLI-756

SLI-756 Banned

GPU:
    760 SLI 4gb 1215/ 6800
    no-one here knows jack, except the NVidia reps, and prolly Hilbert who's at this minute running bf4 with his dual 980s, i kid you not. :D

13. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Galax 3080 SC
    Honestly i a bit disappointed of nvidia, for the first time in years. we really need a driver ASAP, specially for DS3, also a patch for DS3. but from benchmarks NVIDIA need to have a driver for that game that increase perf and stability.

14. SLI-756

SLI-756 Banned

GPU:
    760 SLI 4gb 1215/ 6800
    watch dogs is running incredible with icafe so they prolly been busy with that.
    just sayin is all, i'm getting the 75fps feel in that game now.

15. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 970 Gaming 4G
    Why do you guys always think its driver thing , most times its the game itself, yes sometimes the driver can make workaround but truth is games get rushed out the door w/o all bugs fixed .
    If game is really rushed you need at least 1 or 2 game patches and driver update to get it running ok .

16. GhostXL

GhostXL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Merc 319 6800 XT
    Yup, Watchdogs is finally fixed since the last ubi-patch and 340.52/72 drivers.

17. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    That's great news...shame I cannot use any of the 340.xx drivers since I'm playing Dead Rising 3 and that crashes every 15 minutes unless you use the older 335.xx or 337.xx drivers.

Very poor show from NVIDIA. I'm thinking seriously of switching to AMD for my next card, particularly as all the current gen consoles are using AMD GPUs. There doesn't seem to be much incentive to stay with NVIDIA these days...PhysX was a flop and performs poorly in most games I've played that support it (I can count all of those on the fingers of two hands and still have some spare!!!) and the AA flags are becoming redundant now the majority of games are running on DirectX 11. Stuff like 3D and G-Sync doesn't interest me either nor does SHIELD so there really is no reason for me to buy a new NVIDIA card if AMD can make a faster and cheaper alternative with more VRAM.

18. squalles

squalles Master Guru

GPU:
    Galax GTX 1080 EXOC
    yes... i go to amd/ati in next card for the first time... since 3dfx i always used nvidia because good support and improvements... now amd is very better... just see dead rising 3... sniper elite 3... bf4... thief and others... amd make 4 drivers since the last from nvidia... is very better support now no doubt...

19. GhostXL

GhostXL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Merc 319 6800 XT
    Well, I'm not a big fan of timed games like the Dead Rising series, so I don't have the worry about that, and I can't determine if I'd have the same issue. I think you would run into the same problems on AMD's side though. They seem to be having the same issues with different games also. One driver works, the other doesn't.

20. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3080 Strix H20
    Oh lord..

this 1 game is the only game ive had any issues with this year. Its not NVs fault it runs like sh1t or crashes, nor is it AMDs fault(yes i have a htpc system with a 260x, it has random crashes as well). Reverting to older drivers isnt a workaround or a fix, many more issues crop up.

Also if you think AMD is any better, you will be disappointed. My htpc cant play ANY DX9 games without extreme artifacts, a common issue they have yet to fix. AMD likes to update for new games, but f8ck any of the older games.