Geekbench score: Intel Core i9-12900K outperforms the AMD Ryzen 9 5950X.

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Aug 27, 2021.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    DannyD likes this.
  2. AlmondMan

AlmondMan Maha Guru

GPU:
    7900 XT Reference
    Interesting! Looking forward to seeing what the future brings in the CPU efficiency area for Intel :)

3. mackintosh

mackintosh Maha Guru

GPU:
    Now this is impressive and the kind of news and performance we’ve been waiting for. Let’s hope it pans out.

4. kanenas

kanenas Master Guru

GPU:
    6900xt,7800xt.

5. kanenas

kanenas Master Guru

GPU:
    6900xt,7800xt.
    seems to have possibilities in multitasking but in single thread it looks like rocket lake

6. Maddness

Maddness Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080 Aorus Xtreme
    I know it's more than likely best case scenario, but it's impressive nonetheless. Now we just need some leaked Zen 4 benchmarks.

7. kakiharaFRS

kakiharaFRS Master Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 RTX 3090
    current 5950x AND 9900k owner here
    on a 3090 an overclocked 9900k still beats AMD, it's just not as smooth, still has some fps drops and stutter after HEAVY tweaking (that almost nobody does like cpu affinity) when on intel "it just works"
    the no1 reason for me to switch to AMD was pcie 4.0 lanes
    looking forward to see how they place in benchmarks if they are all on top again in high fps 1080p then we'll be back to ryzen 3000 era

Noisiv likes this.
  8. mackintosh

mackintosh Maha Guru

GPU:
    Yep, and that's where Intel was severely lacking and lagging. When you're playing catch-up, this is a particularly good result. They have a chip that now appears to outperform the top CPU in multithreading in this segment. I mean what more do we want from a first-generation new arch? Double the performance of 5950X? Let's be realistic. I'm happy with this. Assuming this wasn't run on LN2, for a stock CPU it's a great result that puts Intel back in the lead.

kanenas likes this.
  9. DannyD

DannyD Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 2060
    When are these puppies out then anyone?

10. Moonbogg

Moonbogg Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti@2.1GHz
    Wonder if there's much point getting an Alderlake from my 10700K for gaming and VR?

11. mackintosh

mackintosh Maha Guru

GPU:
    There's no point in upgrading any recent CPU for gaming only applications.

Kaleid likes this.
  12. DannyD

DannyD Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 2060
    For sure not, i've same cpu bit i've nerfed mine and i like it that way, 4.2ghz with a tiny noctua fan.
    ticks over at 20w.
    I'm ready for 12500k tho if out soon or a 11th gen i3 either would be fine for me right now.

13. Venix

Venix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4070 super
    anyone with a 9900k has absolutely no reason to look at any ryzen 8core or intel 10xxx and 11xxx the investment to the potential gains if any is just not worth it !
    I would argue farther that pcix 4 was a nice to have thing but to this day kinda useless ... i guess up to double sequencials on nvme ssds .
    The only reason i can see anyone switching from a 9900 to a ryzen will be to something like 5950x if he does work that can use as many cores as you have and time in those cases is money only then i can see a good reason to change a chip like the 9900k , and again in this case if indeed a 5950x can justify it's cost because you will get your money back from the work the cpu does ... there is a high chance a threadryper 3970 x would have been also a good buy .

14. mackintosh

mackintosh Maha Guru

GPU:
    Like I said - there's no need to upgrade any recent gen CPU, if all you do is play games and use office apps. Absolutely none. Maybe if you're into streaming and competitive gaming, then yes, I suppose every frame counts. As a hobby though? No. None. Please do not talk yourself into an upgrade. You do not need a new CPU. A GPU - definitely. A CPU? No. Noooo. Nooooooo.

15. LEEc337

LEEc337 Member Guru

GPU:
    Team Green 960
    How much of this performance increase is down to the ddr5 it's using... It's still a good result for Intel though

16. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    So, the guys at Intel only know about Geekbench? No other stuff to show?

Seems suspicious...

17. IceVip

IceVip Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Liquid X
    How does this bench make sense though. If the rumors are correct about the core/thread count,
    then 8 fast, 8 medium and 8 slow cannot sum up a score higher than amd's 16 fast and 16 slow if
    the single-core bench of the 'fast' intel ones is to be believed. The single-thread must doing at least 2300
    to be able to have a shot at beating the 32 thread amd at multicore..

18. asturur

asturur Maha Guru

GPU:
    Geforce Gtx 1080TI
    How is this impressive? is 3%+ with flagship amd, 32threads vs 24threads, one year later.
    Can you define the impressive?
    What does impress you here?

Maybe if they would have enabled HT on the 8 fast cores we would have had a bigger jump

19. mackintosh

mackintosh Maha Guru

GPU:
    It's impressive considering where Intel was with multithreading in this segment just a couple of years ago. If the retail 12900K delivers on these numbers they will once again have the top performing CPU. I don't know what people were expecting, but to me that is a very good result.

20. Martin5000

Martin5000 Master Guru

GPU:
    8 gig
    but compare power usage.