Geekbench results for Raven Ridge 2500U

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Sep 14, 2017.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Probably the one entity where most results leak from Geekbench, and guess what. Raven Ridge Geekbench scores have just surfaced. It invokes the AMD Ryzen 5 2500U with Radeon Vega Graphics @ 2.00 GHz...

Geekbench results for Raven Ridge 2500U

2. Yogi

Yogi Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 290X Vapour X
    Looks a bit lacklustre at the moment hopefully they can get things going a bit quicker before release.

I was kinda hoping they'd integrate HBM into the chip and go after the NUC market.

3. Jagman

Jagman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    8GB RX480 Red Devil
  4. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    You do know this is a mobile chip with 8 threads, right? Considering it's called a Ryzen 5, that leads me to believe AMD intends to release something more powerful. Right now the closest competitor to the 2500U would be the i7-8650U. The Geekbench scores for that are 4432, 11963 (single, multi respectively). Though the 8650U has a 1.9 base clock, a configurable TDP clock of 2.1GHz, and a whopping turbo of 4.2GHz. Even if the heatsink on the tested platform is crap, having more than double the frequency for even just one or two seconds could make the difference for such a significant score improvement.

I'd say the 2500U seems to be pretty decent so far.

5. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti @ 2126/6156 H2O
    Not bad :) , my old FM1 llano htpc platform needs an update and this look like it will be the replacement , x370 mini itx here i come ...

6. SweenJM

SweenJM New Member

GPU:
    sapphire 390x nitro
    Very interested to see a laptop based on zen apu.

7. heffeque

heffeque Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PC died;RR w/ 3D 55LF652V
    I really really wanted Raven Ridge to be available for winter solstice vacations and not Q1.

Glad to see great results though.

8. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    Nvidia Geforce GTX 960M
    Man that's a low clocked rate for the cpu cores. I'm interested in seeing gpu performance of the APU cores.

9. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    For a mobile CPU, 2GHz is a reasonable base clock. I'm guessing the XFR speeds will be higher.

10. Yogi

Yogi Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 290X Vapour X
    Okay, I assumed it was a desktop chip.

11. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Master Guru

GPU:
    2 x Radeon RX 580
    I'll wait for some real benchmark numbers - I never trust Geekbench.

12. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Um, 4 cores, 8 threads, at 2.0Ghz.

What exactly is "lackluster" in the performance coming from that?

That's right, nothing.

13. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Fury X - XL2420T(Z)@144Hz
    It is OK performance. Should be noted, that Geekbench is not able to read actual clock in most cases.
    Looking at ST vs MT, ST score is either with clock boost or MT without. With geekbench 1st few results are just shots in the dark. One needs dozens to properly understand what to expect from chip.
    Anyway, I am more interested in those 11CU in Vega GPU. And apparently I expect them to tick ~1,2GHz. I expect double graphical performance than Carrizo delivered.

14. Turanis

Turanis Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX500
    With 8mb L3 cache and 3.0 GHz the Raven Ridge will be better.
    But for laptops could be enough this low specs,but not for long run.

15. Amx85

Amx85 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI R7-260X2GD5/OC
    People check for BIOS updates, new AGESA on the air 1.0.0.6b (saw on MSI website on some Motherboards)

16. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    I have a Biostar board - I'll be lucky if I get another update by the time AM4 APUs are released.

17. msroadkill612

msroadkill612 Member

GPU:
    igp
    Latency increases radically for intercore links between cores on separate ccxS on the zeppelin die.

If thats relevant to clocks, RR is unique in only containing a single ccx, and possibly is a very superior clocker to what we expect of zen.

We know it has a very fixed ceiling around 4k, but a single ccx processor hasnt been tried before.

Are these really leaks? is there a pattern to them? - do they tend to precede the real thing by a ~predictable period.

Afaik, amd has said that a laptop rr is first, and thats on shelves for xmas. I have seen nothing that indicates they are behind schedule. Thats a big release and they may need a few months to focus on that before desktop RR.

I think they would like to asap, offer some more muscular desktop apuS on a TR~ socket mobo (notice they come with currently superfluous graphics ports), which may see them revert to using stock zeppelin die mixed with a new vega die.on the mcm. There is of course double bandwidth 4 channel memory on TR, a boon for an apu.

They dont have to be cheap. Quite the opposite. They will be premium workstations offering advantages the others cant match.

in c/gpu server farms, apuS offer a fresh approach. Linking self sufficient cpu/gpu apu nodes vs linking discreet gpu cards with discrete cpuS over a bus now.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2017
  18. ro.edi

ro.edi New Member

GPU:
    HD Graphics 505
  19. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    Unless you're comparing to price (which we can't do yet since we don't know how much the 2500U costs) the 7500 is not a good CPU to compare to, since it has half the cores/threads.

20. heffeque

heffeque Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PC died;RR w/ 3D 55LF652V