Gears of War Ultimate Edition PC DirectX 12 Confirmed

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Stone Gargoyle, Jun 17, 2015.

1. Seaclean

Seaclean Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 4GB Gaming
    "More recent versions of Unreal Engine 3, and even UE4, were considered early in development, but the decision to stick with the original codebase was made in order to preserve the original simulation.*"

All I read from this is "how can we make the most money from the least amount of effort?"

The only acceptable excuse for using UE3 IMO would've been if they opted for the latest version (the one used in arkham knight )

2. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    What is used in Arkham Knight... isn't the "latest version". It's a heavily modified version of UE3 used by Rocksteady specifically for the Batman games.

It's base code differs incredibly from the most up to date version of UE3, and differs even more so from how Gears uses the engine.

Honestly, porting the game to the latest builds of UE3 would've saved them time, and would've been an easier job then what they actually did.
    Reworking and updating the original code from the first Gears was a pretty big undertaking... and not something that would save them money.

3. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800 "Vanilla"

Actually the build used in Arkham Knight while very recent isn't the newest one but it's customized heavily.

Although for a really old build Mortal Kombat X uses a version number from around early 2010 whereas Arkham Knight is from early 2014 - late 2013 somewhere.

Newest UE3 build so far was used in Life is Strange although the differences are usually fairly minor as focus is likely on UE4 now.

A guy called Gildor has a viewer for Unreal Engine and a compatibility table that when possible lists the specific UE3 and UE4 build used. :)
    http://www.gildor.org/projects/umodel/compat
    (Thief and Mortal Kombat X stand out a bit for using older builds though both are customized further by the development team.)

(Bioshock Infinite is also using a older build and Mortal Kombat 9 on PC if you go just by build number is very old but again in-house additions and tweaks to further customize the engine makes up for it so build number alone might not mean that much depending on how tweaked that particular UE3.x game is.)

Last edited: Feb 24, 2016
  4. Seaclean

Seaclean Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 4GB Gaming
    Fair enough. But seeing how it looks on xbox one, I gotta agree with the majority of guys saying it looks underwhelming... seeing the game resemble the original so much you gotta ask if a remaster really was necessary in favor of a collection ala the master chief one.

5. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800 "Vanilla"
    I think the console version got a bundle like that which included the first three games (Though only the first one was updated.) but on PC we're just getting Gears 1 and if the rumors are true Gears of War 4 might end up on PC via Windows 10 store as well later on.
    (The guy on DeadEndThrills has some screenshots from a PC version of Gears 3 but it's not a version of the game that is going to be released. - http://deadendthrills.com/gallery/?gid=32 )

Last edited: Feb 24, 2016
  6. Kono

Kono Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2070 / 8GB
    If this required Microsoft Store to play, will definitely skip. Won't buy this if I can't play on other clients. Honestly, who want game with force vsync? forced borderlesswindow? no achievement? I wonder if that's the reason why the requirement is so extreme, considering how the xbone version does not look like it can even compete with Crysis 3 PC.

7. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    Of course the remaster wasn't necessary.
    But, it's a solid marketing move on Microsoft's part to build up interest in the series again before they really move into Gears 4 marketing.

It's an odd move to not make a package that brings the entire Gears library to the Xbone (and, afterwards, the PC)... but, whatever.
    Personally, I'm glad the game resembles the first one. It should. It's a remaster of the first game, not a remake or re-imaginging.

It's just the first game, updated for better hardware.
    It looks good. I don't see why anyone would've been expecting anything beyond this.
    They never advertised it as some top end graphical enhancement. Just an update to bring it up closer to later Gears titles, and bridge the gap before Gears 4.
    Which, Gears 4 seems to be were they want the graphical showcase to be.

But, at least now the first Gears looks like it fits along side Gears 2 and 3. Which are still... great looking titles.

8. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    I do.

9. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Awfully high requirements + windows store exclusive. Meh.

10. Seketh

Seketh Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    You can disable v-sync (using Nvidia Control Panel) and you have Xbox achievements.

Still would like to see tests of Windows 10 borderless mode, if it has a significant impact or not.

11. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RX 470 Strix
    I wonder if Microsoft will ship the game again so it stops working past a certain date?

Just found this out.... needs to update the game to make it work... or change the computers clock to before December 28, 2009...

:U

Last edited: Mar 1, 2016
  12. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    Yeah, that's been known about for a loooooooong time.
    Long enough that Epic patched it.

It's really not an issue anymore.
    I reinstalled my original PC release of Gears a few months back. Patched it up, and played it. All was good.

13. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RX 470 Strix
    I haven't played GOW since I had Vista installed haha.. First my dvd was giving me read errors when trying to install it, so I made an iso of the disc to make sure every bit was there, then once it was installed it was telling me to reinstall the game because of modified executable code... so I did re-install it again... *headbutts desk*

Then after that I learned there is an update that fixes the problem that you have to download manually........

arghhdsfshdisdg

Ahhh yes the wonderous fun of Games for Windows Live...

Ohh well it's working now~

I don't remember the game being this dark... is it just my pc or is this how it's meant to look?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    I do not have new version, but I remember original quite well. And missions outside were played in sunny day.
    Those screenshots feel like there is Batman's Dark Blue Filter over it. And it is source of huge information loss as areas are completely black.

15. Havel

Havel Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 580

16. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    That's... pretty damn funny. They just slip it out the door with no big announcement.

17. Andrewtst

Andrewtst Master Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3080
    The games is 52.8 GB! wow!

I just purchase, I am happy see the price it give for Malaysia.

It is USD $ 29.90 which after convert is RM 124.40 but it is listed as RM 55 at Malaysia Windows Store. :D :D :D

[​IMG]

18. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1080 Mini
    £22.79 on the UK store, man i am so tempted that that price.

And i see you can use money sitting on your xbox account as well, i have £3.60 sitting on my original xbox 360 account and it just should up towards the price.

Plus online requires a silver xbox live account, so online is basically free on the PC version, as we thought.

19. kx11

kx11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090
    DL speed is so low

20. romul

romul Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2070 Super
    is it possible to buy cd keys for windows store games?
    :3eyes: