Gears of War Ultimate Edition PC DirectX 12 Confirmed

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Stone Gargoyle, Jun 17, 2015.

1. cerebus23

cerebus23 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    Yawn gears of bore the game that ushered in the wall hugging cover regen health system hoped it would stay dead. Guess it did not. hated the games first time through nothing to see here.

2. Redemption80

Redemption80 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Yeah, i found the first game really dull when i first played it on the PC, revisited it again a few years later and pretty much the same.

Maybe third time luck with this "remastered" version, but would have to be cheap for me to take a chance and don't see that been close to likely.
    It also suggest i need to throw in some extra ram, something i'm avoiding doing until the next CPU/Board upgrade.

The second game was alot better though, that i would be tempted to buy if MS released it on the PC.

3. kx11

kx11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090
  4. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    Most of the cutscenes in the new version are pre-rendered FMV at 1080p unlike the original which used real-time cinematics. It caught me out at first when I first saw footage from the game because the cutscenes are where the game looks noticeably improved but, of course, it would if it is 'cheating' and using video sequences in place of actual rendered footage. As such I can't help but think this game is a step-backwards, especially as we now have hardware that is more than capable of delivering CGI-quality cinematics as seen in games such as Rise of the Tomb Raider. :wanker:

5. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    Sisisisisixty gigabytes?!? How is that even possible?

6. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti OC
    Is it a U4E port or what? Last time I saw some screens it looked kinda lame, just with extra more brighten areas and to need a 970GTX for that ? nvm those 4K requirements :grin:

7. SerotoNiN

SerotoNiN Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2080
    It makes sense. If you have your own digital distribution service, why would you put it on someone else's and let them take a cut? EA does the same thing.

Furthermore, who cares where it comes from? Buy it and play it, the end.

8. SerotoNiN

SerotoNiN Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2080
    It's either horribly optimized or terribly safe hardware requirements because the game doesn't look good at all.

I wonder what good dx12 being implemented did. It didn't make it look better and this supposed low level api, judging by the requirements sure isn't making it run better lol.

I'm still waiting to hear an official release date. The xbox one version has been out for 5 or 6 months now?

9. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    No.
    It's a complete remake of the first game. An HD remaster of all assets.
    Sound, texture work, models... the cutscenes were remade in engine this time.

10. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    The cutscenes were realtime in the original Xbox 360 and PC versions but are FMV in this new 'improved' version as covered in this Digital Foundry analysis of the Xbox One version here: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2015-vs-gears-of-war-ultimate-edition

It may be different on PC but if the game really is 60 GB in size then I suspect that is due to the FMV, which may even include 4K versions?

11. kx11

kx11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090
    nah , i think audio files are taking a lot of those 60GB

a 4k video can take minimum of 700mb per minute

12. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    Yeah, I've seen the comparisons.
    But, in the first Gears of War, while rendered in engine... there was a very noticeable drop in visual quality in a LOT of the cutscenes. Not all, a lot were done real time and looked just like the game... but...

Others, like the one were Kim is killed by Raam.
    The shift in visual quality is huge and horrible looking and It's obviously a pre-recorded cutscene.

But, the bulk of the size with this Gears release, most likely audio files as said above.

13. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti OC
  14. Whiplashwang

Whiplashwang Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090 FE
    Yeah, it makes sense, but it's still annoying! Just more and more digital services that are mediocre like Origin and Uplay. And if the service fails or if Microsoft doesn't attain the sales they want, they'll drop the service or to the very least stop providing updates like they did with GFWL. At least EA made an effort to help people adopt Origin. I contacted them with my retail keys and was able to add games like Crysis and Dead Space to Origin. What Microsoft should be doing right now is converting all remaining games that still use GFWL over to Windows 10 Xbox Live to help people adopt it easier.

Also what about all the games people purchased through GFWL that can't be access now? I'd like to play Fable III again with all the DLC but can't due to them gutting GFWL! I'm fine with multiple digital services as long as they are GOOD!! Even after all these years, Uplay and Origin still don't let you backup your games for Christ sake! Compared to Steam all these other digital services are just ****ty and judging from how much effort Microsoft has put into PC Gaming and their previous digital service, GFWL, I don't expect the Microsoft Store to be much better. I'll give it a chance, but to earn my trust Microsoft has to do something about the games they broke to a certain degree when they disabled GFWL.

15. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800 "Vanilla"
    Engine wise it's actually using the same engine as the original game did back then (A early UE3 build) which has since been updated for this remaster, was hoping for a UE4 update as well but they choose to update the existing codebase instead.

From the article Darren linked to. :)
    (The EuroGamer Digital Foundry comparison.)

16. Redemption80

Redemption80 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    After GFWL MS can hardly blame anyone for being very cynical.
    It felt like it was run by a single employee, no software updates and a barren store.
    MS also left it up to the individual publishers to continue support when they killed it off.

I do like the idea of more DD services though, just not unstable ones.
    Actually think Origin is the best of the three, it does everything I need without any of the bloat.

Can't see that many people buying this game anyway, remasters fare worse on the PC when we already have high resolutions and framerates.

Doesn't help that the game itself is considered mediocre by most people, or have new gameplay tweaks made a difference?

Last edited: Feb 24, 2016
  17. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVidia Titan Xp
    I love Gears of War so I'm definitely picking it up. I still have my original copy in fact :)

I was also super pissed that the rest of the series never made it to PC :mad:

18. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1080 Mini
    Well either MS are being overly cautious with those specs, and the game will look great and run fantastic, and we will all be blown away and eat humble pie, and hail it as a great start to the W10/Xbox exclusive family, or, it will run like a one legged dog and we will all wonder if this is the way all xbox/W10 cross platform games will be like.

I await it's release with baited breath.

19. nanogenesis

nanogenesis Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI R9 390X 1178|6350
    We are currently undergoing a GFWL phase again. I wasn't much of an active gamer back in the GFWL era, infact I got back into gaming when GFWL was dead and a cancer which I had to crack from the games I had.

Again, round 2, blame pc piracy, other things, except the problems their own store/drm "limitations" (running as apps or something) cause.

Well, the good thing is, after GFWL 2.0 is dead again, I'll happily pick up all the games in a pawn shop in 2-3 year's time. Plenty of other things to keep me interested.

20. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    I'll probably grab this, in hopes it does well enough that they'll bring the other Gears of War titles to PC as well.

Gears 2 is the best in the series, and one that should've been brought to PC a long time ago.