Gears of War Ultimate Edition PC DirectX 12 Confirmed

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Stone Gargoyle, Jun 17, 2015.

1. Stone Gargoyle

Stone Gargoyle Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060 G1
    I know we'd all welcome Sunset on Win 10 and I'm still of the mind that once MCC leaves the shadow of its technical issues far far behind I still believe we could see it come to the PC, eventually. Once Halo 5 releases MCC will be fair game I reckon.

Fact is Microsoft will be in a position to tease not just XO owners but now also PC owners so if anything I'm pretty excited as to just what they may have brewing for us all over the next 12 months and beyond.

2. Stone Gargoyle

Stone Gargoyle Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060 G1
    vg 247

http://www.destructoid.com/review-gears-of-war-ultimate-edition-306974.phtml

3. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Now, this is only a minor complaint, as its not like (imo) the characters of this series are anything to write home about, but..

The characters in cutscenes have had all character removed from their faces and overall animation from head to toe. They're stiff, bland and dead looking and at times, it looks like some bad soap (what kinda of a name is soap anyway, ffs:3eyes:) opera during the more dramatic scenes. The original, while not as visually pleasing by todays standards, looks better in that regards.

They completely butchered the cutscenes. Yes, better gfx, but go look at that comparison video of the cutscene where SPOILER SPOILER that bald Asian squad leader gets a sword pushed through him by the general locust dude (see, just no memorable characters).

Other than that, the latest video of mp on X1 actually had me doing a double take and blinking a few times once i hit play. Looks like one hell of a remake.

But, i've played this game so many times i can damn near draw every level off the top of my head. So it'll be a pass from me, i dont even feel the need to wait for a sale, since imo, gears gameplay is just so stale and its aged almost worse than the gfx of the original.

4. Redemption80

Redemption80 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    I've noticed that myself, and while it's something i myself find unimportant i can see why it annoy fans.

I've only ever played this game once as i really found it quite boring, but i'm willing to give it another go since it's slightly new and shinier, and maybe some of the gameplay changes will help as well.

5. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    I do find it odd however, that Epics no1 selling IP, the one that actually made them relevant on consoles and of which changed the gaming industry through its mechanics, would end up spending all this time, effort and money to remake this simply using an upgraded version of the engine it was already built on. Why not UE4? An engine that supposedly vastly superior in every way.

I cant help but think UE4 isnt going to be all its cracked up to be.

And going by the images that were released before the original launch, this was how the game was suppose to look on the 360.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2015
  6. umeng2002

umeng2002 Maha Guru

GPU:
    I can see why these remasters need DX12. I believe Naughty Dog HAD to use asynchronous shaders to get The Last of Us and Uncharted to run well on the 1.6 GHz CPU in the PS4. So, once all that difficult work was done to the engine, they just picked dx12 instead of "backporting" it to dx11 just for the PC.

7. anxious_f0x

anxious_f0x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 3090 FE
    Epic isn't involved with the Gears Of War franchise anymore, they sold the IP to Microsoft last year I believe. I'm not worried about UE4 at all, it's already looking good in the Unreal Tournament Pre Alpha and it runs better than most so called finished games that get released these days.

Porting an entire game from one engine to another is a massive undertaking, far easier to just pretty it up using the engine it was built on.

I already had the PC version of the original Gears Of War and honestly can't see me buying it again, it really is a play it once then move on kind of game, no reason to go through the campaign multiple times.

8. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    i didnt know MS bought it off Epic. Learn something new every day:p

Im looking forward to UT4. Been waaay to long.

On porting: For sure.

And, yeah. I was burnt out on the campaign the first time round. Its like hearing a song youve simply listened to far too many times. Next! Next! Next!

9. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    Yeah, Epic no longer has the Gears IP. Hasn't for a little while now. And, People Can Fly are no longer owned by Epic, and they also own the BulletStorm IP.

Epic pretty much just has Unreal these days.

I also don't see the need to port the game to UE4. As said above, it would be a massive undertaking. Specially since the Ultimate Edition already looks incredible.
    Hell, I replayed Gears 2 and 3 a few months back, and even for 360 titles they both look great.
    This Ultimate Edition basically brings the first game up to and a bit past Gears 3 visually. And that's more then good enough.

10. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    I assumed it was all epic still handling the gears ip. Thats the only reason i was curious as to why it was just a UE3.x build.

It certainly does look great and if id not of know any better, if someone had said it was UE4, i might of been convinced.

That campaign though....urghh, its like doing housework...

I remember the first time i installed the original on PC. It took something like 6 hours to unpack.

11. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    Yeah, installing the original PC release is a pain in the ass. Horribly slow.

Epic sold the Gears IP to Microsoft in January of 2014. MS then hired studio, The Coalition (originally Black Tusk Studios), to develop Gears of War 4. They are also the ones handling the Gears of War: Ultimate Edition.

12. anxious_f0x

anxious_f0x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 3090 FE
    I can imagine there were some silly amounts of money being thrown at Epic to make them part with the Gears franchise, now all they really have is Unreal Tournament and Fortnight, both of which will be free games.

Epic is investing heavily into building its own marketplace with Unreal Tournament for maps, mods and cosmetic items that creators can choose to charge for if they want too, Epic takes a slice of their profit, it's almost Valve like.

Then there's the money they make off of licensing the Unreal Engine to other developers, seems they can really afford to just do what they want these days which is resulting in the next Unreal Tournament looking like a real treat for fans of the game, especially now they're not to tied down by any big publishers.

Now if MS remastered all 3 Gears games and launched them together in one pack I may of been tempted, but to just get Gears of War is a bit underwhelming.

13. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Yeah, im not sure why they felt that the first was even worth the effort, its not like no one played it last gen. Nearly everyone i know that was straight PS3 even played it and those people are PS4 this gen as nothing entices them to get an x1.

I can understand the X1 getting the backwards compatibility for the series. But the remaking of the first is such a weird move. Like, gears pretty much saturated the market last gen and its influence on other games. Its not like the industry or gamers are starved for this sort of thing.

Such an odd choice.

14. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    With Gears 4 coming to Xbox One, it's most likely a move to keep the entire series playable on a single system.
    Yes, they could've just stuck with the backwards compatibility. But, Gears is one of their flagship properties, like HALO.

It's not enough to just make them playable on the new system, they probably feel they need to make them better.

Also, this Xbox One release features the added chapters that were originally exclusive to the PC release. This is the first time console players will be able to experience that section.

I don't find it odd. It's Microsoft taking steps to make sure it's top franchises are available in the best ways.
    No different then SONY bringing the Uncharted series to PS4, or when they brought the previous God of War games to PS3.
    Since a lot of players sell off their older systems when they move to newer ones, this maintains that they will have access to these series in the best condition possible.

15. Megabiv

Megabiv Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX980Ti SLI (h²o)
    Also those who never played it on the last system, for instance I had sold my PS2 back when FFX was released and never went back to buy another just for it. Having the chance to play it on PS4 is great even if it's not much of a looker anymore.

Same thing applies here, im sure there are those who never played the GoW series or perhaps the first (since the 2nd had a big multiplayer following at the time) on the X360 who see it and think "oh yeah I'll give that a go since i missed it".

16. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    Hopefully we see the rest of the series ported over at some point. Any news on a release date?

17. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800 "Vanilla"
    http://www.windowscentral.com/gears-war-ultimate-edition-appears-windows-10-store

What the hell did they pad the game with to make it 60 GB? :p

18. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1080 Mini
    16gig....for a port. lol

19. Whiplashwang

Whiplashwang Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090 FE
    I called it on page 2 last year. Another Windows 10 Store exclusive! Pretty much the future of all Microsoft PC ports from now on. This sucks!

20. MrH

MrH Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 Armour
    Will grab it for sure.