Gears of War Ultimate Edition PC DirectX 12 Confirmed

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Stone Gargoyle, Jun 17, 2015.

1. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    When a game releases on UE4 and doesn't suffer from performance issues and just being complete crap... then I'll agree.

But for now, in the right hands, UE3 is still a fantastic looking engine.

EDIT: Also, am I missing how DX12 will make the game more fun?

Last edited: Jun 20, 2015
  2. vejn

vejn Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 7870 TF3
    Will GOW4 be on PC?
    Why bother to release old game if they have new one on the way?

3. Adil0n

Adil0n Active Member

GPU:
    POV GTX 470 1Gb
    And yet I see those remasters as a silly thing, like "oh we're not selling enough on PC, lets do a redux\definitive\remaster\aniversary edition, and **** those who already bought the game, let them buy it again, they paid us a year ago!"
    But my point with this game is, that probably it'll become like Fable, who has played Fable 2 on PC? Nobody, and yet we have Fable, Fable Anniversary and Fable 3, and no word on the next one... This is what's happening with GoW, I really wish I'm mistaken and they really port every game to PC, I really wish it, but experience tells me that they do not care enough

4. Kezen

Kezen Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 FTW
    To generate hype and maybe gauge interest.

5. ai-man

ai-man Active Member

GPU:
    Asus 1080 Strix
    I don't trust Microsoft in regards to PC gaming. Always the same promises, why should it be any different now?

6. Stone Gargoyle

Stone Gargoyle Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060 G1
    I think the question should be more why shouldn't it be any different now.

This isn't the same Microsoft company who decided to unleash the hellish thing that was Games For Windows Live on us all back in 2007. Have a little faith perhaps?

7. ai-man

ai-man Active Member

GPU:
    Asus 1080 Strix
    They are exactly the same scumbags as before, offering us gems like xbox one streaming to our pc's and that amazing oculus vr demo (what a joke) they showed recently running on their console.

Smoke and mirrors and heaps of bull**** is what they're all about and until they do something worth talking about for PC gaming, I wont bother. Don't hold your breath.

8. Redemption80

Redemption80 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    The Xbox is always going to take priority, that will never change but it's better to play second fiddle than be completely ignored.

I'm more suspicious of how much they have actually done so far, not really sure what is in it for them.

9. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti OC
    Kind of, but imo its still looking a bit dated now compared to other "next-gen" stuff.

It would be "pleasant" to look at if nothing else. lol yeah I can be a gfx whoe :D

Now with same old improved U3E it also kills this visual wow effect, so you end up with slightly brighter GOW and that really isn't interesting anymore. Ok, only for very specific crowd.

10. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RX 470 Strix
    My thoughts exactly..

Microsoft's interests are to get subscribers for their Xbox Live service...

The reason they keep certain popular multiplayer games only on the xbox is due to this.

I hope I get to play Halo 3 in my life time... and 4... and Reach.... and ODST.. and now 5...

But, my hopes for that ever happening is very small.

11. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    It's all a matter of opinion really.
    Personally, I think that the new Killzone looks obnoxious. And, I haven't seen a single "next gen" game that's made me think "WOW I need to play this!" because of it's visuals.

I still feel that Mirror's Edge is a simply stunning game. And that's on UE3. It's the art direction. I feel it's a more striking and better looking experience then Crysis.

I can look at BulletStorm and Thief and believe those are gorgeous games.

I still maintain, it's not the engine. It's the team behind it.

12. Kezen

Kezen Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 FTW
    I'd say (for what it's worth) Halo the MCC has approximately 0% chance of hitting PC, not even exclusive to the W10 store. But maybe they are thinking of bringing some other exclusives like Sunset to Windows 10.

I would not say no to a Rise of the Tomb Raider announcement either. They have made it timed exclusive to the Xbox One, I can see them enticing them further to make it Windows 10 exclusive on PC.

13. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    Really, making something a Win10 exclusive isn't worth it.
    Specially since Win10 will be a free upgrade for damn near everyone.

They tried to make Alan Wake a Vista exclusive, before realizing they needed more exclusive titles on the 360, so they canned the PC version.
    Then they made HALO 2 Vista exclusive in an attempt to lure PC gamers to Vista. Only, for most players to learn... HALO 2 didn't use DX10. Was a half-assed port. And that Vista was not worth the price of admission.

With Win10 being a free upgrade, there's no reason to make a game exclusive to it... as you don't need to draw people to the new OS to increase sales.

14. Kezen

Kezen Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 FTW
    The impetus is to put their Windows 10 store on the map so to speak. They don't make money on Windows 10 copies sold but they do take their share of every piece of software sold through their store and that's where some big games exclusive to it comes in.
    If they want to challenge Steam Gears of War and the likes are needed.

15. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    Even if they make Gears exclusive to their store... it won't be enough to challenge Steam.
    EA made all the games they publish exclusive to Origin, that hasn't put even a dent in Steam's sales or user numbers.

And MS doesn't have nearly the PC gaming footprint to even match up to Origin...
    If MS really want to draw in the PC crowd, the goal should be to allow users to play how they want.
    Not force another exclusive gaming program on them.

16. Kezen

Kezen Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 FTW
    I don't think they will stop at Gears if they genuinely want to make a dent in the PC digital market. More "big" releases will be needed. I welcome this competition even if some will see it as "fragmentation".

I would have never imagined Gears would be back on PC. Killer Instinct was much more likely.

17. Kezen

Kezen Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 FTW
    I'm genuinely impressed by how good this looks for an Unreal 3 game :
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBo4civqLYs
    I love how they seem to take this remaster very seriously. I wish Sony did a true remake of GoW III instead of a 1080p/60fps port.

Not sure how the game could really benefit from DX12 though, I mean it should run really wel even with the old ass DX11.

18. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    I've no experience with GOW 3 re-release, but going by the ps3 version atleast, 1080p/60fps would be more than a decent enough bump (just like all of sonys last gen 1st party games). Was the ps4 port quite bad or something?

This remake does look much better than the original thats for sure. cheers for the link.

19. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    From what I've seen/read the GoW3 remaster for PS4... is pretty much just them up-scaling the game and having it run at 60fps instead of 30.
    They aren't touching up any textures, models... anything. Basically just porting it to the new console.

It's more of a disappointment instead of being a bad release. SONY talked a huge game up around it, and now that they are showing it... people are seeing it's basically the exact same thing they've already played.

Where as the Gears of War remaster (very much like the HALO and HALO 2 remasters) are actual remakes. Updates textures, models, improved lighting and details. Added cinematics...
    Microsoft knows how to do a remaster. While SONY just upscales previous releases.

20. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Thats just silly. GOD3 is probably the only game from last gen that doesnt need a texture upgrade and 30 fps would just make the game a sluggy mess compared to the ps3 version. I mean we're not talking 10+ year old games here. GOW3 and the rest of sonys exclusives are not from the ps2/ps1 gen. A total overhaul would be more effort than its worth.

As for MS and halo, Halo is in another league entirely compared to sonys first part games, so that extensive remaster was the bare minimum they could've gotten away with. Not only that, but they needed something to sell X1's and a straight port would've got them some serious flak.

It would seem gamers really dont know how much of a technical feat alot of last gen games were, let alone the difference betweena remake and a remaster. Especially gow3 and 4. If you want to now what it takes to port a game from the ps3 to the ps4 just to get playable fps, then i suggest they watch that video of what naughty dog had to do with uncharted at the early stages of porting to the ps4 just to get fps about 10.

I seriously fail to see how anyone could be disappointed here:

As that video clearly shows, there are plenty of texture upgrades.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2015