Gears of War Ultimate Edition. DX12 exclusive, requirements inside

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by PrMinisterGR, Feb 24, 2016.

1. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    It doesn't seem to be a VRAM issue. The NVIDIA 4GB cards would have had the same problems, as well as the 370. Seems to me like the game was released badly. The guy didn't provide any charts or anything (unless I missed them).

This is quite interesting. I wouldn't say it's not an issue, but it's interesting to see how they tackle it in the driver. Hand tuning is not very hopeful, I would prefer if there was an algorithmic solution in place. So, according to HardOCP, the Fury has no problem with the 4GB of HBM in Tomb Raider. Is that true?

PS: I'm probably biased, but seeing results lately I'm starting to believe that the most "uncompromised" design by AMD was GCN 1.0. I can't believe the performance of that 370.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2016
  2. Szaby59

Szaby59 Active Member

GPU:
    Sapphire RX Vega56
    The 370 was probably GPU limited for the whole time while the 290x and Fury got the stutters because of the low VRAM amount and the GPU could have been faster.

3. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    So it is a Tonga/Fiji issue then 380 is Tonga. I wonder what the issue is. Tbh the 4gb ram has not really been issue but the Tonga/Fiji cards have been having odd things in other games like in the new Tomb Raider where Nvidia 4gb cards maintained good min fps Tonga and Fiji suffered.

4. Szaby59

Szaby59 Active Member

GPU:
    Sapphire RX Vega56
    Different architecture, the nVidia GPU's compression or the driver's memory management could be more efficient that's why it can hold longer/with less stutters.

5. SimBy

SimBy Guest

GPU:
    R9 290
    http://www.forbes.com/sites/jasonev...-disaster-for-amd-radeon-gamers/#6bb83aed7e7e

https://gearsofwar.com/en-us/forums...es/9aa87281-98f1-4203-aed5-95ddb54420db/posts

Update 3/1/2016 8:38 am PDT: The Coalition Community Manager PezRadar has posted a forum update indicating that all AMD cards using GCN 1.1 and GCN 1.2 are suffering problems, stating that “AMD is an important partner bringing the promise of DirectX 12 to life for gamers everywhere. We are working closely with them [...]“

The developers also confirm my suspicion about Ambient Occlusion: “There are visual issues with AMD graphics cards and the Ambient Occlusion setting, it is strongly recommended to turn this setting OFF. We are readying a fix to be deployed in the coming days.”

Update 3/1/2016 8:55 am PDT: Though I cannot personally confirm this I’m beginning to hear reports that Nvidia’s 980 Ti is also exhibiting stuttering and hitching issues.

Yet another game released with zero QA. Batman all over again.

6. Szaby59

Szaby59 Active Member

GPU:
    Sapphire RX Vega56
    "GCN 1.1 and GCN 1.2 are suffering problems"

So basically every "current" AMD card. Still doesn't explain why the 390X had no issues according to the forbes article.

7. BoMbY

BoMbY Guest

GPU:
    Fury X
    Probably because the memory management of the game sucks, and it currently needs 8 GB to run smooth.

8. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
  9. BoMbY

BoMbY Guest

GPU:
    Fury X
    This guy had it not smooth, and 30 FPS, on his 980 Ti.

10. sTOrM41

sTOrM41 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 970 @ 1500 MHz
    looks like trash, runs like trash, good job ms.

11. isidore

isidore Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080TI GamingOC
    the game looks really old gen, definitely not going to get it.

12. Paulo Narciso

Paulo Narciso Guest

GPU:
    ASUS Strix GTX 1080 Ti
    A proof that DX12 won't do any miracles if the Dev behind the game sucks. This is even worse because microsoft is behind dx12 and gears of war :)

13. Turanis

Turanis Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX500
    M$ they do it with Windows Store and Xbone in mind.
    This game looks like a Xbone console game,mean ugly graphics.

They dont care for PC gaming & windows users.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2016