Gears of War 5

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by WhiteLightning, Jun 11, 2018.

1. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVidia Titan Xp
    Because her story in Gears 4 set up the main story arc for Gears 5 and likely Gears 6 as well.

2. jwb1

jwb1 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 2080 Ti
    But her character and story sucked....

3. Evileh

Evileh Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Duel OC 8
    If that was jd girlfriend, that wasn't really established beyond a comment from marcus in the late stage of the game.

4. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVidia Titan Xp

5. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1080 Mini
    Remember gamepass ultimate users on PC and Xbox get access to this game 4 days earlier starting tomorrow the 05/09/19.......whoohooo. :)

6. emperorsfist

emperorsfist Maha Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 1080 8Gb
    Careful, not automatically liking a girl protagonist may get you labelled a sexist in this day and age. ;)

SerotoNiN likes this.
  7. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVidia Titan Xp
    Well, I'm playing Gears 5. To start playing the game early, required that I become a citizen of the beautiful Pacific island of Kiribati :D :cool: In Kiribati right now, it's 22:11 so the game has already unlocked for them.

Right now I'm downloading the ultra texture pack which is a little over 3GB, so not very large. Unless it's coming in various portions or something.

SerotoNiN likes this.
  8. emperorsfist

emperorsfist Maha Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 1080 8Gb
    That seems oddly small...

9. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVidia Titan Xp
    Right now the game size is showing 62.8GB with the texture pack installed. It probably was just character textures perhaps.

10. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVidia Titan Xp
    My impressions so far are VERY positive. Even though I haven't played for very long, I'm enjoying the game immensely. No technical issues or bugs that I've noticed (using 436.15 drivers), and the game performs very well (above 60 FPS at all times) on my Titan Xp with everything set to ultra except dynamic shadows and volumetric fog which are both on insane at 1440p. I left reflections at ultra as the performance hit on insane is well....insane for very little IQ gain. Overall the image quality, detail and graphical effects are a noticeable step up compared to its predecessor.

One thing I'm REALLY loving though is the audio. Gears of War 4 had amazing audio, and Gears 5 has improved on it even more! If you have a good sound card and some nice headphones or a nice surround sound setup, you will not be disappointed I can promise you that! I'm using Sennheiser HD 598 headphones and a Soundblaster AE-5 and with surround turned on, I can easily tell from what direction I'm being attacked when surrounded.

Here are some screenshots I've taken so far:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

SerotoNiN likes this.

11. SerotoNiN

SerotoNiN Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2080
    Keep the screens coming @Carfax , might want to put spoilers on them though. I'm hoping to do Ultra details @ 4K. I don't need 60fps at all times. As long as it doesn't go below 30 I'm happy.

12. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVidia Titan Xp
    Good idea, I'll put spoiler tags around my future screenshots. You also shouldn't have a problem staying well above 30 FPS I'd wager. I'd say you're going to average around 60 FPS with some drops down into the 40s in heavy scenes.

As for the texture pack, it's definitely worth the download. I didn't take the screenshots, but a guy on resetera did and you can easily see the improvement going from high to ultra:

High:

[​IMG]

Ultra:

[​IMG]

13. Party Poison

Party Poison Maha Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 2080Ti
    It runs so well, Jesus christ im excited.

Gotta head back to work though so will be back on later, Did 1 escape with some randoms.

The build in battlepass system is nice too

14. The Janitor

The Janitor Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    So they just gonna drop this game on Steam on not 4?
    I mean I'm not gonna play a direct sequel without playing the one before it o_O

Windows store requires you to update your whole OS so I refuse to use it...

15. MarkyG

MarkyG Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2070 Super
    I skipped Gears 3 and 4. I'm assuming the story is a continuation? Will I miss out terribly if I just jump straight into Gears 5? Looks amazing. :)

16. Party Poison

Party Poison Maha Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 2080Ti

Then you lose out.

I refuse to pay the prices Lamborghini asks, Therefore I don't have one.

17. Party Poison

Party Poison Maha Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 2080Ti

4 starts its own trilogy so 3 isnt essential.

There is also a previously in Gears vid in game that does a good job at covering past plot points.

18. The Janitor

The Janitor Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Well yeah, but if they're gonna bring 5 to Steam it doesn't make sense to not do it with 4 aswell.

It's like if they announced the master chief collection for Steam, but only the last game in the series is on Steam, the rest are on the Win store :D

19. kapo

kapo Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1
    You can use the xbox app now instead of the windows store but I guess you may still need to update your OS. For what its worth the app is better than the store and you get to play Gears 4 and 5 for $1. Hard to beat that deal.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2019
  20. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVidia Titan Xp
    So I decided to enable insane reflections and there was a 10 FPS performance hit, but I'm still well over 60 FPS! :D Insane reflections had a much bigger performance hit in Gears 4, so it looks like they optimized the heck out of it. I'm basically playing the game maxed out now at 1440p and it runs so damn good!

Also the game itself so far is WAY better than Gears 4. If I had to rate it right now, I'd give it a 9/10. If you've played any Gears games and liked them, then you're doing yourself a disservice if you miss out on Gears 5 because it's the best Gears game to date!

Oh and the real time in engine cutscene transitions have to be seen to be believed :cool: