Gears of War 5

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by WhiteLightning, Jun 11, 2018.

1. emperorsfist

emperorsfist Master Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 1080 8Gb
    If they were to bring GoW 1, 2, 3 and 4 to Steam (and/or GoG), I'd seriously consider trying the series out. There was no point in doing so when only the 1st game was available on PC.

Kolt likes this.
  2. S.T.A.R.A.C.

S.T.A.R.A.C. Master Guru

GPU:
    HD 7970 3GB WindForce
    Far more complex!? Everything in that game is extremely simple; geometry, shaders, destruction, gameplay, etc. And that mobile version is even more simple, obviously. Btw, todays mobile hardware is on pair or better then X360/PS3 hardware, so it should without problems run that Fortnite graphics, and even better.
    Also that "The Collectables" game was made for 6 years old mobile hardware with old Cryengine 3, so keep that in mind. Btw, the only game that impresses me is Crysis 3 on X360/PS3 junk with only 512mb of RAM. That is procreating impressive.

Think before you write Carfax.

3. Stone Gargoyle

Stone Gargoyle Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060 G1
    learn to respect others have own opinions before you post Starac. you rly are rude

4. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    They can actually bring it on GoG if CDPR and MS work together. They already have some of blizzard's oldies with bnet logins so why not these? That would be so awesome to see. I think it would be safe to say we will see GoW 1 ultimate on steam after e3 and hopefully PC port announcements of 2 & 3. It would be nice if they won't be on the egs just because of how funny that would look.

emperorsfist likes this.

5. S.T.A.R.A.C.

S.T.A.R.A.C. Master Guru

GPU:
    HD 7970 3GB WindForce
    I have learned that long time ago. And i'm not rude at all.

You can't just throw your opinions publicly without thinking does it make sense. It's wrong information, it makes no sense, etc. To have an opinion is easy.

6. Stone Gargoyle

GPU:
    GTX 1060 G1
    having an opinon is easy but to quickly dismiss someone elses opinion as wrong cos u believe whatever fact is easy too. opinion doesnt always care about information cos sometimes information we are told or think we are learnin from can be wrong.

Last edited: May 31, 2019
  7. Kolt

Kolt Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 OC
    I'm solely interested in this game because of how Microsoft has been handling their games and open market concept as of late. I don't think Gears ever looked like more than a bland cover shooter to me, but I'll give it a go if reviews are good enough.

8. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVidia Titan Xp
    Perhaps you should follow your own advice, but I suppose I am conversing with a Fortnite hater, so I doubt I could change your mind. I don't even play Fortnite, but it indisputably the more complex game of the two. Why do you think so many people play it, including on a competitive level?

Fortnite offers several gameplay modes, including a Battle Royale mode which has up to 100 players squaring off against each other. That alone makes the Collectables seem like a bad joke in comparison. The game also has a loot system, vertical gameplay, vehicles, long ranged and melee combat, a build system which directly affects gameplay on a deep level, and tons of other things. Fortnite is basically just as complex (or more so due to the constructive element) as any modern day loot driven online PvP game.

It must be a sad joke that you even think The Collectables is even remotely on the same level as Fortnite. o_O:rolleyes:

Last edited: Jun 1, 2019
  9. S.T.A.R.A.C.

S.T.A.R.A.C. Master Guru

GPU:
    HD 7970 3GB WindForce
    Didn't i specifically told you not to compare the game that was made 6-7 years ago with Fortnite? I don't compare these 2 games, like you do. I have mentioned "The Collectables" just to show that you can make mobile game in Cryengine, although it's harder to make it compared to UE4.
    Again, compare todays iPhone hardware with 6 core CPUs/4 core GPU and 3-4gb of RAM with X360/PS3 hardware, and you will notice that the difference is huge. If the X360/PS3 was capable to run Crysis 3 with that shitty hardware and 512mb of RAM, then this extremely simple level of graphics in Fortnite is nothing for iPhone. In that DF video they didn't mention this, which just tells you how unprofessional they are.
    I mean compare older iPhones with the newest in the Fortnite. It's the same game, but the difference is huge in graphics and performance. It shows you how much the hardware is important.

Btw, Fortnite is game made by Epic, and if they don't know their engine to the fullest, then nobody knows. But again, in the context of the quality/complexity of the graphics, Fortnite doesn't impress me at all. On the other side you have PUBG which works like crap and looks like crap, and it's also made in UE4. The moment you start to throw some complex geometry, shaders, materials, and increase draw calls, you are gonna get slide show in UE4, especially in the open-world environment.

I have worked with all 3 engines; Cryengine, UE4 and Unity. None of them is even close to the performance of Cryengine, especially Unity.

10. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA XCUltra 2080Ti
    I'm working with UE4 daily, and throwing this kind of generality 'Cryengine performs better than the rest' showcase a fairly unprofessional and narrow minded perspective.
    It's all about having the right tool for the job, and optimization is the same for everyone.

Now preaching for UE4, there's a reason it's the most widely used tool across several fields from movie/serie production to archviz and of course video games, it's the most innovative production ready tool out there.

Here is a large UE4 open world with a partially proceduraly generated planet i made, diameter of the planet is a third Earth size:

Last edited: Jun 1, 2019
    Archvile82 and Carfax like this.

11. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVidia Titan Xp
    You're the one that kickstarted this whole conversation by posting a YouTube video of the Collectables as a response to me posting a YouTube video of Fortnite, and then throwing shade at UE4 and Fortnite while simultaneously making grandiose statements about CryEngine. If you know of a more modern CryEngine game that runs on mobile, consoles and PC, then by all means tell us.

But if you think the comparison was bad or not fair, you shouldn't have used it. I seriously thought you were joking at first, because the two are in no way comparable at all. Fortnite is a far more advanced game than The Collectables. What makes Fortnite impressive isn't the graphics, but the gameplay and how Epic managed to deliver the full fat experience to mobile with practically no meaningful compromises.

Yes I know that the iPhone hardware is very powerful, but it's still in a mobile environment and limited greatly by TDP. The fact that they can get the mobile game to match the console/PC variants this closely with the exception of a few graphical downgrades is extremely impressive to me.

Yes, we all know that the creators of the engine are always the most skilled at using it. This is true for not only Epic, but Id, Dice and Crytek as well as other in house engine creators. That's why I am so eager to see what the Coalition does with Gears 5. The Coalition is made up mostly of ex Epic employees, so they definitely know how to handle the UE4.

Well you are certainly welcome to your opinion, and many others will disagree with you. I have no relevant input on that because I don't work in the tech industry. But I can see the end results like any other consumer.

Fortnite is a great example of the performance of the UE4, and the upcoming Gears 5 will also be as well. Gears 5 will support 4K60 HDR in ALL gameplay modes on the X1X while simultaneously increasing visual fidelity across the board, which is a massive step up from Gears of War 4 where the campaign only ran at 4K30 HDR in the campaign.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2019
  12. Archvile82

Archvile82 Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 2080ti FE
    Not a huge fan of Gears but I enjoyed 4 for the most part (looked and ran great apart from lack of HDR support on PC). Looking forward to this one.

13. S.T.A.R.A.C.

S.T.A.R.A.C. Master Guru

GPU:
    HD 7970 3GB WindForce
    No it's not. Actually the difference is so huge because Cryengine is much better optimized by default, and i can easily prove this. Just google some Star Citizen video and watch technically the most advanced open-world game, by far. And ask yourself why Chris Roberts didn't choose UE instead of Cryengine. There's nothing even close to the complexity of Star Citizen.
    Or let's compare amateur games like PUBG(UE4) and Miscreated(Cryengine). These are similar open world online games. PUBG looks and performs like crap, while Miscreated looks way better, has MUCH more details, and of course performs much better.

All engines are not the same, and i have experienced this by working with them. In fact the most popular engine by far is Unity, but at the same time is the worst in terms of technicality and especially performance which are horrible. But many people think that because it is the easiest engine to work with, that they will easily create some game and earn some money. Actually 99% of them never achieve this.
    These are just stories that you can read on forums, how specific engine is easier and how it's gonna be easy to make something. Pure Bullshit.

Optimization definitely is not the same, and you can't even achieve the same level of optimization on all engines. The only solution is to create the tools in C++, but this is the hardest job possible. And if you do this, it means that you are creating your own engine.

My opinion is based on my experience with working with these engines. What is your experience?
    Btw, by default Cryengine doesn't support mobile games developing.

And do you even read my posts at all? I have explained you everything 2 times, but you are still ignorant. For the rest no comment.

14. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA XCUltra 2080Ti
    You're speaking with way too much generalities to make any compelling argument i'm afraid. Those game engines are free for anyone can comment on it without the slighest knowledge of game dev. While most devs working as had experience with several game engine.

I know Star Citizen fairly well (their atmosphere tech isn't even as advanced as the one i featured in UE4 in the video above, the planet is half size of Hurston from S.C), and clearly the money is going to the artist, the game is gorgeous, character insanely detailed (Characters polygon count is beyond 3 times more than the highest quality Overwatch model for instance) and sound incredible. But as far as technic and engineering is concerned, there's absolutely nothing revolutionizing here.
    If you believe so, i'm afraid you've been completely fooled by CIG soft marketing regarding their "visionary game" and lack a terrible understanding of the technology involving a game engine.
    The reason the game is in the state it is now is not because of the technological difficulties, it's because of bad management, and i say that as a Star Citizen backer who wants the game to come out, and especially Squadron 42.

If you check for Star Citizen environnement artist on artstation, you can find a bunch of them working with Unreal Engine. As for why C.R. picked CryEngine, there's a couple good reasons, the first being, Crytek proposed to help C.R. for a year to get the Kickstarter Prototype to work, to pitch the concept of Star Citizen. If at any point Star Citizen had enough engineering talent in house within its first 3 years, they should have created their own game engine, like a lot of sub 100 persons studio do.

Hell, why didn't they go with Unigine like 'Dual Universe'?procedural planet and 64 bits from the start, no more excuse for years of crap. This is ridiculus to some level.. lack of engineering talent, that's all.
    Just check how their vehicle and bike behave, this isn't even professional work.

Anyone can code a renderer with PBR support, adding a nice bloom, soft shadow, AO and depth of field, and make beautiful pictures from environement developped in Maya, Blender, 3dsMax of whatever. Well you can even make a raytracer and get better 3D pictures than all those game engines.
    You should code a small game engine and demystify what it does.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2019
    Stone Gargoyle and Carfax like this.
  15. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVidia Titan Xp
    Dude, Star Citizen isn't even out yet, so using it as an example is B.S. And from what I understand, Cloud Imperium Games had to build a lot of systems from scratch themselves for the game, as they weren't natively supported by CryEngine. That's part of why the game has been in development for such a long period of time, and not to mention the mismanagement.

Neither PUBG or Miscreated are open world games. They are just battleground games. A true open world UE4 game is Days Gone.

I already said, I don't work in the tech or game industry so I have no personal experience with either of these engines. That said, you're just some guy on the internet. Why should I believe anything you say, especially when it conflicts with what my research suggests?

Are you a professional 3D artist or an amateur hobbyist? There's a big difference between them.

Can't say I'm shocked. CryEngine is not known for its flexibility.

Yes I do read your posts, and I am very skeptical of what you say. Just because you say something, doesn't mean I have to believe it. If you don't like it, too bad :D

XenthorX likes this.

16. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti

so much god damned ignorance... Cryengine had to be ripped apart ot make it suitable for star citizen, its still not "optimized" enough for it.

Go away, you're talking from the position of ignorance or fantardism.

17. haste

haste Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 @ 2.1GHz
    Interesting how fast the GoW5 thread transformed into engine flamewar :)

TBH, if you guys really had some deeper coding experience with these engines in professional environment, you wouldn't even participate in this. Each engine has its strengths and weaknesses. The biggest task is to choose the right engine for project you wanna develop. That requires a lot of experience and in-depth knowledge.

18. Stone Gargoyle

GPU:
    GTX 1060 G1
  19. S.T.A.R.A.C.

S.T.A.R.A.C. Master Guru

GPU:
    HD 7970 3GB WindForce
    Cryengine by itself is revolution and engineering wonder because it's the only engine that has SVOGI and it doesn't have light building/baking, so this is the only real time engine. And even bigger wonder is that all this works flawlessly, performance are incredible. But what do you know about this!
    When they have asked Tim Sweeney why UE4 doesn't have SVOGI, he replied how it is too hard to implement and too costly for performance. Well Crytek implemented this way back in Cryengine 3 and perfected in Cryengine 5.

This is the reason why Chris Roberts decided to use Cryengine, because it's the best platform for what they wan't to achieve. An the only thing that they needed to create is the double precision procedural worlds tech. They would never achieve that level of performance like we have in Cryengine with their own engine. Crytek has dedicated team of people who only work on what i described above, so that's the reason why Cryengine is so much more advanced.

You know i have started with Unreal engine way back, and then i tried Cryengine and i was amazed. No baking, everything just flies, works. I don't need to wait 2 hours for light to build, if it doesn't crash. In Unity it can be 10 hours, and in the process your PC is locked completely. Horrible. I couldn't understand how can be that much difference between these engines and Cryengine.
    And then SVOGI/SVOTI. You just enable it, spent 2-3 hours to find perfect lighting values, and that's it. In UE you must spend weeks, and it doesn't performs even closely like SVOGI.

I don't believe this, i know this.

Btw, environment artists will work with any engine, just pay them. What are you talking about?

Exactly!

Btw, Miscreated and PUBG are open world games, with 64km2 large maps.

LOL! One more expert!

CIG has ported Star Citizen to Lumberyard in one day with only 2 engineers. So this tells you how similar these 2 engines are, aka Cryengines. And maybe todays hardware is not ready for what they want to achieve. Btw, the game is still wip.

20. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA XCUltra 2080Ti
    You do realize that Star Citizen is not even using SVOGI which is fairly low resolution by todays standard?
    If you think "engineering wonder" is catering to high end PC owners, this is terribly narrow thinking.
    Delivering the same quality experience from smartphone to high end pc rely on quality engineering on a scope that you seem to completely underevaluate.

Sidenote, just check what people actually developping games are doing: there's barely any game in developpement using cryengine anymore, to the point of wondering if Crytek will still be here in a couple years:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_CryEngine_games#CryEngine_V

UE4 as comparison:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Unreal_Engine_games#Unreal_Engine_4

You should consider send mails to all those developpers explaining them why they're wrong. :rolleyes:

Bonus: if you really want dynamic GI, with UE4 you get also access at a Nvidia VXGI, which is a much more recent and accurate dynamic GI solution from Nvidia. Made asmall test 2 years ago using it, no baked GI below, it's all dynamic:

Last edited: Jun 3, 2019
    Carfax likes this.