Gears of War 5

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by WhiteLightning, Jun 11, 2018.

1. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    Sorry you felt that I was replying to you... but I wasn't.

I was making a rather broad generalization, a sarcastic reply, in regards to this comment earlier in the thread...
    Gears 5 is gorgeous, looks amazing.
    And I personally (again... ALWAYS... anytime I comment, I am speaking for MY opinion only) think it's ignorant and a bit silly to make a statement that a game can't look gorgeous because it doesn't have one feature.

I called Gears 5 gorgeous, he replied that he can't call games gorgeous anymore unless they have RTX. I think that's horribly flawed and just plain wrong.

2. Seaclean

Seaclean Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 4GB Gaming
    Anyone else getting major frame rate drops? I'm at Act 2, Chapter 3
    inside that old COG facility trying to find Niles' AI
    and suddenly getting only 15-17 FPS. Before that I'd get a consistent 50-60 FPS. Running on an RTX 2080 Ti with Intel 8086k@5.0ghz stable OC and 16 GB DDR4 RAM at max settings @4k resolution.
    I highly doubt it's my system not capable of running the scene seeing as I've been in smooth waters up until this point in the campaign.

3. Memorian

Memorian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Don't use insane volumetric lighting.

4. Seaclean

Seaclean Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 4GB Gaming
    Thanks I'll try turning it down to Ultra. Weird they'd include a setting that would suddenly cause the game to come to a grinding halt right in the middle of it. Up until this point there's been no issue...

5. kx11

kx11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    finally beat the campaign , 10/10 this is by far the best most intense campaign in 2019

now the graphics are also on another level for a UE4 game , just pure joy to watch with HDR on

graphics setting that i turn down a little and gain more fps are vol.fog and tessellation , they don't make a difference above HIGH option

Carfax likes this.
  6. jwb1

jwb1 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 2080 Ti
    This game is way more fun than Gears 4 was, heck even 3. That sequence when the Hammer of Dawn fires, holy crap. I love that the cutscenes are all in-game rendered.

7. TaskMaster

TaskMaster Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC Trinity 4080
    Damn you guys are making me really want this game.

8. MerolaC

MerolaC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AsRock RX 6700XT
    Just get Xbox Game Pass and play it that way.
    Then, you can think on buying it or not.

9. slick3

slick3 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2070 +85/1200
    Right? I am still on the fence about this game; I'm not sure if its worth it at full price.

EDIT: To those who have beaten the game, how long did it take?

10. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    It depends. If you stick strictly to the campaign story, then it should be around 10-12 hours or so. If you do the side quests and try to get the collectibles and what not, then that will probably add around 6-8 hours of additional gameplay. So a minimum of 10 hours and a maximum of 20.

11. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    Mods please delete

12. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    Gears 5 breaks record as biggest launch for any Xbox game studios title this generation!

It's good to see that the venerable Gears series has made a successful comeback. And I can't say that I didn't know this was going to happen, as I predicted several pages back that Gears 5 would be a sleeper hit. :D

Now The Coalition should feel confident enough to REALLY do a full makeover of the series with Gears 6, with completely new or radically evolved game mechanics. I think Gears 5 tweaked the old Gears formula as far as it can go without a radical change, so they are going to be under some serious pressure to innovate and produce for Gears 6.

13. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    I for one really like the Coalition's take on the series. While Gears 4 stayed pretty close to the original trilogy, it did offer a nice new shine on the series. More colorful visuals, better written characters... and surprisingly, a pretty solid story.
    With Gears 5, I just now made it to Act 3, and I will say... I'm really, really enjoying it a lot. Much more then 4, it improves on almost everything, and fixes the few things I disliked (forced Horde mode sections, tedium against robots... some occasional cringy writing)...

Plus, Gears 5 is stunning at times, and runs like a damned dream.

14. TaskMaster

TaskMaster Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC Trinity 4080
    Well I caved and got it. Played for a bit and tried the multiplayer, but it just wasn't for me.

I am sure the game only gets better with time, but I guess the game play is something I have grown tired of in games.

Ran very smooth and looked good though.

15. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    How long did it take?

Xbox Game Pass is your solution. Not sure how much it costs where you live but here in Sweden it would be the equivalent of about 4€ a month which is a steal. I got 3 months free for buying an AMD CPU so that's nice.

16. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    I'm not one to go out of my way to find collectibles in games and it took me around 14 hours. Unfortunately they kind of force you to go looking for stuff to get the upgrades for the robot. That's my only negative about the campaign, way to many collectibles. Although I get some people are into that kind of thing.

17. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Suprim X
    i miss shoulder swapping in this game

18. The Janitor

The Janitor Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 3080 Ti
    So I updated Windows 10 after a long time of using an older update, figured I might try Gears 4 since it was now possible to use the store. Start downloading the trial version, I get to about 66Gb done when the download stops, I try resuming but instead it starts over. Frack that, ain't downloading 133Gb multiple times. So unless they put Gears 4 on Steam I'm just gonna forget this franchise. The store is a broken POS, lol.

cerebus23 likes this.
  19. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080, KD55XD800
    fyi its on microsoft pc game pass thing, which if youve never signed up before for, you can get 1 month for $1/£1

20. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    I agree that the Windows store has issues, but you don't need to play Gears 4 to enjoy Gears 5. There are two videos under the extras menu that will give you a rundown of what happened in Gears 4, and the state of the Gears of War series in general.

It's a great game and the campaign is top notch, especially if you play on the higher difficulty. So I would recommend getting the game on Steam instead when it's on sale, if you really want to play it.