1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gears of War 5

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by WhiteLightning, Jun 11, 2018.

1. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
  2. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    This game was running fine, more than fine actually, since I was getting framerates around 70-80 fps on a GTX 1080 Ti at 1440p with everything maxed out, including the three insane settings. Played the campaign (solo) for around an hour then at a certain point during Act 1 at the end of silo section where JD and co are assaulted by Spawn the game crashes with a Video Card has stopped responding error message GW502 though at one point it got past it to a helicopter sequence in a sun-lit cityscape before it crashed. Anyone else experiencing this?

I'm using the latest v436.15 WHQL driver for my graphics card and though it is overclocked, the game still crashes at this exact same point with everything reset to default so I don't believe it is the overclock (if it was then I wouldn't have been able to play the game for even an hour). The game will crash from a fresh reboot and from a reload of the game. The benchmark seems to run fine though.

It is possible that the game is somehow corrupted - annoying the Windows Store has no means to verify the files (what a surprise, eh?) - but I'll continue the save on my Xbox One X then try it again on the PC. I took advantage of the £2 Game Pass to play this game and found that I have free games on my PC and Xbox One X until next April which is nice since I already subscribed to Xbox Live.

Great game... looks especially nice on my 55" LG B9 OLED TV - but the crashes are really spoiling my enjoyment of the PC version. Might be best to stick with the Xbox One X version for now until NVIDIA (hopefully) release a game-ready driver for this game next week.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2019
  3. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RTX 2060 S
    Glad i got rid of the 442.23 drivers, i got corrupted textures and mountains were shooting through the floor lol, back to 436.15 it's now gone.

I finalized my settings, everything ultra with only screen space reflections set to Insane, resolution scale to 4K from 1080p and set Minimum FPS to 60.
    It looks great, i can't believe the game hasn't used upscaling yet to keep 60fps at 4K witth a mere RTX 2060 Super OC'd (boosts to 2140mhz)

4. pharma

pharma Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX 1080
    Already posted.

5. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti

436.15 is better but does not 100% fix the Pascal issues(more like 85%) and there are also day1 bugs in the game that are causing crashes on peoples systems.
    I haven't seen anyone say that a specific part is just entirely unpassable though, windows store corruption is a possibility :t

6. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    Well it was the very end of Act 1, Chapter 1 where the crash occurred but I was able to play to the end of Chapter 3 on my Xbox One X (my, my that HDR is certainly impressive, really miss that effect on my PC...) then continue Chapter 4 on my PC. I left the game running for 30 minutes at the start of Chapter 4 then played for about 45 minutes before it eventually crashed again during a cutscene at what looked like the end of the chapter. V. annoying.

Also saw flashing during cinematic cutscenes (capped to 30 fps by the way) that doesn't occur during gameplay.

The game looks and runs great otherwise but it just isn't very stable at all on the current drivers. Given how long it took NVIDIA to fix the crashing issues with Gears of War 4 then I'm not holiding my breath for a miracle game-ready driver fix come Monday/Tuesday. I suspect they may already be prioritising the Turing cards over other previous generation cards now but we'll see. Xbox One X version is always an option for at least and the HDR certainly swings in its favour with only a noticeably shorter shadow draw distance being the obvious visual downgrade over the PC while actually playing it.

Can't grumble for the £2 it cost me! :)

Last edited: Sep 8, 2019
    signex and XP-200 like this.
  7. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA XCUltra 2080Ti
    ok, game looks great ! how do you diabled dynamic resolution?

8. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega Pulse
    Just set the framerate limit from 60 up to Unlimited near where that option is and it should stop trying to scale to the given FPS target. :)

EDIT: The game also has framerate targets for both regular framerate and cutscene framerate in addition with cutscene framerate to unlimited and the animation option on quality instead of performance or auto (Performance at higher framerates?) which also hits CPU can can induce stuttering.

Other than that the only other thing seems to be the ultra textures hitting upwards of 10 GB of VRAM utilization after a few levels even if the benchmark itself reports a lower value it likely builds up as you play through the campaign so starting near 6 GB and then rising to 10 - 12 GB over time thus smaller stalls and hitching gradually increasing in severity.
    (User who measured that was running on a 2560x1440 resolution so 3840x2160 or higher likely hits VRAM even worse and might build up faster too.)

Carfax likes this.
  9. Yxskaft

Yxskaft Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX Titan Sli
    I wonder why that's the case. I've seen engineers say that with a "stable" driver, DX12 and Vulkan should be much more reliable and in less need of driver fixes than DX11 and OpenGL has have been. And it's not just Gears 5 that's problematic either, The Division 2 and Hitman 2 have also been notorious for crashing when using DX12 on Nvidia hardware.

Darren Hodgson likes this.
  10. Redemption80

Redemption80 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Thanks, using 7.2.3 so might just try that then.

Edit: Same issue, still throwing up a GW502 error which seems to an issue at the moment, but it only happens for me with Rivatuner running.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2019
    Darren Hodgson likes this.

11. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    Funny how both The Dark Anthology: Man of Medan and Blair Witch are 100% stable on my PC with this driver but Gears 5 isn’t. But then aren’t both of those using DX11 rather than DX12?

Man of Medan is arguably pushing the hardware just as much as Gears 5 in terms of cinematic cutscenes and all these games use Unreal Engine 4 (as does Spyro Reignited Trilogy for that matter which runs without issue on my system).

12. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    Maybe when the official Gears 5 driver comes out next week, it'll offer more stability in the game.

13. Memorian

Memorian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Strix 2080 Ti OC
    436.15 is stable here. Not a single crash or any other issue.

14. HARDRESET

HARDRESET Master Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti G1 GAMING OC
  15. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVidia Titan Xp
    I can confirm this is true. The longer you play, the more VRAM the game will use. The highest I've seen after a few hours of playing is about 8.7GB of VRAM usage. Also, remember that the OS reserves around 2GB of VRAM for itself, so that is why unless you have a double digit frame buffer, you may encounter some stuttering.

This should be easily fixable with a driver update I think.

16. MaCk0y

MaCk0y Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 Red Devil
  17. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RTX 2060 S
    Haven't seen that particular error, i'm using 7.2.3 of Rivatuner.

18. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVidia Titan Xp
    What an unbalanced video. He takes the singular aspects of both games and compares them, in a very unfair and biased manner. For example the destruction. Gears 5 has destructible objects that affect gameplay in a meaningful and not merely cosmetic way, yet he does not show that :rolleyes:

That said, did he think 4K 60 FPS would be cheap on a console and have no consequences? I'm sure The Coalition would have liked to include a lot more things in Gears 5 but were hamstrung by the weak CPUs in current gen consoles.

19. Evileh

Evileh Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Duel OC 8
    Cant hear audio correctly..... Have to switch my headset driver to usb audio and then when I want to play other stuff I have to switch it back it's annoying. Stupid Logitech needs to fix their crap.

20. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA XCUltra 2080Ti
    Boy boy, played the full campaign in one go, was really good.

HARDRESET and Carfax like this.