Gears of War 4: Unreal Engine 4 unleashed!

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Carfax, Jul 23, 2016.

1. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    The description states it uses afr, so it will be mirrored like conventional SLI/CF.
    Not any info if it let's you mix GPU's, but hoping it scales like 3D Mark Timespy does.

Fantastic list of graphics options, probably the best ive saw in a while.
    I imagine most should be able to perfect image quality and/or performance quite easily.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2016
  2. MegaFalloutFan

MegaFalloutFan Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX4090 24Gb
    I actually love the resolution scaling option, it should be in every game, no reason not to.

1. I like how some new games allow to keep the game at your native resolution and scale/change resolution internally.
    From the latest games i remember no mans sky, it always stays at 4K native resolution (no monitor resolution change) and changes the resolution internally.
    2. Dynamic scaling like in Gears 4 can help both people with low end cards to keep the FPS during heavy fights without sacrificing resolution all the time and people who play at 4K, even with overclocked 1080, im sure this game wont stay 4K/60 fps with all the settings maxed out, so dynamic scaling can help during heavy explosions and crazy fights.

3. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Yeah, I don't know much about it in practice but does sound like a great feature, even on PC's.

It's usually at the most hectic parts when performance could dip and that's probably the parts you would least likely noticed the resolution drop.

4. MegaFalloutFan

MegaFalloutFan Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX4090 24Gb

5. Seaclean

Seaclean Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 4GB Gaming
    Exactly! Finally someone else seeing this. Gears, Gears 2, Gears 3 and Judgment were all amazing achievements in their own right graphically. I was especially stunned by Gears 3 technical achievements on Xbox 360.

You could've shown me the latest gears 4 game play and call it Unreal Engine 3 and I would've believed it. Sure it looks adequate but it sure as hell doesn't look like a flagship UE4 title like it should've been.

6. cerebus23

cerebus23 Guest

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    ARMA 2 had resolution scaling. I could run it at resolutions that the textures would stop loading and get like 3 fps.

Wierd that they did not do it for arma 3.

Either way hope you all like it never liked the series, nm that the crap gameplay infected games through the 90s. Wall humping health regen for 12 years, if this game causes that to rule the scene again, wrist.

7. Memorian

Memorian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    It better look way better on ultra than what we saw in the 4K gameplay video.

8. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    That is probably the first time I've seen someone call Judgement an achievement in anything.

Personally, I thought Judgement (even visually) looked and felt like a step backwards from Gears 3.
    But, Gears of War 2 is still my favorite.

9. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    It should. The 4K gameplay is an older build with graphics features that were disabled. Heck, I don't even think that ambient occlusion was enabled in that build!

Footage of the newer builds have been shown on IGN, though it's Xbox One multiplayer and not PC.

As you can see in the footage above, the particle effects and gore are far better than what was shown in the 4K video, despite running on a much slower platform.

10. akbaar

akbaar Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUFF 3080 12Gb
    Paragon game is way better done in UE4

it has the most best graphics is have ever seen

11. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Kinda, but post process AA is a terrible terrible option. Driver forced FXAA is much better and less blurry.. Still not ideal though..

I would rather force DSR 1440p or even 1620p but the game somehow doesn't want to apply - might get perf. issues.. Who cares if "I do" let me pick it.. I reported the bug to devs., hopefully they're gonna fix it soon.:pc1:

12. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    GoW4 uses the exact same UE4 version that Paragon uses, which is 4.11 but with custom extensions.

As I've been saying, you can't judge the game properly until you see PC footage with the most recent build. All the PC footage we've seen so far used older builds with graphics options disabled or not maxed out, as the developer haven't done their optimization pass yet.

13. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Driver forced FXAA is still post process AA though....

14. Seaclean

Seaclean Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 4GB Gaming
    I was very impressed with Judgment visually. Thought it rivaled gears 3 in many places (though it lacked the big setpieces)

From the game play trailers of gears 4 it looks like they're using a late build unreal engine 3. I guess the gap is closing on graphical advances...

15. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black

at least its half blurry then in game. :)

Last edited: Sep 19, 2016

16. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    It's not that the gap is closing, we are still very, very early in the life of UE4.
    You can't use the first few releases as a way of judging.

Look at the first Gears compared to Gears 3. Both run on UE3, but the difference is massive.
    Or look at other UE3 games like BulletStorm, Thief, Mirror's Edge... the titles that came later in the engine's cycle.
    Compare those to some of the early releases like Stranglehold or Turok.

It'll most likely be some time before we really see what developers can do with UE4. In a few years, we'll probably see more games pushing the engine much further then Gears 4 does.

17. Seaclean

Seaclean Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 4GB Gaming
    Makes sense. I hope you're right. Still, the graphical shift from last gen to this gen (which has been underway for a few years now) is not as impressive as the gen before last (xbox/ps2) to the last (360/ps3)...

18. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    There is obviously going to be diminishing returns going forward. You can't just throw more polygons into the mix and expect hugely improved visuals.

19. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    Yeah.
    The gap between generations is going to slow down. As technology has advanced, what was not possible has shifted drastically.

There will always be ways games can look better, but, we are likely past the point of having generation jumps blow people away with the shift in graphical ability.

I know a lot of people want the photo-realistic games already, while personally... I don't.
    Better looking visuals are great, but, I have always preferred the games that add a sense of style of originality to their art design.
    Just enough to give it it's own feel. Some games, DisHonored, take this much more drastically. While others, Wolf:TNO, take a realistic look and spin it a little.

20. This is how PC graphics menus should look! :)

It's good UE4 is getting some high profile games now instead of just "look at this scene rendered in UE4" or "How x game would look if it was ported to UE4". Don't get me wrong they are interesting, but to see actual playable games on UE4 showing all the options UE4 is capable of is impressive. I wonder if Rocksteady will do another superhero type singleplayer game, maybe The Flash arkham-style game in UE4?