Gears of War 4: Unreal Engine 4 unleashed!

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Carfax, Jul 23, 2016.

1. gamer78

gamer78 Banned

GPU:
    Nvidia
    Damn... I was on 36gb downloaded this morning, just got in from work and am back down to 20gb downloaded. I'm going to assume the connection dropped and when it reconnected, it started downloading again. At this rate I'll be playing it next week :/

2. Redemption80

Redemption80 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    I wonder how the scaling is, but the game runs brilliantly as it is.

Last edited: May 1, 2017
  3. dsbig

dsbig Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2070
    fu*..

store is doing a full redownload....

125gb........

how do they expect people download all this.

at lest compress it or something.

this will kill people with metered connections....

4. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    Why is every patch for this game, like, 10 GB+?!?!?

5. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800 "Vanilla"
    UE4 isn't the best when it comes to patch content, usually large parts of the existing file structure has to be replaced though in a earlier update the developers of Gears 4 split it up a bit at least though the free map content and other additions means the game only keeps getting bigger.
    (Was around 80 GB when I finished it up but now a couple of patches later it's apparently close to 120 GB.)

6. Redemption80

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Yeah it was a 116gb download a few days ago, and the last update was just under 10gb.
    Easily the largest game i have grabbed.

No issues with having to download the full game here though.

7. kx11

kx11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090
    as long as i get 140fps with ultra settings i can't complain

8. TR2N

TR2N Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD
    Holy molly...

What next 250GB game size?
    Insane..

9. SerotoNiN

SerotoNiN Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2080
    This size of this game is absolutely ridiculous. The patches are insanely large. But damn it...the game plays and looks too good for me to hold it against them.

10. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    Hmmm, I wonder if that 116 GB patch was the reason my internet was uber-slow for a few days? I've noticed that the Windows Store can be a real bandwidth hog when it downloads and on my 15 Mbps connection downloads can often take hours which is why I sometimes leave my PC on overnight to download a game or large patch.

11. Whiplashwang

Whiplashwang Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090 FE
    Microsoft Store is by far the worst download service I've ever experienced! If you have a slow internet connection (I'm on 3Mbits), then good luck downloading big files! Every time I've tried downloading GoW4 the progress resets and get nowhere. The only way I could download the game was to take a hyper link to my office and download the 116GB download using their bandwidth. What's worse is that Microsoft won't even acknowledge there's a problem even when you can find plenty of reddit posts discussing this issue! Out of all the download services I've used, Steam, Uplay, GoG, Origin, Rockstar, none have had this issue where progress resets and your downloads go nowhere! Really frustrating!!:bang:

12. fragba1t

fragba1t Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX Strix 1060 6GB
    Agreed that the Win Store is a PITA when it comes to large games.

Have to say though that GOW4 was such a good purchase for me, I love the game! And the monthly free map updates are just great. I also like that you don't need to login every single day to get your login bonus, they just stack up.

13. SerotoNiN

SerotoNiN Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2080
    It wasn't a 116gb patch...he said his file size changed to 116gb after a 10gb patch.

14. Redemption80

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Sorry, as per above it wasn't a 116gb patch.

When hearing the game was getting a MGPU patch i reinstalled the game and found out that it was now up to 116gb, and then the next day i got a patch that was just under 10gb.
    [​IMG]

The file size is actually 126gb now after the patch, so don't think it was simply just replacing files.
    [​IMG]

15. anxious_f0x

anxious_f0x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 3090 FE
    Running really nicely for me with the mGPU patch, solid 90fps (capped) at 3440x1440, giving me a good reason to finally finish the game.

16. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    126 GB is an insanely ridiculous size for ANY game even in 2017 but more so when your only option to download it is through the incredibly slow and unreliable Windows Store. Predictably, yesterday's 10 GB patch took two attempts to download as the first failed at around the 7 GB mark and on clicking Retry it started again from the... beginning!!!

No wonder so many people despise the Windows Store; it still has no option to validate the download/install or even back it up for quicker reinstallation. Unbelieveable really that a digital games store could have such oversights in this day and age. I'm sure Microsoft will add them at some point (at least I sincerely hope they do) but, knowing them, it'll take years.

Last edited: May 4, 2017
  17. Redemption80

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    I've been lucky and not really had many issues with the store yet, and while the 10gb patch download was a little slow in taking 20mins, it did work first time.

Not sure how long the 116gb took, but less than 2 hours as it was done while I was out.

18. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    That's great if you have a fibre internet connection, which you obviously have, but not so great for those of us still getting by on supposedly "up to" 24 Mbps connections (in my case 14-15 Mbps) where even a 10 GB patch can take an hour on Steam (and much longer on the Windows Store). The promise of 100 Mbps Lightstream in my area currently seems like a dream, especially as I've been promised it since October 2013 and there's still no firm date either other than (all homes will have it by 2020!). Karoo suck! :(

19. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    I haven't had Gears 4 installed for some time.
    While I absolutely loved the game, once I finished it... and saw how the size of the updates coming out, I uninstalled it.

The updates mostly focused on MP, adding new maps and such. It was updated a feature I never played and kept eating up my bandwidth so, just uninstall it.

20. SerotoNiN

SerotoNiN Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2080
    If I felt there was anything else out worth playing right now, I'd have done the same. But I replay this quite often because, for my tastes at least, gaming in general is in a boring place.