GDDR4 comeing ... ATIs legs are shackeing

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by izikog, Sep 26, 2005.

1. darknight909

darknight909 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 2080
    also you seem to be tech savy and you should know that newer and better tech always comes out every 6 months

2. Legia

Legia Active Member

GPU:
    Monochrome Display Adapter
    Good post!
    AMIN

3. rought

rought Master Guru

GPU:
    twin XFX 6800GT sli
    well they say its going to be cheaper.. that alone is good news...

4. Homeless

Homeless Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 275
    I still can't even manage to get a new video card :\

5. Nishchal Sharma

Nishchal Sharma Master Guru

GPU:
    inno3d geforce (2X7800GT)
    You just read my mind dude........unhh....Why it is difficult to employ the GDDR3 or GDDR4 for System Ram??????..I mean if Graphic Card manufaturers are using it ..Why can't we????......Talk about Ram running at 1600 Mhz.......Thats just so cool.......

6. Alexstarfire

Alexstarfire Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce 9800GTX+ @ stock
    It probably has to do with the kind of information can be stored there. I would have assumed that by now they would have made the RAM only able to store graphics information, but maybe not. If they haven't then............. THAT'S A GOOD F*CKING QUESTION?

7. Hamid

Hamid Active Member

GPU:
    MSI 7800 GTX @ STOCK
    my god. more speed cards on the way and I kinda like that. Sure G80 will come in next year or so and by that time everyone (Enthusiasts) will be able to buy it.

I will............

8. nutyo

nutyo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vapor-X HD5870
    ati is shaking? they are releasing the x1800xt with 1400mhz. Whats another 200mhz in a years time? Nothing thats what. I mean i am not going to ooooh and aaah over 1600mhz, if it was any less i'd be sticking my middle finger up at nvidia. However the good news is that it is cheaper... although that rarely ever translates to cheaper prices for the consumer... just more profit for the company.

9. thewiseyoda

thewiseyoda Master Guru

GPU:
    BFG 6800GT PCI-e
    hmm letss see. What happens when you put 1600mhz Gddr4 in a 32 pipe card ? well you get G80 for sure. What about INSANE performence.!

10. DrFreeze

DrFreeze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GT740 2GB
    do you know what specs the G80 will have? do you know what specs the R580 will have? do you know what kind of latencies will be involved in this new type of memory? do you know what kind of bus width can be realized with this GDDR4?

no? didnt think so

this entire discussion is pointless, and to say ati is in trouble because of this gddr4 is about as ignorant as it gets

11. double_cut

double_cut Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PS3/360 Elite
    Agreed, ATI is in trouble because they fudged the design/process/launch of the R520 in spectacular fashion. ;)

12. Quand3r

Quand3r Active Member

GPU:
    2x PCIe 8800GTX XFX
    ATI is not even shaking anymore, to me it’s dead and buried for a long time now. Now they came out with that sorry ass attempt to imitate SLI called “Crossfire”. They can’t even get that one right, almost all reviews are bad for something that does not even work above 1600x1200.

The x1800? So what, a 16 pipe card that is not even close to what all ATI fans expected. Where is the 32 pipes card that was going to break 10k on 3dMark 05?

After all these months that the 7800GTX is been out this is the best they can come up with? Embrace the truth guys, a Crossfire board with 2 x850’s underperforms a 7800GTX that cost less.

ATI had their time with the Radeon 9800PRO. But those times are long gone. Nobody in their right minds is going to spend $1200 on two x1800 to play games on a 1280x1024 resolution. Well, maybe the ATI hardcore fanboys that are blinded.

13. Kon$olE

Kon$olE Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1070
    ... says the NV fanboy...

Keep the forums flame war free. Theres no reason to bash a company just cause you like their competitor more. Long live indiference!

Wondering about oc'ing that ddr4... even 10% would get you 1760, and with a little more you could easily get to 1800. Yum. A card i've always wanted is something like a 6600GT but with really fast ram.

14. izikog

izikog Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 6950@70 910/1400
    totaly agree!

15. Keitosha

Keitosha Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte Vega56 8GB
    Totaly agree!

16. ubermann

ubermann Master Guru

GPU:
    8800GTS vmem+vgpu Mod

17. DrFreeze

DrFreeze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GT740 2GB
    i dont, sure crossfire with x800 cards is misguided, just as much as it is on 66GT's, or 6800 right now, the only reason to go SLI or crossfire is to have two top of the line cards for the best possible performance you can get

and the 1600*1200 limitation can most likely be removed by simply using a different compositing engine, hell if i remember correctly ati even used a xilinx FPGA for the engine, which means a firmware upgrade might be enough

i have no doubt that x1800 series cards will be able to go higher in crossfire, because ati knows as well as i do, that if they cant deliver that, they are dead

Ati had a damn good series with the 9x00 cards, a damn good run with the x8 cards, they only seemed a bit behind since Nvidia had a monster breaktrough after the misserable fx series

sure the r520 is a huge problem right now, but saying ati is dead is stupid

i am not an ati fanboy, but im just getting sick of the amount of NV fanboys who keep claiming the death of ati because of SLI, because of the suckyness of crossfire, because of GDDR4 memory or whatever

i will do you one better, it has been reported that a lot of devellopers in japan are shying away from the PS3 because of the huge hardware and devellopment costs, if this pulls trough it means NV wont get anywhere near the slice of profit with the RSX that they imagined, while Ati will be making huge bucks of the x360, where, you guessed it, all those devvers who fled from sony are now making the 360 the machine to have

it is pointless to speculate about the death of Ati while they are still in the game, they might put out a series of cards which wont be able to beat Nvidia's, but they will come back, ati has a lot of side bussines going on, and wont be wiped out simply because they ****ed up with the r520

did nvidia die when the Fx series proved to suck? no they didnt, so stop whining

18. double_cut

double_cut Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PS3/360 Elite
    I think we can safely disregard the rest of your post after that somewhat narrow minded first paragraph.

EDIT: bit harsh perhaps but if you cant see why someone would go for a SLI 6 Series setup and would only go for 2 uber highend cards I think you're missing half the point of the technology.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2005
  19. Jagman

Jagman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    8GB RX6600
    Totally agree with you there double_cut, everyone keep an open mind and chill out.........Oh and on a different note, totally has 2 'L's in it!! :D

20. DrFreeze

DrFreeze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GT740 2GB
    maybe you dont understand what i posted, why would i go for a x850 crossfire setup when i can have a single 7800GTX run the same FPS? why would i put two 6800's in SLI when a 7800 series card does the same, for less money?

i didnt mean to say all cards accept high end are useless, i meant to say SLI and crossfire dont serve any real purpose in the mid en semi high end segment, imho not even for upgrading

think about it, if you have a single 6800GT on PCI-e with a NF4 mobo, lets for the heck of it say it is a SLI mobo too, you will have to buy another new 6800GT to experience performance increase, which is not guaranteed to work in all games... now if you were to ebay the same 6800GT you have, and add that money to the cash you were gonna spend on the next 6800GT, i see a 7800GT comming in to reach, which will perform 100% of its power always, unlike SLI

oh **** it, im making a long post again, and you will probably dismiss it after reading the first line, well what do i do about that huh?