Gave up waiting for a 3080 ...

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Mufflore, Nov 20, 2020.

1. endbase

endbase Maha Guru

GPU:
    TUF OC RTX 3080
    That explains it then good luck with your company in these times

Sovsefanden likes this.
  2. felicityc

felicityc New Member

GPU:
    EVGA 3080
    I got my EVGA waitlist order since I was pretty early for one of the basic models

Selling my 2070 super, makes up more than enough with the inflated prices, keeping it because lol this thing will last me years, feels like when I got my 1070

Haven't ever had a 1080 or 2080 so this is quite a leap, the 2070 super is just kinda bad with VR compared to this, and this is just the black gaming one

btw i totally knew 100% they were going to sell a bunch of cards to miners, it should have just been a presumption of everyone, same thing happened with 10 series launch- this is a big enough leap in performance that with cheap enough electricity, 3080s can mine pretty effectively. to think they wouldn't just hoard them to mine eth and other stuff is silly. gamers are a secondary audience despite their claims

Last edited: Dec 8, 2020
  3. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080 Gaming X
    I was lucky enough to get my 3080 a week after release, probably due to people trashing the Gaming X Trio with it's plastic "graphene" backplate and and everyone wanting the ASUS TUF instead. I ordered a TUF as well for my friend which he got about two weeks ago and my third 3080 (also a Gaming X) for my other friend is still waiting for shipment. Hopefully it will be delivered this month.

4. cucaulay malkin

cucaulay malkin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    they might've changed the design on the trio
    they did on ventus
    I ordered 3080 ventus oc,whose new revision comes with 2x mlcc and a metal backplate.
    still,no sign of the card though.

The Goose likes this.

5. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080 Gaming X
    I think review samples were different than production samples but I'm not sure about that.

6. The Goose

The Goose Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSIrtx3070 gaming X
    the tax has to be paid at some point....nothing is free

The1 likes this.
  7. The Goose

The Goose Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSIrtx3070 gaming X
    Was hoping my pre-ordered 3070 Xtrio from scan might reach me in time for xmas but the last batch has been delayed, hopefully it might arrive at scan before the end of week, providing they get 29+ i`ll be in the next delivery batch for the 3070xtrio......hopefully.

8. cucaulay malkin

cucaulay malkin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    I just got an email,I don't think I'll be getting it soon,but among the waiting I'm high up the list.

9. neatfeatguy

neatfeatguy New Member

GPU:
    980Ti AMP! Omega
    I remember when the Titan X released for Maxwell...folks dropping a grand on it. Then along comes the 980Ti a couple months later and priced around $600 and it offers near identical Titan performance.

Folks clambered for the 3080 - I don't blame them, it's a helluva card with a much improved price point and performance over the previous generation. Then a couple months go by and the news of 3080Ti is coming out.....

The current margin of difference between the 3090 and 3080 is roughly 12% on the 4K resolution.
    The cost difference is (MSRP) $800 (3090 is $1500 and 3080 is $700). $800 for a 12% performance boost.

The 3080Ti is looking to be $1000.
    They cannot make the 3090 look like you had people waste their money. If the 3080Ti comes out and is as powerful as the 3090, it's be outright pissed if I dropped $1500+ for a 3090.
    they cannot make the 3080Ti only be around 5% faster than the 3080 because any kind of OC and normal margin of error will make any 3080 basically the same as a 3080Ti, yet it'll cost $300 more than a 3080.

How in the hell is Nvidia going to actually make this work?
    You can't gimp the 3080Ti so it's too close to a 3080 and ask another $300 over the 3080 MSRP.....
    Yet they can't allow it to be as powerful as the 3090 and only ask $1000 from it because that would detract from the purpose of a 3090....

I think we'll see another Titan X (Maxwell) and 980Ti situation here. Nvidia won't sell squat of the 3090 once the 3080Ti comes out and delivers nearly identical performance for $500 less.

10. Cave Waverider

Cave Waverider Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090 ROG Strix
    The key is less memory than 3090 or more memory than 3080 here. The performance will be closer to the 3090 or the 3080, depending whether they will use a slightly underclocked 3090 with 12GB of VRAM (in which case I'd assume it will be priced around $1200-1300 MSRP) or simply a slightly higher clocked 3080 with 20GB of VRAM (in which case I expect it to cost around $1000-1100 MSRP). They can justify the higher/lower price compared to the similarly performing part with the amount of memory.

That said, the current 30xx products will likely be obsolete by summer anyhow when Nvidia releases a "Super-style" refresh.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2020

11. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    There was a small issue with my 3090 card a few days ago.
    Each time I tried to start Shadow of the Tomb Raider my machine would power off.
    It was most strange because any other game, even Cyberpunk would play fine for hours.

After a few more attempts I realised I'd been ignoring a white flashing LED that started each time the machine switched itself off.
    It was on the gfx card, at one of the power cable connections, complaining of a power problem.
    I thought, oh well, my 9 year old Corsair AX750 PSU that was run 24/7 isnt going to cut it.
    However, I was using 3 out of the 4 cables already coming from the PSU so swapped over to the last cable and its been working fine since.
    It appears the PSU is still in very good order and that one cable wasnt making a very good connection, probably worn from the years of use/abuse.
    Using a mains meter I've seen the 3090 system sustain 620W at the wall, no doubt with much higher peaks.

I already have a Seasonic Ultra Titanium plus mega Tyrannosaurus Rex 750W PSU to use with it but as its running my 6700K system 24/7 I'll leave it there and see how long this AX750W holds up with the 3090. Mainly out of curiosity :)
    The only reason I took the AX750 out of my main system is because earth loop noise became quite annoying, this was vastly reduced with the new Seasonic PSU
    But since moving the living room round and the PCs + hifi are on different sockets, the whole problem evaporated anyway.
    This AX750, what a stellar PSU to still be able to push the boat out after approaching 10 years of almost constant use!
    (ps its based on a Seasonic X-750 under the hood)

TLDR ::
    Old, quality PSUs really can last a long time.
    But beware of bad connections!