Gasoline price

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by elkosith, Feb 2, 2015.

1. IcE

IcE Don Snow Staff Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1070 Mini
    You can see where I live if you'd just look :nerd:

Part of the reason is that we have two refineries here. One Sunoco, and one BP. The prices have since shuffled up a bit to $2.05 a gallon again. And who knows what this giant storm will do to the prices now.

2. N0sferatU

N0sferatU Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 Ultra
    Florida $2.35 for 93 octane

Not complaining when I'm a gas guzzler with the blown beast :)

3. StewieTech

StewieTech Chuck Norris

GPU:
    MSI gtx 960 Gaming
    Hum...i´m from Portugal and a few days ago i bought some gasoline at 1.26€/liter...

4. keasy

keasy Banned

GPU:
    d1cK
    £1.04 per litre.

so that must be about what roughly, £4.16 per gallon ?

Roughly $6.25

Shocking what we pay in the UK, an oil producing nation that gains nothing from its oil industry but income tax.

5. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    Last time I filled up, gasoline was $1.95/Gal. As of yesterday, thanks to a recent tax increase, gasoline is now back up to $2.09/Gal for "regular" (87 Octane). I'm looking at about $2.39-$2.69/Gal for "mid-grade" (89 Octane) depending on where I stop. We're stilling seeing upwards of $3.19/Gal for "premium" gasoline..... I used to buy "regular" and a bottle of "octane booster" but all the local stores stopped selling it for some reason.

6. thatguy91

thatguy91 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 480 RS 4 GB
    I have read that people are wondering about the hurt OPEC are feeling now, but the opposite is true. Sure, they are hurting, but they see it as beneficial in the longer term. The oil price is actually so low it is uneconomical for dearer sources to continue, or expand. The break even price is higher than the oil price currently for many regions. This makes OPEC happy, but they're also happy because low oil prices are a disincentive for car companies to make hybrid and other super efficient cars. It also most likely slows the prospect of synthetic fuel which is also a big threat to them.

7. IcE

IcE Don Snow Staff Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1070 Mini
    It's a strategy that's not truly viable long term. Sure, they can cut down on the incentive to pursue alternative energies for a while. Maybe ten years. But once the prices hike back up, the demand comes right back. They won't be able to artificially keep the price low forever. Not to mention, even if all the oil production stateside shuts down, the oil/gas is still going to be there when the price goes back up. It's certainly no worry to me, especially since that means less environmental pollution on my doorstep. If OPEC wants to bleed their wells dry in the interest of medium term market stability in profit, then by all means, let them.

8. Dch48

Dch48 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Nitro+ RX 470 4g
    My '94 Saturn wagon runs on regular and still gets 36mpg on the highway and about 25 in town. Still runs like a top too.

9. alexrose1uk

alexrose1uk Active Member

GPU:
    R9 290 PCS+ 4GB@1150/1500
    I have a diesel, and unfortunately am doing mostly city driving at the moment so not getting anywhere near what I could out of my vehicle.

Still, that's at about £1.10 per Litre, or $1.65 per litre, so about $7.5 per gallon.
    And prices have come down from about £1.30 a few months ago, which is roughly equiv to $8.90 per gallon.

Makes me laugh when people from the US complain about fuel prices...

10. Ash Cation

Ash Cation Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX770 ACX
    $5 a gallon for gasoline(Brazil).

But next month the price will rise 25% I think.

11. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    Here's part of the reason we complain about fuel prices.

The US is used to an automotive mindset that size/performance is everything. Well, performance comes at the cost of fuel economy. It's a stupid mindset that bigger is always better....but that's how we've always thought in terms of our cars. We always want bigger cars with bigger engines.

Right now, my car gets about 18mpg city, 39mpg highway.... I'm actually less concerned about fuel cost when traveling because I get so much better fuel mileage on the highway compared to the city. I also run "mid-grade" when travelling and "regular" when driving around town. Yes, my fuel mileage looks to be a bit off but, it is accurate for the modifications my car has.

12. BigBlockTowncar

BigBlockTowncar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Evga GTX970 SC
    That is not true. Cars are different to everybody. Some people do not care about what they drive and just want the cheapest of everything auto-related so they can get from point A to point B. The USA built big cars in the 1960s and 1970s because there was high demand for that. But today, smaller, efficient cars are much more popular.

The demand overseas was not very high for big cars since fuel prices were higher, the cost of ownership was higher, and really long, personal car trips were not a typical thing. Outside of a Phantom VI or other factory limousines, a 1975 Rolls-Royce would look like a midsize parked to a 1975 Buick or Oldsmobile. The realities of technology back in the 1960s and 1970s were in play as well. The only way you could move a large 5000lb vehicle around was with a big engine....and so you had large displacement V8s become very popular. But as fuel prices went up, small cars became popular.

13. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    Last time I saw gas prices in my area it was around $2.39/gal. My car only gets like 20-22 M/gal. My next car will be more fuel efficient and plus have AWD (All Wheel drive)

14. alx000

alx000 New Member

GPU:
    8gb DDR3 1333
    Brazil
    1 liter = 1,18 USD

15. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    All you need to know is prices go back up a lot faster than they went down.

16. -Ruin-

-Ruin- Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX 1060 6GB
    Hanging out around $1.99 a gallon around St. Louis MO

17. scipio

scipio Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Evga 1080 gaming
    So true it takes a few weeks for gas prices to reflect the price of oil on the way down. But once the price of oil rises, the rise in price is almost instantaneous

Highest price I ever paid was 5$ a gallon in LA in 2012

18. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Moderator Staff Member

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    Now would be a good time to invest in oil. I honestly don't see these prices lasting much longer.

19. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Got gas for $1.32 the other day, $1.82 and 50 cents off from Kroger. Woohoo.

20. HawaiianBrian

HawaiianBrian Master Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX1060 Amp
    Out here in the middle of the Pacific fuel has always been spendy.
    On Maui its around $ 3.25 a gallon (3.7L) Was $4.65 just last year.