1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming while folding

Discussion in 'Folding@Home - Join Team Guru3D !' started by must_kill_ati, Feb 6, 2010.

1. must_kill_ati

must_kill_ati Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 2060
    I've been gaming+folding at the same time now for nearly 6 months. So far, I've not had any issues with hardware or software.
    To the point: What games have you played while folding and how was the performance? I would love to know of folding friendly games available.

Myself, I play Civilization 4 and it's expansions non-stop. It's so alt-tab friendly that I've left games unfocused for 24 hours and picked up with no issues. All while folding, btw. It runs like a dream :)

2. deltatux

deltatux Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    I've had 0 problems playing Rainbow Six Vegas 2 while folding but for Left 4 Dead 2, it'll hold my 60 fps, but when it starts to dip it'll dip faster than without Folding.

I tend to turn off folding since it's the GPU client to ensure my game gets 100% of my GPU.

deltatux

3. Romiz

Romiz Guest

I have problems folding and running World of Warcraft. Get a large drop in FPS. Like in the game I get 50-90 FPS but if folding FPS drop to 2 to 5. It is like the folding@home client is not slowing down and still running at 99% GPU power. Also have to totally exit pause still causes issues.

Other issues seeing is any game that uses physX can not run folding. But I am also running on a single GPU and outdated Pentium D 820.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 15, 2010
  4. maleficarus™

maleficarus™ Banned

GPU:
    ASUS GTX460 800/1600/4000
    Why in the world would you fold and game at the same time anyways?

5. aircool

aircool Don Aircooleone Staff Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 560 Ti 448 Core
    Why not? The only problem is see would be with more demanding games and the GPU client, but other than that its fine.

6. maleficarus™

maleficarus™ Banned

GPU:
    Why not? Why not jump off a bridge while your at it? LOL

Because it is STUPID?

7. aircool

aircool Don Aircooleone Staff Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 560 Ti 448 Core
    Is it really? Well in that case you'd be better off explaining why it is.

Since it isn't stupid as A) it will not affect your game unless your struggling for RAM B) F@H will still run fine (no EU's here) C) Why not use those spare cycles.

8. must_kill_ati

must_kill_ati Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 2060
    Thanks for your input, I'd like to keep the thread on topic and think we can do that if you're done.

9. yoyo69

yoyo69 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX670 Sli
    I play COD 4, COD WAW, Supreme Commander forged alliance, TF2, GRAW, Frontlines Fuel of war,UT III and others all without any problems...

10. must_kill_ati

must_kill_ati Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 2060
    Yoyo, when you game are you folding both gpus... or how does that work, I should say. I'm thinking that if I try to FPS while folding...my rig would croak.

11. yoyo69

yoyo69 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX670 Sli
    My GTX275's are now in different rigs, had to get rid of the 8800GT & 9800GT.
    But yes I still fold while gaming, average 50-60 fps in COD WAW..(1680 x 1050)

12. |WOY|Shotty1993

|WOY|Shotty1993 Banned

GPU:
    POV GTX 470
    u FAIL

13. maleficarus™

maleficarus™ Banned

GPU:
    Sorry, I was being a smart ass. Fold away boys!

14. Trotskygrad

Trotskygrad New Member

GPU:
    Nvidia 6800 256 MB
    I can run CS2D, Q3 engine games, and Blitzkrieg 2 while folding. Source games, Refractor engine games (BF2 and mods), the base framerate remains stable, but when I go into a situation where it starts dropping (explosions, etc). Also, if you do memory-heavy tasks, performance suffers if F@h is running.

15. Xtreme1979

Xtreme1979 Maha Guru

GPU:
    ROG Strix RTX 2070
    L4D, Dirt 2 all run acceptable while folding. I pause a project when I want the best performance. Any game that requires hardware Physx runs like crap while folding though.