Gaming Mouse vs Regular Mouse

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by .Vision, Feb 26, 2008.

1. .Vision

.Vision Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 460 @ 1920x1080
    Besides extra buttons what does a gaming mouse have that a regular mouse doesn't. I can sniper perfectly fine with the laser mouse that came with my computer. Can't snipe with a ball mouse though, I've tried. But really what difference would it really make to use "gaming" mouse.

2. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080, KD55XD800
    Nothing, to be honest.

High price mice are often more comfy though, and might have a longer battery life if wireless.

3. Drizzt

Drizzt Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA Geforce 7800GT @ Stock OC
    Well companies that sell "gaming" mice will tell you they have enhanced precision, better lasers and response times etc...

Theoretically, they are correct, but in actual practice the difference is usually insignificant. All that matter for myself is the amount of buttons, the ergonomics of the mouse and the quality of the mouse wheel. All of which are perfect on the deathadder and lacking on every other mouse I've ever tried.

4. PHJF

PHJF Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 970
    Higher DPI, polling rates, "better" (subjective) buttons, weight management, and in the case of Razer mice, robust options.

[​IMG]

5. anwaypasible

anwaypasible Banned

GPU:
    evga / 7900 GTO / 512mb @ 676/1554
    normal mice have a 'sleep' feature that goes in terms with the energy star energy efficiency

basically the gaming mice never go to sleep while average mice take a nap when your not using it to conserve energy and the life of the diode.

gaming mice should have better buttons that have longer life spans

the usb polling rate is higher

the dots per inch is higher

you can adjust the weight of gaming mice

one is made to be abused and the other is not.

6. LedHed

LedHed Banned

GPU:
    BenQ FP241W
    DPI on the fly is really nice and "gaming" mice can track faster movements than standard mice.

I notice a clear difference between using my Logitech MX518 and a standard Dell Optical when gaming. Not just the DPI difference but the smoothness and my overall accuracy. (I snipe in TF2)

7. Ali_NZ

Ali_NZ Master Guru

GPU:
    Strix GTX970
    Once you've used to a high dpi gaming mouse, you'll find the standard 600-800dpi mice too slow. I can see your point though. Before my current mouse I was perfectly happy with a stock Asus one.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2008
  8. v3x?

v3x? Member

GPU:
    XFX GeForce 8800 GTX 768MB
    I used to use a microsoft standard optical mouse. It was great! Small, easy to use and simple. But after i got into hardcore gaming i realised i wanted more from both my mouse and keyboard - and after buying a razer lycosa and krait, i can't believe i used to hit headshots lol It all depends on how you play, if you play fast paced games, i recommend getting a gaming mouse; their custmizable features put them way above default mice. The comfort and the way they look is a very big bonus in my opinion and, if you are into gaming a lot, they are very good at improving confidence as a whole helping gameplay :)

9. rogue71

rogue71 Master Guru

GPU:
    2 x 5870 / 3x U2410
    most people can never use a hi dpi gaming mouse at full sensitivity properly. go ahead and try one out at 2000 dpi. 800-1200 is a good range. a mouse is a personal thing. you have to try them before you find out what suits you.

10. anwaypasible

anwaypasible Banned

GPU:
    evga / 7900 GTO / 512mb @ 676/1554
    i'm thinking about trading in my g5 for the microsoft sidewinder.

i dont know how it performs but its a great mouse to wrap tension around.

11. Psytek

Psytek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x 260 GTX 216 SLI
    Ergonomics, custom profiles that can be switched on the fly (different dpi, independant vertical and horizontal resolution) and generally higher dpi.

12. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus TUF 3080 OC
    Normal mice tend to break down over time. "Gaming" mice have longer warranties and take a hell of a lot more to break down. Just buy a G5 and be done with it. That's what I did and now I don't have to worry about my mouse spontaneously imploding for no apparent reason like the 10,000 other mice I had did.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2008
  13. Psytek

Psytek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x 260 GTX 216 SLI
    I know people who have been using the same G5s since the model came out, and they are still working great and going strong. With the latest revision adding the extra button like the MX518, I have to say that the G5 (or G7 - the wireless version) is really an amazing mouse.

I'm thinking of getting one of the new 2 button wired G5s and using my G7 with my laptop.

14. TroM

TroM Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte HD6850 OC
    Nothing.