Gaming Monitor 24/27 inch Help!

Discussion in 'Computer Monitor Forum' started by ziadio, Aug 18, 2015.

1. ziadio

ziadio New Member

GPU:
    Kingston 16GB
    Hi guys!

I've been researching for about 3 hours now about which monitor to purchase. Price isn't too much of a concern at this point, but i want to switch from my Dell u2412m to a more modern gaming monitor. Here's what I came up with but keep i mind, I sit about 2 feet away from my monitor, regular desk distance.

For the 24 inch monitor choice, I've decided to go with BenQ XL2420G G-Sync Monitor for sure. But the 27 inch monitor option is where I start to get a bit confused.

I've realized that I may want a 27 inch, and since 1080p on a 27 inch inst ideal sitting 2 feet away, id go with a 1440p one, so here is where my questions come in.

1) Will my 780ti be able to cope with 1440p resolution for games like BF4?
    2) Will I need to worry about the awful scaling system of Windows 7 if im running at 1440p?
    3) Which gaming monitor is the preferred choice? Acer XB270HU or the ASUS PG278Q ROG Swift
    4) Do you recommend me even using a 27 inch monitor if im sitting that close to the monitor?

I think that's about it, any help or guidance will be appreciated!

2. Sukovsky

Sukovsky Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080
    I have the XB270HU and it's absolutely sick. It's IPS, 144Ghz, Gsync. Those colors, the sharpness. I came from an Iyama 22' 1080 60Hz standard widescreen monitor. The difference is still baffling me today. The smoothness and the brightness of the colors is fantastic. It's 27 inch and I'm pretty close to it as well. I fount it a bit close in the beginning, but I got used to it.

3. xeph

xeph Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970 1480/7200
    The asus rog swift had many people reporting poor quality control and bad viewing angles and horrendous backlight bleed, this video has someone explaining his (bad) experience https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtXAHPUmol0, although everyones will be different. if i were you id get the XB270HU because of IPS...

4. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080Ti @h2o
    I'm an owner of the XB270HU myself, and although it costs quite much, I still am happy that I no longer run my tn panel 1080p 60Hz monitor. It's really a great monitor, and if somebody wants to have the best there is at 1440p, I'd certainly say he should give the acer a try. Regarding your questions:

Well if you're fine with going below ultra settings, yes. You could try out and set your BF4 to do an internal scaling of 150%, which should give you a hint at what your performance would be with 1440p. I'm not sure how the 780Ti will run that game at 1440p, especially if you want to go beyond 60Hz (the XB270HU is a 144Hz display) the 780Ti might hit it's limits I'm afraid.

I'm not sure how win7 would auto scale, but you can turn scaling off at any time anyway. I've turned it off on my htpc which is hooked to my tv (yes, things get smaller but also they work and you can actually see whole web pages and stuff), and my gaming rig on win8.1 is not scaled either (and didn't try to once I hooked up the new screen). As I said, things like the task bar and icons in the sys tray and quicklaunch get smaller, but only then you get an idea of what the higher resolution actually feels like. And suddenly you see pages not filling your whole screen's width any more, or backgrounds ending after 1920 pixels of width... stuff like that.

I'd personally go with the Predator, for the following reasons: it's an IPS panel. Better colors, better viewing angles. Also, if you spend €650+, I would not go with the inferior TN panel to save a bit of money there, and since budget isn't your concern I'd go with the acer. Next, the acer does not have the problem that was soon known as the 'inversion problem', where there might be bad details, blurry text and such things.

And for the last, I have been using a 27" 1080p monitor for the last four or so years, not sitting further than two or three feet away at the most, and I can tell you I wouldn't go for anything below 27" anymore. Especially with 1440p, I once again get the feeling my screen's huge, shows everything around, and really has me liking to look at it.

I have to admit, if you read the owner's threads, there's build quality issues with both screens. With the Asus you had horrible backlight bleed, faulty pixels, plastic optics and all that stuff. With the Acer you basically had the same troubles, plus light bleed from it's blue power led, pretty much the same except the inversion problem. I ended giving the screen a try non the less, and liked it so far. The dead or faulty pixels are so very small that I can't take them out anything besides a screen that's showing only as single color (e.g. when you make a single colored 1440p picture and view it in fullscreen), but certainly not in normal usage. The light bleed of the button isn't really annoying me (usually not sitting in a completely dark room when I use my PC), and that a small part of the screen is reflected in the glossy black plastic of the bezel is not disturbing me either. Just to be sure you might want to test the screen, and give / send it back if you really find any details annoying enough to not use the screen.

If you're interested, here are the links to the two owner's threads on the guru forums, the tft central reviews should be linked somewhere in there too:

Asus Swift PG278Q owner's thread
    Acer Predator XB270HU owner's thread

Hope that helped. If you chose either of the monitors, be sure to drop a post in the corresponding forum, as well as questions for the other users.

5. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Having owned both the Swift since launch and the Predator since it's launch. The Predator is by far the better display. The housing its in is cheaper in terms of build quality but the actual display vastly superior.

6. Omagana

Omagana Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super
    An updated version of the XB270HU was announced recently, the XB271HU. As far as I know it's basically the same spec wise with a new bezel/stand design. Looks nice :) the glossy bezel of the XB270HU really turned me off it.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 3, 2015
  7. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080Ti @h2o
    Not really regretting getting the XB270HU. Each day I already have that nice display, and the bezel is not annoying me at all.