Gaming keyboard

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by faded, Feb 5, 2014.

1. Steppzor

Steppzor Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080 Ventus OC
    Logitech G19.. expensive, but worth it. When or if this keyboard ever breaks down.. I'm getting another one.

2. Trolle

Trolle Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX3070
    tesoro durandal ultimate
    way better then my corsair k90

3. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    I would get the g710+ over that any day.

4. faded

faded Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte HD7970 OC
    The G710+ is certainly in the lead at the moment. And it's quite a bit cheaper here than the other models.

5. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3090 FE
    Tbh if they exist, I would get a waterproof mechanical. That way you'd truly be sure you'd have something that'll last you a decade at the very least.

6. Fatty

Fatty Member

GPU:
    Foxcon 8800GTS320
    That last point about waterproof relates to the question on my mind.

In comparison to a normal keyboard, do you have to be very careful not to let crumbs and general grime fall between the keys ?

It might make sense to have a general cheap keyboard for browsing the net and general things while you much away on nachos and swill beer, and take out your special board for a game session, food free.

With a mechanical keyboard, can you prize off the keys for cleaning purposes. Or could cleaning possibly spoil the mechanisms within ?

7. Dorlor

Dorlor Banned

GPU:
    2x evga 780 ti sc acx
    Ive been using the g710+ for almost a year, and its an awesome keyboard tbh...

But as others have said, mechanical keyboard is the way to go, regardless of brand :)

8. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080Ti SC
    I had a friend's mechanical keyboard deal with pineapple juice, spilled over almost all the keys. The keyboard was malfunctioning. All I had to do was to remove the keycaps, clean around somewhat, and I got it to work again. Then, I let it soak in water (yes) to remove the juice, then after that took it out and started spamming the key switches. Great improvements without even having to desolder the switches, disassemble them, and clean them out from the inside. Switches that go out can be replaced by spare switches, and all you need to do is to desolder the old switch and solder the new one at two points only (four if there's an LED).

Given that you find a way to kill something in the keyboard, there's a very very high chance that you can administer a repair yourself.

9. IcE

IcE Don Snow Staff Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1070 Mini
    Another vote for the K70. The quality is immaculate. Better than my Das Keyboard and those are rated pretty highly.

10. adabiviak

adabiviak Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 980Ti
    I've been using a Bluetooth keyboard with membrane keys for most of a decade now (both for gaming and a second one for work). I haven't been able to find a new replacement, so if this ever dies, I'll figure something else out, but I find that quality membrane keys are just fine. It's the keyboard from the "Microsoft Keyboard Elite for Bluetooth" set.

11. faded

faded Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte HD7970 OC
    Any thoughts on the Corsair Vengeance K95? The build quality looks very impressive. Like how it has soft touch wrist pads too.

12. DSparil

DSparil Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS ROG StriX RX480, 8GB
    Go to http://mechanicalkeyboards.com/ - it is the mother load.

If you could afford it and want a very solidly built gaming keyboard that will last, I highly recommend Ducky. Either way, don't waste your money on a keyboard that doesn't have mechanical switches. My personal favorites are Cherry Browns because they're good for both typing and gaming.

13. IcE

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1070 Mini
    Ducky's aren't that good anymore. Filco is the top brand now.

14. DSparil

DSparil Ancient Guru

GPU:
    disagree. That's an opinion, not fact. Ducky's are of very high quality build and are considered a top end world wide leader in enthusiast keyboards. Mine is pretty fantastic, so I can speak from experience.

15. IcE

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1070 Mini
    Lol, butthurt of course because your brand was attacked. Your post reads like a marketing spiel.

16. DSparil

DSparil Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Yeah, real funny when you troll these forums stating your opinions like they're facts. stop being an egomaniac goon.

17. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080Ti SC
    How so?

18. IcE

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1070 Mini
    Maybe if you stop hanging onto a company's nuts just because you own their product. Then I'd consider it.

19. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2014
  20. Lycronis

Lycronis Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 970 G1
    As I stated previously, I absolutely love my K95! Build quality is top notch, it feels very solid and looks fantastic in my opinion. I added O-rings to all of my keys to help dampen the "clacking" sound a bit (common among mechanical keys, the sound of the key hitting bottom, regardless of the color type) and that made it even better for me. I also got the optional FPS backlit/textured key caps and palm rest for when I'm mostly gaming. The keys aren't much different, but I like the FPS palm rest (same one that comes with the K70) over the full length one that comes with the keyboard for gaming. Overall, just a fantastic keyboard in my opinion.