Gaming keyboard

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by faded, Feb 5, 2014.

1. faded

faded Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte HD7970 OC
    The time has come for me to replace my trusty old Logitech keyboard. Keys are now a bit tired and unresponsive.

Could I get some recommendations? Preferably from first hand experience.

Thanks!

2. Gaizokubanou

Gaizokubanou Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 7970
    Anything mechanical.

Brand doesn't matter other than reliability/warranty because they all use same parts for the key press mechanism which is what matters the most.

3. Lycronis

Lycronis Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 970 G1
    I absolutely love my Corsair K95 mechanical keyboard! I had the K90 before that and loved it as well, but got the K95 because all of the keys are mechanical unlike the K90 (the function keys and g-keys were membrane on the K90.) Both use Cherry MX red keys, but I think you can now get them with other Cherry keys (Brown, blue, and black.) I've also used the CM Storm Trigger (with MX Browns) and thought that it was a great keyboard as well. Main reasons I stopped using it was because I wanted the extra programmable gaming keys and I really didn't care for the red color for the backlighting on the Trigger.

4. heymian

heymian Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS Strix GTX 1080 Ti
    I use a CM Storm QuickFire XT (MX Red Switches). Best keyboard I've owned, would highly recommend.

5. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3090 FE
    All I can say is... don't get blue switches. My steelseries 6Gv2 broke down (Damn u beer) but I won a Razer Blackwidow at BF3 LAN competition and started using that.

Still far better then a normal rubber dome keyboard but I much prefer the more lineair touch of the black switches.

6. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    Logitech G710 Plus

7. zimzoid

zimzoid Maha Guru

GPU:
    2xEVGA980TiSC+(H20) Swift
  8. faded

faded Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte HD7970 OC
    That Corsair looks nice but it's not cheap!

9. d_mouse

d_mouse Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF EVO 5700XT
    This. I went from a G15 to the G710+ 2 months ago and it's been a great upgrade.

10. symphonyX

symphonyX Member

GPU:
    Palit Jetstream GTX 780Ti
    I saw a china made dragonuv gaming keyboard, gonna give it a try as it's only 20 bucks lol

11. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    g710+ here too, love it.

12. TirolokoRD

TirolokoRD Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 980TI ACX 2
    Could somebody (Based on experience) tell the real difference between a normal keyboard and a mechanical one?, cant get the fuzz but its noisy as hell!

13. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    much better key response throughout the whole of the keyboard. I'm typing this from an old membrane keyboard at work, it's painful, keys feel soft, respond unevenly.

Mechanical will give you a uniform keypress throughout. It's a pleasure to type with. Also, they have a much longer lifespan, you buy one and it'll last you over 10 years and still feel as good as on day one.

Backlighting is better on them too, they every key is usually individually lit. They are built like tanks, they're quite heavy and sturdy. Overall, just a pleasure to use and it's an investment.

My g710+ cost me £166 or so, but it has everything I ever wanted from a keyboard, and it'll last me for many years. It's basically a G15v2 without the LCD screen, but mechanical. Reason I upgraded the G15v2 was because it was becoming soft on the most used keys.

Oh, another thing on a quality mechanical keyboard, the letters/numbers/symbols are laser etched into the plastic, so they's no wearing out the print, like on most membrane keyboards.

14. scrapser

scrapser Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 SC
    Are mechanical keyboards noisy when typing? This has always been my concern. I read a couple reviews last year and they both mentioned noise as a problem. Also, do you need to press harder?

I prefer a smooth effortless touch. When the key bottoms out I release, knowing I have completed a key stroke. Mechanical keyboards seem to require more effort. Is this true?

15. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Ducky Shine 3s are supposed to be good, pricey though.

16. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    The browns and blues have tactile feedback, blues more so than browns. you'll feel a little bump when you press the key. Blues are "clicky", they click as you press down on a key. they're the noisiest switches. Best suited for typing.

For you, I think reds or blacks would be the best choice. the reds and blacks are linear switches, no bump, smooth key press. Reds are really light, blacks have the same travel, but require a heavier key press.

The Logitech G710+ is a brown switch keyboard, with dampening O rings to make the bottoming out noise quieter. You can fit these on any keyboard, some already come installed with them. Most of them won't though.

Here's a good guide though http://www.keyboardco.com/blog/index.php/2012/12/an-introduction-to-cherry-mx-mechanical-switches/

17. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Wouldn't say they're pricey tbh. They're top keyboards and cost about as much as the Logitech G710+ or the Razer 2013 Elite BlackWiddow. Sure, there's cheaper options out there, but Ducky is well respected, biggest pull being the light customization. You get what you pay with them :)

18. airbud7

airbud7 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
  19. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080Ti SC
  20. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3090 FE
    Unless they have a fight with Mr. Beer like my SS 6Gv2...

The numpad 1, 3 and 0 keys did not survive.