Gaming Headphones on Sale...Any Thoughts..

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by dkct, Mar 17, 2010.

1. dkct

dkct Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 4850 1 GB (CF)
    There are two gaming headphones on sale, does anyone have any experience or thoughts on these. I have a soundblaster X-Fi card.

SteelSeries 61001SS Circumaural 5H v2 Gaming Headset

or

ZALMAN ZM-RS6F USB Circumaural Surround Sound Headset

Thanks all.

2. TracesofCopper

TracesofCopper Member

GPU:
    280GTX WB OC
    I had the Zalman non USB for years, and while they sounded quite well, they lack In bass response but are quite clear and also give a decent 5.1 effect. They are also really comfortable to wear for long periods. The ear piece of the Zalmans did not stand up well before starting to crack exposing the foam Insides though.

PC Gamer did a review of the Steel series 5H V2 USB and stated they sounded really tight In bass response and also In directional audio, and were also very clear. The reviewer stated being able to discern the separate audio from footsteps and gunfire ,and also the direction they came from as well as distance.

Keep In mind though that the USB versions both use separate sound cards apart from your XFi, usually C-Media chips to simulate surround from two speakers or channels. So more than likely you will not be able to use the XFi's CMSS 3D for your headphones with the USB cans, and also adds a layer of complexity to your system.

It all depends on what you want to use as your primary sound, but also be aware you can get both of those headsets non-USB also. The Zalman non-USB comes with a splitter cable so you can use either your headphones or speakers without disconnecting or reconnecting them.

3. ejwa

ejwa Active Member

GPU:
    1060 mini 6 gb
    100% right. Remember another thing - when u buy headphones u pay alot for "GAMING HEADSET" in product name - less for quality.

If u want good 3d sound in games where u will be able to easy say what is on front/back/ and blabla 360* around u - than use ur sound card AND headphones with good quality - u will have much better sound, more options to configure it, better headphones and u will keep some money. I had 5.1 headphones ( few of them ) used with integrated card and with audigy se ( mod x - fi ) and to be honest its not what i expected. speakers are too close to say with one of them say " OMFG UR ENEMY IS THERE " ( but im not sayn they are bad ). And if its about mic, u can use any cam with mic on usb or buy cheap and good mic for 5eu ( or less ) - the quality will be same as in all those gaming headphones if its about mic. The bonus is that u can stick it to ur t-shirt or phones cable when u are in game, and use headphones with mp3 player or whatever w/o mic when u are out of home ( remember that gaming headsets are not to good for music - best example - siberia series).

Last edited: Mar 19, 2010