Gaming experience better in XP

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by slick3, Dec 23, 2010.

1. slick3

slick3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2070 +85/1200
    Hello guyz, so i just wanted to know why my games (COD:BO - FIFA11 - BFBC2 - CS:S etc) has better, much better FPS and GPU usage in XP than it does in Windows 7. I mean Black Ops does hit 99% in XP compared to the 70-80% in 7.
    I tried BC2 too and the FPS is more constant and GPU usage much better compared to Win7, low but better. And the sound in XP is very noticeably better in XP, not so noticeable in other games, but in BC2 .. wow, big difference.

Is it driver related ? I'm running the same drivers for both OSes. I thought maybe Win7 has a lot of resources going on in the background, so i ran gamebooster and "end process" for explorer.exe, and it was using like 600MB on idle before i tested the games, but same result, everything is indeed much better in XP.

2. The General

The General Ancient Guru

GPU:
    FirePro W5000 2GB
    Which is why i planned to go back to using XP for my computers. XP is still a better and faster OS, Win7 is just better looking , and is more stable, and have way more features. But as for Speed and gaming performance, XP puts win7 to shame IMO.
    XP = less resources, less demanding Better performance.
    Win7 = more demanding, you need a high end rig and high end computer to fully be able to use the OS.

I have a Six core and using a GTS 250 and can't even get near to maxing out GTA IV, but on XP i can almost max it out at 1280x1024 and still get over 30fps. Which is playable. Anyways, thanks for supporting XP.

And if you ever have a ATI card and want to use win7, but want the performance of XP, let me know, i know a trick that only works on ati cards/win732bit

3. drewho

drewho Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1080
    whats the trick? sounds interesting

4. Detection

Detection Banned

GPU:
    2 x 6850 - CrossFireX
    lol @ XP being a better OS

Yea... thats why MS are dropping support from everything for it

5. Last edited by a moderator: Dec 23, 2010
  6. slick3

slick3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2070 +85/1200
    MS is dropping support for it because they want their users to start buying their new OS, i mean just how many people went back to XP from Vista couple of years back because Vista was bad .... which is also the reason they cut support for it back then.

Obviously Win XP is not better for everybody, but for it is definitely better for me and for "The General", but could be different for you or somebody else.

7. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 1080TI
    lol i was about to post something like that....but some smarty would appear and yell like: its dropping because to make sales of W7...yeah that comes to mind if we think objectively.

Anyway, W7 is just good...even for just 5 fps i wouldnt go back to it..i feel cheap on it.

8. Redemption80

Redemption80 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    The odd game here and there will be faster on XP, but most of the time W7 will be faster as Nvidia/AMD will prioritse the drivers more than the XP ones, especially if you have semi decent.

Not tried Black Ops though, but BFBC2 ran better in 7 last time i checked, unless your comparing DX11 in 7 v DX9 in XP.

9. WacKEDmaN

WacKEDmaN Guest

XP is obsolete..
    no DX10(.1)
    no DX11

just have faith that the green gods come up with some good drivers soon!

10. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3090 FE
    No difference for me, perhaps Black Ops, not sure though. In the end I don't think it's 7's fault but the developer's.

11. Try 265.90 (They work great and there's been a whole thread on them for over a week now on how well they work for most)

12. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 6800
    Windows 7 IS faster than Windows XP in games.

Which WAS proved by almost hundreds of reviews.

What you do , is comparing DX9 XP performance vs DX10/11 W7.

13. Redemption80

Redemption80 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    That wouldn't apply to Black Ops or Fifa11 though.

Might do a check myself later on to see one way or the other.

14. Darkje

Darkje Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX660ti DCII
    sometimes xp is faster, sometimes w7 is faster...
    3dm06 is always faster in xp for me.
    x3tc always better on w7.
    gta4 will run like 10fps better on xp, but your mileage may vary...

15. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    I dont look at in terms of is this OS better than another in "gaming terms". I look at the whole package, gaming and ALL ELSE considered. XP can suck my motherfcking balls before I return to it.

16. allesclar

allesclar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    XP sucks compared to windows 7,

i think your 3GB of memory might be the reason lmao.

17. allesclar

allesclar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    +1 this.

18. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    MSi N570GTX TFIII [OC|PE]
    yep i saw the same thing in both cases.

btw Batman AA runs better in winXP, at least 5-7higher fps on avg. compared to win7, same spot win7 around 40-43fps vs winxp 45-49fps.

19. Rillipiru

Rillipiru Master Guru

GPU:
    660 ti 2GB
    WTF, no tesla this time? Just fking with you, merry christmas to you and mrs. tesla..

20. dnottis

dnottis Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA SSC 970 GTX 4GB
    I wonder if the lack of hardware accelerated sound is the cause. Win7 SHOULD BE better, why it doesn't support features XP does is beyond me. So much for newer = better.