Games will only be on Nvidia GeForce Now after developer opts-in

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, May 28, 2020.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    I would not call it a "shaping up nicely" when so many developers pulled out their games. Having them opts in would not help the case. This is going stadia path.

3. teleguy

teleguy Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070/Vega 56
    jbscotchman likes this.
  4. Lowice

Lowice Active Member

GPU:
    MSI 980ti OC
    I have more faith in Geforce Now then I have in Stadia, since you don't need to buy the game through Geforce Now to be able to play it.. You can buy it on Steam or Epic games and still play them on Geforce Now using Nvidias computing.. On Stadia you will need to buy the game and that is why it is going to fail..

5. ThEcLiT

ThEcLiT Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 460 1gb OC
    Steam Cloud Play (Beta)
    https://partner.steamgames.com/doc/features/cloudgaming

"Steam Cloud Play is currently in Beta and features are being added over time. We are now accepting a limited amount of games into the service as we continue to build features and server capacity for players. The first service we are connecting to Steam to allow users to play games from their Steam Library from the Cloud is Nvidia GeForce NOW. There are more details below about how to opt your game(s) into the service as well as answers to a few common questions below.

Currently Nvidia GeForce NOW is available in North America, Western Europe and Asia Pacific. Currently, Steam users will need to download the GeForce Now client and connect their Steam account to the GFN service to play their Steam Library. The user may pay a subscription cost to use the GFN service. Customers will continue to acquire games on Steam the same way they do today, and partner payouts will remain the same.

These cloud services enable Steam users to play their Steam library in the cloud, one game at a time, like they can on their local PC. Developers must manually opt-in the games they wish to make available on GeForce NOW.

Below are instructions that show you how to sign up your game in Steamworks. We are using a whitelist of games that have signed up in Steamworks. Please make sure to take the steps below to ensure your Steam game is approved for GeForce NOW in Steamworks and will be available on the GFN service after it has been checked by NVIDIA."

6. Daftshadow

Daftshadow Maha Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3080
    Not necessarily. It is Stadia's business model that is causing them to fail.

7. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    Stadia is born dead due to horrible condition for the creator, and an infrastructure that have 10 year of retard...
    And in here local concurence that do better, with more game (you can even instal game you own on the virtuel PC), and are less expensive.

8. phoenixdot

phoenixdot Member

GPU:
    HIS X1950 Pro IceQ3 Turbo
    Capitalism probably will win on this one and end Geforce Now life....

9. toyo

toyo Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070Ti 8G
    Complicated situation. All corporations involved in this, from Nvidia to publishers, are exceedingly greedy. I kinda side with Nvidia on this, but at the same time, I hate cloud gaming and don't want it to be successful, for very simple reasons.
    Gaming was never about the games alone, it was about the hardware, finally getting a card that can play a game that was not running on your PC etc. People these days no longer appreciate these things, I remember sneaking in an electricity power plant as a child because they had IBM PC 80286 clones that could play Prince of Persia. Or finally getting to play Monkey Island 2 on my Amiga, having to swap no less than 11 diskettes.
    And now cloud gaming is trivializing all of this huge part of the experience and puts everything on a huge corporation's servers. No net, no game.
    This gives tremendous power to publishers that I just don't want them to have. I'd rather have that power return as much as possible to customers.

10. EngEd

EngEd Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3080
    "With more than 2,000 games already committed to the service, including over 500 instantly playable and more added every Thursday"

Only a handful of games are added every thursday. The reason is that it takes time and decision for these greedy publishers to opt-in back to the service. Recently Square Enix is back into the service, but not all of their games are back.

11. EngEd

EngEd Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3080
    Stadia is getting bigger and bigger so its not dead yet and probably will never be. Perhaps the only google thing that will not be discontinued, time will tell.
    The bad thing about stadia is the lack of games and big prices and not so much new games available, then you have some games not running 4K 60fps as advertised. I believe this is publishers choice as well. Other thing is that stadia is a platform like a console, the game needs to be optimized/ported or made just for stadia. While geforce now and Shadow PC just use the power of a gaming PC where you only need the service to play your own games. 4K and 60fps and HDR will come eventually after RTX 3000 series release most likely as it is very wanted.