Games that left you in awe

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by TaskMaster, Jul 15, 2014.

1. typeAlpha

typeAlpha Guest

GPU:
    ATi 7850 2GB
    Xenogears. PSX 1998- When I fist set about playing it I thought what the hell is this crap but it turned out to be my favourite RPG. The combo system, characters and dark story blew me away.

Quake III Arena. PC 1999- Really memorable cool intro with Sarge and his Cigar XD and the in-game graphics and gameplay were just excellent. Rocket Jumps, Plasma Jumps and capping fps @ 87 so I could do MH jump on Lost World (my pc couldn't manage 125). Fun times. In the form of QuakeLive I'd say it's still the best Arena shooter today.

Street Fighter II/CE. Arcade 1991- 0_0 this got me addicted to beat 'em ups. The challenge of 'Winner stays on' while hordes of strangers lined up with their ten pence coins to challenge you and the amazing feeling when you manage to beat them all at school lunch break with time to get back for Science and Geography. :D

Meta Gear Solid. PSX 1998- Like starring in your own film, 'nuff said.

2. Yecnot

Yecnot Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080Ti
    Halo Combat Evolved, The Last of Us, Metro 2033, and...

Skyrim. :bang:

This game is the bane of my existence. I can get 40fps at high 8xMSAA on average and keep 30 at the top of Whiterun, but for the love of GOD I can't remove the stuttering in combat. I've had at least 5 installations, and I've spent more time tweaking and modding than actually playing.

3. GPU

GPU Guest

I would have had a long list but
    having play lost alpha not too long ago reminded me how the stalker games felt like a game that just fells right when playing it and yes it is not a port and yes most times you go around what should I do ,but for a old game/s vs these new ports are just lacking in their feel ,ported games made for pc [but you can get a double cross bow in some ports whopeeeeeee]

4. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Oblivion was even worse in this respect, I tweaked that pos of a game for countless hours and never got anywhere.

5. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac Trinity 3080
    far cry 3 kept me interested till the last, amazing game.

6. bobmitch

bobmitch Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 4070 TI OC
    Funny, I waited until now to play I Am Alive, and the game is great! Excellent story line, and very challenging. Worth waiting for.

7. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    Final Fantasy 7, Zelda Ocarina of Time, Unreal Tournament 99, Half-Life 2

8. Pete J

Pete J Master Guru

GPU:
    Some of those as well
    I completely forgot to mention Total Annihilation. What was awe inspiring about it was how it completely broke the mould of RTS gameplay at the time. We were all used to games like Command and Conquer, where units would be considered long range if they could fire more than a few 'tiles' away. Superweapons were a bit disappointing. Building things was also very quick.

Then TA came along. Suddenly you had weaponry that could fire more than one screen's distance away, indeed the entire friggin' map - utterly alien at the time. Also, the big stuff took an age to build - but you could speed it up by getting as many engineering units as you wanted to help out. Then there was the nuke. Not some crappy little thing that could only cause trouble for weak things, but something that would clear the whole screen of ANYTHING. Unfair? No - because for the first time ever you had anti-nukes.

TA = brilliant

9. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    HL 1, 2
    Far Cry
    Bioshock
    Skyrim
    AC4

Last 2 impressed the hell out of me at the start, but grew so sick of them near the end I didnt finish them. No matter how good a game is, if there is constant repetition in gameplay, initial awe can turn into "wtf... enough!". Eagerly awaiting their sequels though, and anticipating same awe and wtf experiences as above.

Bioshock infinite: Amazed at how the power of reviews can hype a game out of proportion. Good game for me, but liked 1 & 2 better.

I should add that "awe" doesnt necessarily equate to absolute fun. I've had more fun with several RTS games that I wasnt really in awe with.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2014
  10. TaskMaster

TaskMaster Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC Trinity 4080
    This thread can be positive awe and negative awe. Just curious to see what the replies are like and might try a few games mention which I have not tried yet.

That said, Metal gear solid...the shot in the snow with the chick. Wow.

11. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Yeah, the original FEAR was something else.
    I remember being a bit skeptical about it at first, like a "horror FPS eh?".

The oppressive feeling takes over immediately when you start to see those flashes. The lighting and shadows also work beautifully to enhance the atmosphere.

Then you get to the start of the second mission where you need to go and open the gate for the SFOD team.
    Alma appears, tears the team apart with that distorted violin soundtrack playing and you watch their skeletons' hit the deck.

That was, and is, the most chilling moment I've had in a videogame. I was too petrified to move for a while :)

As for other games, well Wolf3D and Doom are given. Also Unreal 1, Half-Life games, Metro 2033 to name a few.

BTW, while not perhaps awe-inspiring, I really liked Theme Hospital!

12. pegasus1

pegasus1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 4090
    Stalker
    FEAR
    Company or Heroes
    COD4 SP

13. SLI-756

SLI-756 Guest

GPU:
    760 SLI 4gb 1215/ 6800
    heard that said a few times now, gonna have to look out for that part of game in redux.
    I've only mentioned crysis3, I dunno if there's any other that left me in awe.

14. ])rStrangelove

])rStrangelove Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX780 SC ACX 3GB
    Watchdogs for me. :p

Hacking got repetitive, driving is too arcadish up to the point where you actually dont need any controller, just keys - and Aidan Pearce is boring as a char.

I cant bring myself to finish this game

15. gocorinthians

gocorinthians Guest

GPU:
    GTX 970 G1 Gaming
    Witcher, Dark Souls,Metro and obviously Half Life 2!

16. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Forgot to mention Deus Ex:Human Revolution.

I almost missed it but decided to pick it up from sale. Glad that I did, it's an excellent game.
    The mix of action/RPG/adventure in an open(ish) world is simply addictive.

17. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac Trinity 3080
    agreed the game basically implodes on itself, ubisoft tried a little too hard with it.

18. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac Trinity 3080
    also agree on DEUS Ex, great game indeed, kept interested till the last, the level design and story are grt.

19. Dch48

Dch48 Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Nitro+ RX 470 4g
    Of course it depends on eras. To me, the original Legend of Zelda and Final Fantasy were great and groundbreaking. Coming forward, I'd say Link to the Past, FF7, Half Life (all of them), Unreal, Need For Speed 3: Hot Pursuit, WoW, Portal (small but really fun),and the original Far Cry. There's not too much more recent than those that have really impressed me. It seems, at least to me, that as the games have gotten increasingly graphically realistic, they have lost something as far as overall enjoyability goes.

20. pegasus1

pegasus1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 4090
    100% agree, very few recent titles have made any impact on me. yes I don't game that much but whilst Metro was good, STALKER was better, Crysis is great, but FEAR was better. Flight Sims and RTS have come on great leaps and obviously the likes of BF have taken thing to a new graphical level but the wow factor...........its been a while.