Games that helped build a genre.

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by death_samurai, Sep 23, 2009.

1. death_samurai

death_samurai Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Palit 970 GTX jetstream
    What games did u think that first started out and created a whole new genre?

FPS.

I believe it was the doom series that started it. After doom got popular all the clones came out. Too many to list here but includes wolfenstein, duke nukem and the latest ones would be crysis and Call of duty series.

RTS.

I believe it was warcraft that started it. After it came out, C &C followed suit, along with star craft and many others.

Puzzle solving with good graphics.

If any of u remember the PS1. Some games looked good some were pretty ugly. Then resident evil came out on the PS1. The graphics were very nice on the PS1. This game spawned animation movies, 3 movies and is now has a part5 of the game and also created a genre and it's most obvious clone is silent hill which takes the survival horror, psychological scare to a whole new level while RE has all along been arcade action mixed in with puzzle solving and a few scares but they are getting more action packed like left 4 dead.

Anymore pls add on.

2. death_samurai

GPU:
    Palit 970 GTX jetstream
    Oh yes and the 1 vs 1 fighter game.

Street fighter.

Very simple rules. 2 characters fight it out till one loses.

Very simple announcments too. Round # Fight!

All the clones copied it most notably mortal kombat and the other countless japanese type of games.

3. Flopster

Flopster Banned

GPU:
    Club3D 8600GTS 256MB
    I wonder what started the rpg as a whole...?

4. tuco

tuco Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2 460's
    Ultima underworld must have aided the rpg.

5. death_samurai

GPU:
    Palit 970 GTX jetstream

I think this didn't start out as pc games. It was already popular in the 60's or even earlier when dungeons and dragons came out or maybe when lord of the rings novels were out.

Then when pcs were invented they become digitized. Something like how chess for eg can be played on a pc.

There's 2 main bodies. One is western or mainly american and the other is Japanese.

i believe that it was AD&D games that first started the turn based attacking. Then final fantasy series and many others followed suit. Turn based sucks and it's weird to see any game that incoporates that today.

6. CronoGraal

CronoGraal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI R9 390 8GB
    I guess it depends on what you mean by "started" and "created". I mean, you can have the very first of a genre but it may have not really influenced the genre as a whole as much as other titles. To me it's the ones that helped shape the genre, even if they weren't the first.

For example I think Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat both got the fighting genre moving. I never thought Mortal Kombat was a good fighter but it no doubt helped the genre gain popularity in the US, and Street Fighter is just beast on it's own.

For RPGs it would depend on what kind of RPGs. I think the Classics on the SNES (Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy 3, etc) really helped the JRPG genre gain popularity and as much as I dislike it, Final Fantasy 7 was extremely popular.

In the FPS world, no doubt Doom had a great influence on the genre. I think Half Life was an important influence as well.

7. death_samurai

GPU:
    Palit 970 GTX jetstream

If u read my thread title i mentioned which games helped to build the genre. True in my 1st post i mention what game is the 1st one that started it. U can say i was referring to any game that either helped to build it or started it.

Sure MK and Half life did help. In fact if u think about it, most likely every single game of a genre probably would have helped in some way. Then i'm reluctant to really give the later games credit cos they are like copy cats.

Like for eg i hate to mention silent hill. True it's much scarier than RE but it's an RE clone.

Another game that sort of combined 2 genres would be the fear series. combining the psylogical scares of RE and the fps of doom.

8. yleclerc

yleclerc Master Guru

GPU:
    nVidia GTX 1660 6GB
    I do believe that Doom was the first FPS to be popular. However, I do believe that there was a game that "preceded" Doom and gave the "first" glimpse to the "First Person Shooter" style. It was Wolfenstein 3D. Doom and Doom II both had a Wolfenstein level.

9. Kaleid

Kaleid Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3070 OC
    The thief series..
    First person sneaker genre..

10. crushilista

crushilista Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 670
    Final Fantasy 7 totally deserves credit for punching up RPGs into the mainstream. Shooter i'd say doom, goldeneye. Action I'd say Orcania of Time, metal gear. Platformer Mario, Ratchet and Clank, Spyro, Bandicoot. RTS would be Warcraft, Starcraft. TBS I guess would be Civilization. Fighting games Mortal Kombat 1-3, Soul Caliber.

11. cerebus23

cerebus23 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    rts were probably defined by the success of age of empires, but was that time in the 90s that seemed you could not throw a rock wo hitting an rts release they just seemed to explode on the gaming scene.

rpg you might be able to go back to zork and other txt based rpg games, legend of zelda certianly predated ff7, and proved americans would buy rpgs in droves, ff7 just more or less mainstreamed jrpgs. then you had the ultima games and such that were massive hits in their own right i remember the early ultima games very difficult.

fps you have to give it up for doom, when that game hit i think everyone having a pc or not got to hear of that game and probably play it at a friends house or a copy someone snuck onto the school computers or work. and first time you played it if you were trying to dodge away from the fireballs being hurled at you instinctively it certainly was a few leagues above the forerunner of the fps wolfenstein.

and what came first metal gear or thief? deus ex or thief? thief might have been a game that nearly perfected the stealth play game but metal gear was the first stealth based game i could ever remember playing on nes, then deus ex came out fps/stealth/rpg game. and before metal gear was made people were saying stealth games were a waste of time to develop.

12. Tat3

Tat3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB GTX 1660 Ti OC
    Street Fighter, but OMF 2097 still has special place in my heart :)

Ultima Online

Warcraft / StarCraft
    Dungeon Keeper

Counter Strike
    Unreal Tournament
    Rainbow Six

GTR

The Sims

Sam & Max

13. death_samurai

GPU:
    Palit 970 GTX jetstream

goldeneye?

OMg i remember reading 1 game review that gave suggestions on what to do with a goldeneye game disc and it included putting it in a urinal for better aim.

14. ibitato

ibitato Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4870X2+4870 1GB on S T260
    lost vikings

prince of persia

larry

15. Zen0

Zen0 Master Guru

GPU:
    GPU
    GTA...need I say more?

I think Far Cry / Crysis started the whole large open level non-linear do anything you want FPS type of game.
    Seems a lot of people disagree, but I found Crysis to be a revolutionary FPS with gameplay mechanics that rival any other FPS.

COD2, not really for starting a whole genre, but for defining the health/healing system which went on to be used by most FPS/TPS games today.

16. crushilista

crushilista Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 670
    Seeing as goldeneye was a cartridge, I doubt that review is for this game ^_^. Your thinking of the horrible sequel, not the n64 version.

17. ZeroAndOne

ZeroAndOne Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 6800GS AGP 256mb @ stock
    Diablo is probably the origin of action rpg.
    action + rpg is a good combination for those who think rpg is too slow and involving.

Now there are games of this genre such as Sacred, Titan Quest, Hellgate London and etc.

18. korn666

korn666 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 295
    halo did that

19. Iggyblack

Iggyblack Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY GTX 960 1330/1790
    GTA III for sandbox/open world games.

20. Dorest0rm

Dorest0rm Member Guru

GPU:
    2x Ati Radeon HD4770
    Planetside and World war 2 online i guess for the MMOFPS genre...