Games stutter problem

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by ICrewella, Aug 4, 2022.

1. ICrewella

ICrewella Active Member

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4060
    I have microstutter and stutter in most games, can you help me?
    GPU: GTX 1070
    CPU: i5 10400F
    Ram: 8x2 16 GB DDR4 2666 MHZ
    HDD: 1TB 7200 RPM WD blue
    SSD: 240 GB samsung

2. Babel-17

Babel-17 Member Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF RTX 4080
    Defragment your hard drive. Shut down every program except what you need to play. Use task manager to check what processes are running in the background. If any aren't connected to windows, see if you can set the related program to not run in the background, unless you need them to.

Things like back-up utilities can often be shut down while playing, and they'll restart after a reboot.

3. ocsystem

ocsystem Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD 6600xt
    Mostly these micro stutter hard to diagnose. But keep diag, thread is open regarding this already

4. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    What PSU have you got?

5. DirtyDee

DirtyDee Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 4090 Gaming
    Whatever your minimum FPS is, cap it to that and enable v-sync.

CPC_RedDawn and DryIce like this.
  6. DryIce

DryIce Guest

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3080TI
    like he said

7. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    First off get rid of your HDD and get at least a standard SSD. I doubt you can fit many games on a 240GB SSD. That 1TB HDD will cause issues with newer titles. By all means keep it for backups and other media files, but keep games off that drive unless they are much older or weaker titles.

Also your RAM is very slow speeds for DDR4. Memory can be another big culprit to microstutters especially with loose timings. Consider at least getting a 3200MHzCL16 kit as a minimum.

If you have a freesync or gsync monitor then make sure its enabled in both the monitor OSD and Nvidia control panel.

Now in games that you get microstutter I would cap your frame rate. I great place to start is using either RTSS or Nvidia control panel's built in fps cap and cap a few frames below your monitors refresh rate. So for 120Hz cap to 118fps, 144Hz cap to 142fps and for 60Hz cap to 58 or 59fps.

Then in game make sure VSYNC is ENABLED! This has to be enabled to complete the freesync/gsync pipeline and to make 100% sure tearing will never appear.

If you still get stutters then slowly decrease your fps cap to where you feel comfortable and to wear you start to see a flat line in your frame time graph (use MSI AB and RTSS to see frame times).

You can also lower your in game graphics settings. A great place to try is Digital Foundry videos on YouTube, or Hardware Unboxed. They give detailed settings guides to get more fps whilst trying to keep as much IQ as possible.

Or jump over to this reddit page which has a list of games and their recommended settings for different systems
    https://www.reddit.com/r/OptimizedGaming/comments/qvlvkx/official_optimized_games_list/

Great place, and its regularly updated too.

Ultra/Extreme graphics settings for the most part are a joke even on high end systems. I use mostly High settings options in games as the difference from High to Very High or to Ultra is extremely low but the fps difference can be massive. I would always trade a small bit of eye candy for 10-20fps more any day of the week.

Don't be afraid to use low settings options either, your GPU is getting old now and will struggle in newer titles. Just keep textures on medium to high and lower other big settings like shadows and never use MSAA (unless the game is older) as these are fps killers.