Games run better with MLAA enable

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by The General, Jan 16, 2012.

1. Valagard

Valagard Guest

Human's can see over 300FPS naturally, your brain takes a image every time your eyes move, the lens change focus etc

At rest is can drop as low as 180 snaps per second, when paying attention its between 300-400, and at times of duress your eyes make over 500 positional changes per second

Each time your eye changes position, it takes a snapshot

2. diddly

diddly Active Member

GPU:
    KFA2 GTX 970 Infin8
  3. diogo_cme

diogo_cme Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI Cyclone 6850 OC
    What's the performance bite of that?

I usually use these out-of-game AA when it doesn't hurt my FPS, like in Dead Space or Mass Effect2 - games were my GPU is not taking a beating.

Update: hard to get it working, it crashed Dead Space 1/2, Mass Effect 2 and Deus EX:HR...

Last edited: Jan 18, 2012
  4. Benik3

Benik3 Master Guru

GPU:
    Aorus E. RTX2080Ti
    What you mean better?
    I tried it once in Kings Bounty Armored princess and FPS fall to half and text was unreadable...

5. wazups2x

wazups2x Active Member

GPU:
    R9 390
    I tried MLAA in Dirt 3 and it cut my framerate in half.

6. Chouji

Chouji Ancient Guru

GPU:
    19 inch flat screen
  7. Craftyman

Craftyman Member

GPU:
    2x Sapphire 6950 Toxic
    I'm sorry what? are you suggesting that the human eye can't see more than 10 fps? Here's an interesting website for you: http://www.100fps.com/how_many_frames_can_humans_see.htm

I have a 120hz monitor I can notice immediate and significant difference between 60hz and 120hz just through cursor movement.

8. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 7970 Ghz Ed.
    This is because, LCD's are a piece of trash.
    I just ran Crysis at *60 hz*, yes, SIXTY HERTZ on my CRT, with vsync on, and it looks MILES better than it does at 120 hz and 120 FPS on my 2233rz.
    Yes, I said 2233rz. So I do have a LCD, so you can't flame me for not knowing what I'm talking about.

Maybe you've used LCD's for so long that you forgot just how GOOD 60 hz/60 fps smoothness was on a CRT. Yes, the flicker is annoying but that's most noticable on the desktop with white or gray backgrounds; not so obvious in games.

Plus, it's easy to maintain 60 FPS in Crysis with max details and AA (you can even throw in some adaptive AA, but be prepared to drop under 60). It's near impossible to maintain 120 FPS even on a 7970 and highest detail with high AA, unless you're at a very low resolution.

(of course I usually use 100 hz refresh rate and 100 fps, since that's a realistic goal for modern games and hardware.. But even then, many games can't average 100 fps anyway, and this is why I'm still using my CRT. 120 hz lcd's simply suck if you can't maintain 120 FPS, while CRT's can just drop the refresh rate to match the FPS you can maintain).

It *IS* true that you can NOT tell the difference with vsync on, between 60 fps and 120 fps assuming slow turning speeds. Both are glass smooth. However, 60 fps will "blur" at slower mouse turning speeds than 120 FPS. So you can turn faster and keep easier recognition of items (very important for competitive multiplayer) at 120 fps/120 hz/vsync on, since in games like COD, being able to see someone before they see you makes all the difference.

(I was called a hacker by two teenagers, just because of my fast reflexes, because i kept killing them from impossible positions. I guess my CRT (which lets me pick out enemies easier when turning) plus using good headphones and sound, and being a skilled gamer with above average reaction time, has something to do with that...)

9. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 7970 Ghz Ed.
    Yes, that's because you're using a LCD.
    LCD's are simply nowhere in the league of CRT's when it comes to proper screen updates. Some people say they are, but not everyone has fast reaction time and response. I'm VERY perceptive (considering I have a pretty decent IQ) so I can pick things out easily. (you can consider that a blessing or curse).

Try the test on a CRT, and you will notice that 60 hz on your CRT will have the mouse floating SMOOTHER than 120hz on your LCD. I have both, so I know. I've tested it (it's best for this test that your mouse is using a polling rate that is close to a common multiple of the refresh rate, btw). That's why my 2233rz is sitting on the floor instead of being in use...

10. Roffle

Roffle Member Guru

GPU:
    ASUS HD 5770 CUcore
    You don't need one. It's very logical that a 120 Hz monitor can display more info and is more responsive than a 60 Hz one. Plus, response time is also reduced:

60 Hz = ~16 ms
    120 Hz = ~8 ms

11. NeuroFunkeR

NeuroFunkeR Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte NV WF3 670GTX
    Try Arma 2 with AA and try Metro with AA, especially with 1920x1080 resolution.

12. UZ7

UZ7 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB Vision 3080 10GB
    It's hard to believe till you see it? :p I was on the same boat till my bro got a S27A950D, even desktop was much smoother.

It would really depend on the game/game engine because believe it or not many of our games are ports that were from console which were coded to run at least 30fps. Remember the new NFS game? frostbite engine 2.0 but was hardlocked to 30fps. Of course many people wont see it via console because they were coded that way and at low graphics. Pretty sure if you play games at 1920x1080 on an X2900XT on low/med settings you can eventually get 30+ fps (360 equivalent hardware~) and it will be perfectly fine to the millions of people who own consoles (they dont see the difference because they never experienced it).

Now about the whole thing with eyes not being able to see more than 30fps, during a 60 frame rate visual your eyes will capture however many out of that 60 frames. Dont get mixed up with TV 120/240/600Hz because they're just interpolated meaning just copied over and over, on a monitor/computer its different because each frame has to be rendered, so when you eye does capture it, it could be on a different frame so you dont technically lose out on any visual whatsoever giving you that smooth effect. I play FPS games and on a 120Hz monitor BF3 looks smooth as in if you do a 180/360 turn instead of blur, your eyes will be capturing additional frames that you will see a smooth transition. Now the one con about 120Hz monitor is your card has to be able to produce it and maintain. Anything around 80fps will still be smooth but once you reach lower than 60fps you will notice it being slow.

We were all into the whole IPS vs 120Hz thing and IPS does look nice visually but performancewise 120Hz monitors are really good, I mean whats the point of getting a beastly card if you're going to vsync it to 60fps and only use 60-80% of the card's power. Thats why people who use multigpu or beefy single cards talk about eyefinity or 120Hz monitor performance to see if it can handle those speeds because it could be disadvantage/con for you if you have one but lack to power them.

I've had experiences with 23" 24" 27" acer, sony, asus, eyefinity but they were all at 60Hz, when I experienced the 120Hz monitor it was pretty noticeable. I'm not trying to boast about it but I myself have a 60Hz monitor and I say its perfectly fine for gaming but whenever I see the other monitor its just a different experience. It wont change your life, feed your dog, save world hunger but it could be the next step to those looking for an upgrade because there are people like that (ie: get 3x27" 120Hz for their tri/quad fire/sli setup...) lol.

Now this doesnt have 120Hz but you can get a gist of how fps is in rendering.

http://www.boallen.com/fps-compare.html

Last edited: Jan 23, 2012
  13. amieneel

amieneel Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 5770 + 240 GT PhysX
    lol .. What is going on here ? Someone rename the thread plz !!:stewpid:

14. onemoar

onemoar Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060SC @2250/4550
    nothing to see here just idiots arguing about stuff they know nothing about

15. Eastcoasthandle

Eastcoasthandle Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    No, one should see some sort of video information demonstrating the difference between 60Hz vs 120Hz monitor. Do you have such a link?

16. UZ7

UZ7 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB Vision 3080 10GB
    Read the thread first before posting, its pretty relevant to the topic and its replies, notice the "quotes" they are answering other peoples replies.

If you read it, there is no argument, if you "knew" what we were talking about you wouldn't have said that, common things hypocritical people say. Pretty much I explained how things work and an explanation of how I see things and my opinion. Don't like it? Write a constructive reply thats "relevent to the post".

I know its hard to read paragraphs but in due time if you read it you will understand. Just because you dont know what we're talking about doesnt mean we're idiots.

Clearly from posts like these:
    http://forums.guru3d.com/showpost.php?p=4206700&postcount=3

It's really hard to take you seriously because you don't even know what the person was talking about lol.

17. scheherazade

scheherazade Ancient Guru

GPU:
    fullHDs
    Simple.
    Any opinion about equipment, given by someone who hasn't had a chance to use the equipment for an extended period of time, is worthless.

I can give you my opinion about deep sea diving gear... but it'll mean F-all.

Which naturally leads me to admit that half of what I post is worthless.
    Oh well. Life goes on.

-scheherazade

18. The General

The General Ancient Guru

GPU:
    FirePro W5000 2GB
    I never have any image quality degrading and huge performance hit?
    not really

You clearly didn't read what i said. I said until amd puts the option into their control center for us to enable. Also read what " Raiga " said about dont use them if you playing online games, that tells you right there its wrong to use.

19. Roffle

Roffle Member Guru

GPU:
    ASUS HD 5770 CUcore
    I don't and I won't even try to find one. :rolleyes:
    Just think of 60 FPS vs 120 FPS (on a 120 Hz monitor) like 30 FPS vs 60 FPS (on a 60 Hz monitor).

My regards about this subject ends here. Getting tired of this.

20. Maximus7724

Maximus7724 Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD 7950 PCS+ @ 1150/1500