Games keep crashing every ten minutes. Is this a hardware problem?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Steve30x, Jun 25, 2011.

1. fenjen

fenjen Active Member

GPU:
    Ati HD5850 1gb
    Sorry read over it I guess. But it really doesn't matter that you know what you are doing. You would need to replace all hardware and I read your budget won't really allow you that. So I'd still say, bring it back.

2. The_Fool

The_Fool Maha Guru

GPU:
    2xGIGABYTE Windforce 7950
    A problem like this would require extensive testing and hardware swapping to figure out exactly what's wrong. Given your budget you could just RMA the motherboard in an attempt to get a replacement. If it still happens you can RMA the CPU. Eventually you'd replace the bad component. I highly doubt that it's the RAM sticks themselves since you already tested that.

One thing you could do is monitor your voltages from the PSU to make sure they don't fluctuate by more than a very small amount. HWMonitor can do this. It if doesn't always put out stable voltages, then it will cause odd random crashes. If it happens with a PSU replacement then it's the motherboard that can't control the voltages. However, if the voltages don't fluctuate by more than a very small amount, then that's not the cause.

I once had a problem when the CPU voltage was set to 1.475V. It would randomly drop by .02V and go back up again, intermittently. That little drop is enough to cause a problem if you have an overclock, or if it even happens at the default voltage and clock speed. It doesn't have to be the CPU voltage, either, that fluctuates.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2011
  3. Steve30x

Steve30x Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 5700 XT
    As I said I dont have any spare hardware to test this with and If I was to RMA the parts I would be without a computer for a few weeks> I dont have a reciept fot the motherboard or CPU so I have no proof of purchase which would be an issue. Whatever way I look at it an RMA is out of the question.

4. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1070 GamingX
    Try setting the memory from 1N to 2N.

5. Steve30x

Steve30x Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 5700 XT
    I tried that and Ive also tried 3N. This problem is going downhill rapidly. Now it takes a few downloads of files to get a non corrupt file. HWInfo desnt show my hardware info either.

6. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Sounds like a motherboard problem maybe.....it does happen sometimes.:)

I see that you have an Asus motherboard,you should have a manufacturers warranty for 3 years and a Return to the place of purchase 1 year,if you have to send it back to the manufacturer which will be Asus then they can take a few weeks until you get a replacement,however i have an email address for an Asus Employee who takes care of RMA's and can speed up the process by cutting out alot of Bull****,i had to send my board back a while ago and i got it replaced and sent back to me within 2 weeks,do you want me to give you his email address? As once you give him the rma number he will track it personally for you and get it sorted asap:)

Last edited: Jul 20, 2011
  7. kanej2007

kanej2007 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    Yeah, as Veteran said it's usually a problem with the motherboard.

The BEST way to solve this problem 100% and to find out exactly what is wrong will be to test part by part.

You will have to try a different psu, for example, see if the crashes still occur.

Then motherboard, ram, etc. Keep doing this until the computer stops crashing.

Once the crashing stops, you will know EXACTLY what it was!

I had a similar problem in my previous system, turns out the motherboard was faulty and causing lockups & bsods regularly...

8. Steve30x

Steve30x Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 5700 XT
    Because I have no spare parts to test with and will be without a computer for a few weeks if I rma parts I am saving for a new motherboard and CPU. Then I will attempt to RMA the motherboard and CPU at the same time. If the problem occurs still with a new motherboard and CPU I will change the PSU. I think an AX850 would be good enough for what I am using and taking into consideration the ammount of wattage loss over the years in the PSU.

9. Pinocchio

Pinocchio Member Guru

GPU:
    msi hawk 5770
    if all fans is working fine(gpu/cpu/case) and temps are good,
    maybe you got electrostatic damage somewhere the first time you changed to corsair ram ?

---
    you could also try Furmark for extreme videocard test http://www.ozone3d.net/benchmarks/fur/

Last edited: Jul 19, 2011
  10. Steve30x

Steve30x Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 5700 XT
    I highly doubt its my GPU , because I am having all sorts of problems with the past 5 days that arent related to gaming.

[EDIT] I just ran furmark for 30 minutes with no problems and the max GPU temp was 84c

Last edited: Jul 19, 2011

11. enoch

enoch Banned

GPU:
    Powercolor HD4870
    I think it's your hard drive that's dying:nerd:

12. Steve30x

Steve30x Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 5700 XT
    When I read this 8 days ago I went from raid0 to AHCI on two single HDD's and nothings changed. The problems are getting worse by the day. I'm going to reinstall windows on a 500GB HDD I have lying about that I know is running flawlessly and see if my problem persists , but I highly doubt its my HDD is dying. Its either a PSU , CPU or motherboard problem.

13. BigBlockTowncar

BigBlockTowncar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Evga GTX970 SC
    Sounds like a really annoying problem. One of the bad things about fixing computers is the certain amount of gambling you have to do with replacement parts (if you don't have working spares). In my experience I am always a little nervous about replacing things until I have the new part installed and working.

14. Steve30x

Steve30x Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 5700 XT
    Ive learned that having no spare parts is a no no. If the problem is my current motherboard or CPU then the part cant be used as a spare. I am currently saving for a new CPU , Motherboard , Corsair H100 and Acoustic foam for my case. I just hope its not my PSU.

15. Steve30x

Steve30x Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 5700 XT
    Im using a perfectly good HDD now and am still having the same problems. So its not my HDD thats dying. :banana:

16. Marri

Marri Ancient Guru

GPU:
    I still think having memory set @ auto isn't the best way forward..
    Manually set it according to specs or loosely around it..
    Again use one stick away from the slot that had ur previous memory stick go bad on..

Windows 7 , try using it without all the Aero theme , use basic 2D (Reduce stress windows 7 puts on ur card)
    Uninstall stuff like ur sound card drivers (potential conflict)

It could be ur PSU or ur mother board.. if everything everyones told u till yet hasn't helped identify where the problems coming from..

Last edited: Jul 31, 2011
  17. Steve30x

Steve30x Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 5700 XT
    I never said I had my ram set to auto. I have it set to the specs of the ram 9-9-9-24 1.65v , but at 1333mhz even though the ram is 1600MHz ram.

I dont have Aero installed either , I dont have Xfi software installed and Ive changed from Avast to Microsoft Security Essentials. I think its my motherboard is the problem though.

18. Marri

Marri Ancient Guru

GPU:
    I guess that's probably the case , since u've been @ this problem for a while..
    It's always bizarre with pc's... some of us suffer from very difficult problems to solve while others dont..

If u've got warranty , claim it on the board..
    Or take ur system to ur local store and test it out with a different psu there...
    That's now the only real way available to u..
    Those guys have spare hardware.. etc

Last edited: Jul 31, 2011
  19. nicugoalkeper

nicugoalkeper Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 1060 DUAL OC 6GB
    In 50% of cases the problem is the PSU ! Even if the motherboard is the problem it may be from a PSU surge !